Images
    Country
    Singapore

Anentome helena: killer snail

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Today i spotted this lovely snail being sold at Y618, no doubt it is also sold in various other LFS. For those that doesn't know it, this is one of those new snails from Sulawesi and touted as a devourer of snail and destroyer of mts. Well personally i am quite fond of snails, so i would propably get it in its own tank, but for those who hates snails, this might be a solution other than a loach. The testament on the internet seems to be quite good. Quite interesting, has a probocis that it sticks out like a poison conch, i hope it isn't poisonous.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    woa,
    I'm looking for this miracle creature. I'm much appreciated if you can let me know the price. Thanks.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 13th Apr 2008 at 03:19. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry can't remember the price, but it wasn't too expensive, below $10.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 13th Apr 2008 at 03:19. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    These guys appears very vicious! Just look at this blog!
    http://fishaliciousfish.blogspot.com...-snail-to.html

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic....9316160057c7e6 Heres another testimony, and it multiplies slowly and grazes on algae, whats not to like about the snail? I am going to get some tonite.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    a bit pricy. still feel nerite species are cuter for me

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ooo cute snail!

and it also eats algae.

i'm going to get a few.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I got 3! I suppose i like snails so it is justifies, hope they breed. It moves very fast for a snail.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 14th Apr 2008 at 01:15. Reason: Remove price reference

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    does this snail require the sme parameters as the sulawesi shrimp? if so, it might be unsuitable for most planted tanks since generally planted tanks have lower ph due to co2 injection and/or use of ADA soil

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I saw they put these snails in CRS tanks, and I can see a LOT of empty snail shells on these tanks . Just bought 2, very cute and as small as horn snails.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can anyone confirm where is this snail from? I do not think it is native and I doubt that it is from Sulawesi.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is an assumption that it came from Sulawesi, along with the snails and shrimps that currently being sold. Most of the information on the internet appears to be in German. I haven't seen it eat any snails yet, they have disappeared into my tank. Added 3 freshwater clams, i wonder if it eats bivalve.

Curiousity: is there any reason that you doubt that it comes from Sulawesi?
    Last edited by Shaihulud; 14th Apr 2008 at 10:02.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by guqin View Post
    Can anyone confirm where is this snail from? I do not think it is native and I doubt that it is from Sulawesi.
    It is from Thailand.
    silane

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Forgive me for the wrong information then, the snail was certainly exotic enough Another thing is, i don't think it eats algae, mouth parts all wrong. When it is on the prowl, the MTS will burrow down into the sand enmass, even though they were feeding on some delicious fishfood just a few minute ago. I think they must sense it somehow. Sadly i haven't seen any actions yet, maybe pouch snails or ramshorn is better food.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Not every exotic snail is from Sulawesi.

Biodiversity occurrence data provided by: Museum für Naturkunde, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (Accessed through GBIF Data Portal, www.gbif.net, 2008-04-14)
    http://data.gbif.org/species/16055955

From another German website (which is now inaccessible), these are said to be the habitats of A. helena (though not verified). Pardon the imperfect translation from German language.

The Anentome helena seems to be expressed one "undemanding" wasserschnecke, it in the most different places in Thailand is found:

Indonesia - Java, south - Eastern Asia

Thailand, Prov. Phitsanulok, Kaek River, Sakunothayan wasserfall.
    Habitat: fast-flowing river, above the wasserfalls

Thailand, Prov. Loei, Mekong oxbow E OF Chiang Khan
    Habitat: muddy sandig, banks with stones and roots

Thailand, Prov. Phitsanulok, wasserfall approx.. 5 km S Chattrakan Habitat: more clearly, fast flowing river, rock barriers
    Some husbandry information from the website.

Fodder:
    It eats main from snails, which correspond to their size. In addition, it accepts fodder tablets with animal protein portion.
    Cover lots snails are preferred.

Socialization:
    Is possible for a socialization with dwarf shrimps, and other Gastropoden, than living source of fodder. Also against a moderate fish trimming nothing speaks.

Generally:
    In addition, with centralhard water it is content, to some extent gets along in softer water.
    I am not sure if it eats algae, but if snails are their main diet, then they would certainly need high protein food as substitute. I don't think it would do well with algae based diet in the long term. I take it that the pH suitability is probably 7.0 to 7.5 but will be okay with pH below 7.0.

The information "looks" reliable, but the distribution in Indonesia seems wider than mentioned. It is also actually found in Lake Toba.
    http://www.ilec.or.jp/eg/lbmi/report...bruary2006.pdf

Edit: On the reproduction system, these snails are said to be gonochoristic.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 14th Apr 2008 at 20:15. Reason: Additional information

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Me bad! I guess its because there was such an influx of Sulawesi snails and shrimps that i associated this strange little snails i have never seen before with that particular region. Sat in front of the tank for 1 hour, no action that i can see, no empty snail shells in the tank. Maybe it only eats nerites....

Bought 3 more, am going to release it in my office tank which has lots of pouch snails and ramshorn. I will try apple snails as well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, who knows. Maybe you really got the Sulawesi snails of the genus Tylomelania. Do post some pictures of your snails.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I just realized, these snails are made as a famous traditional food in Vietnam... kinda as fried oyster in S'pore. They are cooked with coconut juice, eat with special fish sauce.. simply delicious

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I really don't think those are A. helena.

I think those are probably the same (or related) species of snails known as balitong or "chut chut" that is eaten here, and are brackish/saltwater species.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Think I saw these little fellow at C328 just now.. Asked uncle and he told me that they are called killer snails.. Wanted to buy but heard uncle said that they will kill other snails like horns, zebra snail also.. Is that really true? Sorry a newbie to snail..

regards
    Samuel

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast