Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Mass order of apistos - Interest Check

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Personally, I would not feed food soaked in medication to fishes unless fishes are sick. Also personally I find that even after rinsing the tubifex, there are still very high chances of apistos being infected by internal bacteria. Often their bellies become sunken and their poo wil be white and stringy. Perhaps I did not rinse them well enough but I rather not take my chances.
    chongyu

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...rlicGuard.html

Found this product at C328. I haven't tried it but online reviews seem good. Might be worthwhile for those who have apistos that might have intestinal issues.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I've tried rinsing tubifex and actually soaking them in the seachem garlic guard in the past. Other than rinsing with aquarium water and picking out only the live ones, are there any precautions to take? Often I find that the tubifex start to develop white rotting patches and these I would definitely avoid feeding.

Personally I find that once an apisto shows obvious signs of intestinal issues it is often too late. I've only managed to get a wild baenschi male to recover after coaxing it to take NLS Thera A pellets which also has a generous amount of garlic.
    chongyu

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not much else you can do with Tubifex. They tend to die off real quick if they are not kept cool. I store mine for a day at most, rinsing the container out several times to remove any dead ones but they seldom last longer than 2 days max. In the past, some people would keep them in ketapang tea, or leave a piece of old ketapang leaf in their container. Seems to keep them alive a little longer. I only add water that is just enough to keep them moist. Removing the gray gunk that they produce along with any other dead bits helps. I get mine fresh from the LFS once every 3 days or so, along with live Moina, since I have some killifish fry growing out at the moment.

If you have a Satellite box available, leaving the Tubifex in there with a constant stream of water can keep them alive for days. I would squirt a small amount into some of my fry boxes and they'd last for at least 3 days before I needed to feed them again. As long as there is detritus and some algae in the container, the worms will stay alive and you can feed the fish as and when required. Any dead ones will just float to the top so removal with a small net is easy.

With dry and frozen foods, it can be a problem where intestinal issues are concerned. Dry foods spoil real fast in our climate, even with a desiccant in the bag or container. Frozen food packs, once opened, should not be used past 2 weeks or so, especially if they are repeatedly thawed. With FBW, if the cubes turn dark, don't use them. I only use the cubes where the worms still look bright red. Once I fed my fish with a dark shrunken cube because I was too lazy to buy a new slab. Ended up with several dead fish in my community tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi guys

Any of you want to meet up this Saturday or Sunday? I am OK with rgds to time & place - but preferably this Saturday around 2.30 p.m., around Serangoon North.

bro Stormhawk - I did use the tauhuay plastic containers - the problem is that you still have to poke hole to let them breathe - and the smell escapes. And, due to the explosion of culture, I ended up with around 10 plastic tubs. It was a straight choice between 10 tubs of microworms or wife - and my wife is prettier & less smelly

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you poke the hole and tape it over with Micropore, then place it in a well-ventilated area, you won't notice the smell. I never kept more than 2 tubs at any one time. They start smelling like bad beer very fast, after a week or two max. I once let a culture go bad, with mold and fungus. Funny thing was, the worms survived on a small patch of the media.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

As for me, choice of live feed will be Blood worms, brine shrimps. I kept the worms in the net, those live and healthy are able to wiggle their way out. Therefore usually will be 2 tau huay container to alternate. Manage to condition Apistogramma to spawn every 2 weeks. if live feed not available, starve them for a day or use frozen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Henry aka joopsg
    Current tank: 1 4 tier 3ft fish rack
    Livestock: WC Ivanacara Adoketa, WC Apistogramma Kelleri 'Red Cheeks', A , WC Apistogramma Mendezi, WC Apistogramma Cruziero, WC Apistogramma Elizabethae and WC Biotoecus Operularis.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Currently, i maintained all my 20+ tanks of apisto collection feeding on brine shrimps and tetra bits mainly.
    i believe if you keep a number of tanks, using specially design brine shrimp hatchet system should not be difficult to manage for brine shrimp feeding
    Joe
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/scope-apisto-blog.html
    Keeping Apisto Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendenzi, Miua, Peixoto, Bitaeniata, Rotkeil, Wilhelmi red, Agassizi Tefe Cacadora, Paucisquamis, N. Adoketa
    Apisto on sale (updated 7th Mar 13):
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/apisto-trading-cart.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by EdwinTay View Post
    hi guys

Any of you want to meet up this Saturday or Sunday? I am OK with rgds to time & place - but preferably this Saturday around 2.30 p.m., around Serangoon North.

Weekend days for me quite hard for now because of work, bro Edwin. I'll PM you my contact number in a bit. Easier to discuss on fishy adventures.
    People say I've got 'no life' because of my hobby. Well, this hobby IS MY LIFE!
    Joseph Soh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

hi bro can u send me Aqua one fish shop address pls...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by apisto31 View Post
    Last week when I called AquaOne, they said no more Apistos for them for now. C328 doesn't bring in apisto lately as well.
    JZX is just waiting for their apistogramma order to come in hopefully next week. This includes Ap. Fresa as well which Im also waiting to get females for my lonesome male. Anyone wants to let go a Female Fresa (Strawberry) let me know!

Lets see how this MO will progress, I might be getting the Maulbruter is its WC.

cheers

Interested? People lose their females, I lose my male -.-

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by SCOPE View Post
    Currently, i maintained all my 20+ tanks of apisto collection feeding on brine shrimps and tetra bits mainly.
    i believe if you keep a number of tanks, using specially design brine shrimp hatchet system should not be difficult to manage for brine shrimp feeding
    hi bro.... you keep alot apisto, mind to tell me where you get them??? i looking for Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendenzi, Miua, Peixoto, Bitaeniata,Agassizi Tefe Cacadora, Paucisquamis, N. Adoketa

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mass order of apistos - Interest Check

Hey guys, glad to have logged in again after so long. Been busy with work and now I'm back hunting for Apisto again.
    Really interested in this MO.

Cheers!

Regards,
    Misery.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Misery View Post
    Hey guys, glad to have logged in again after so long. Been busy with work and now I'm back hunting for Apisto again.
    Really interested in this MO.

Cheers!

Regards,
    Misery.
    Did you know where can find Apisto?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi guys

wow...more & more brothers interested. For your info, I just went fish farm visiting (Mainland, Seaview etc.) - no luck. I understand that someone has already said that AquaOne does not carry apistos for the time being. I have put the word out to various fish shops of the interest in apistos. Unfortunately, it looks like it's very difficult to source nowadays.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi guys

wow...more & more brothers interested. For your info, I just went fish farm visiting (Mainland, Seaview etc.) - no luck. I understand that someone has already said that AquaOne does not carry apistos for the time being. I have put the word out to various fish shops of the interest in apistos. Unfortunately, it looks like it's very difficult to source nowadays.
    Hi Edwin how is ur new purchases doing? Yesterday i separate my male away from the female carrying some fries. How long should the fries stay with the mother?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi Markvtec2

Thanks for asking. My apistos are doing fine. But I can't see them...haha. The reason is that I put them in GEX S tanks together with thick java ferm on wood ($2 each at Polyart). Occasionally, when I put food out, I will see them. If you recollect, I bought Norberti, Bit. Shushupe, Oregon & Pantalone. This batch is a little weird as I found that the females are much bigger than the males.

bro Markvtec2, you bought the Pandurini right? From my limited experience, as long as there is enough cover for the fries to hide, you can put BOTH parents right up to when the fries are grown up.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi Markvtec2

Thanks for asking. My apistos are doing fine. But I can't see them...haha. The reason is that I put them in GEX S tanks together with thick java ferm on wood ($2 each at Polyart). Occasionally, when I put food out, I will see them. If you recollect, I bought Norberti, Bit. Shushupe, Oregon & Pantalone. This batch is a little weird as I found that the females are much bigger than the males.

bro Markvtec2, you bought the Pandurini right? From my limited experience, as long as there is enough cover for the fries to hide, you can put BOTH parents right up to when the fries are grown up.
    Thanks bro Edwin. I remove the male to another tank. Currently female with fries. Start feeding a bit of decap bbs. Saw only 15 to 20 fries.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Since you have removed the male. most probably you can keep the fry with the female til they are quite old.
    What I normally do is try to remove the fry to those Satellite external breeding traps when they are about 2 weeks old.
    chongyu

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i am some females raised the fires up to 1 month plus... if you keep the tank dark or cover up the glass front with newspaper etc to avoid disturbance / shock to the female
    Joe
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/scope-apisto-blog.html
    Keeping Apisto Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendenzi, Miua, Peixoto, Bitaeniata, Rotkeil, Wilhelmi red, Agassizi Tefe Cacadora, Paucisquamis, N. Adoketa
    Apisto on sale (updated 7th Mar 13):
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/apisto-trading-cart.html

Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast