Country
    Singapore

Help with staurogyne repens

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all!

I face a problem of the leaves of my staurogyne repens being eaten up. I figured it could be the apple snail that I have, but threads online have suggested otherwise. Any advice would be great! I've uploaded a picture so that it's easier to understand what I'm referring to. uploadfromtaptalk1360915435488.jpg

Other livestock in the same aquarium:
    1. Scarlet badis
    2. Ottos
    3. Rasboras hengeli and espei
    4. Sakura shrimps
    5. Yamato shrimps
    6. Nerite snail

Help! :banghead:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help with staurogyne repens

Staurogyne repens (Tropica No 049G) is a freshly green, compact and hardy plant for the foreground of the aquarium. Its nearest relative in the aquaristic is Hygrophila butStaurogyne repens is different with its marked compact, low and bushy stature and small green leaves.
    In 2005, we received this plant from an aquarist and later, also Tropica visited the habitat of Staurogyne repens. Here,Staurogyne repens grew on rocks in the River Rio Cristalino in Mato Grosso in the southern Amazonas. DNA analyses reveal that Staurogyne repens is closely related toHygrophila which is also present in South America.
    Staurogyne repens is a freshly green plant with stiff brownish stems. The leaves are relatively small as compared with the Hygrophila genus, in particular, when under water.Staurogyne repens also grows somewhat slower than the known species of Hygrophila. The sales pot resembles that of Hygrophila with upright stems but Staurogyne repens also have several horizontal stems produced at the basis of the plant.
    It is particularly under water that Staurogyne repensdiffers from the known species of Hygrophila. Staurogyne repens is suitable for the foreground and middle ground of the aquarium. During planting in the aquarium, the longest upright shoots should be cut off and each pot should be divided into 2 to 4 pieces which are then planted close to each other in a small group. The emergent leaves will eventually die-off when under water and these may also be removed during planting. By doing so, the low compact growth form is maintained. In the aquarium, Staurogyne repens develops new horizontally creeping shoots from the plant basis which soon form a beautiful carpet. The ability makes it an ideal plant for the foreground.
    Tropica produces Staurogyne repens from tissue culture and it is available in post as well as on pieces of lava stones (AquaDecor in size M and S). The AquaDecor series may be used together with the potted form to create an aquascape in the foreground or middle ground of the aquarium, but it is also suitable for creating colour contrast to the smaller and lighter green foreground plants such as Hemianthus callitrichoides or Utricularia graminifolia. When planting the AquaDecor version ofStaurogyne repens we also recommend cutting off long vertical shoots in order to stimulate the compact and more attractive growth form of Staurogyne repens.
    Staurogyne repens is a strong and vital plant that prefers medium to high light and supplement of CO2. Staurogyne repens also requires some fertilization with nutrients. A combination of a nutrient rich substrate (Tropica AquaCare substrate and Tropica AquaCare capsules) in addition to supply of micro nutrients (Tropica AquaCare liquid) is necessary in order to maintain the freshly green colours of the leaves and constant growth ground cover. In case the vertical shoots have been removed prior to planting, it may take months until further trimming is required. At that time, new vertical shoots may be removed on a weekly basis.
    Staurogyne repens is apart from being an excellent foreground plant for the planted tank also very suitable for nano aquaria because of its slow and creeping growth and hardy nature.
    Have good time with Staurogyne repens.
    Fishy Business Elements P/L
    Contact: Roger Goh @ 62412622 / 98259220 / Fax:62425616 | [Retail Space/Store/Gallery] 96C Jalan Senang Level 3 Singapore 418483

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help with staurogyne repens

Any idea what feeds on the staurogyne repens?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2