Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    just get a chiller. if not you will end up spending more

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Titanium radiator + fan to replace chiller

Quote Originally Posted by Land2013 View Post
    Are you bully newcomer? I already explain why write the $ in that way in the very first page to explain.
    I am naggy , anyway.. to further check on details. As mentioned with you let us know if details.
    Many people will help you check, doing it alone very taxing.

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    just get a chiller. if not you will end up spending more

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Chiller might be more practical, your not wrong.
    But DIY is quite the poison for some guys (which i see a few already inside this thread hehe)
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Start a hobby with DIY is always a good start as there was passion there and it could prolong the interest as long still not yet digging money from pocket. The idea may not break though today but it good to discuss.

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Titanium radiator + fan to replace chiller

Start a hobby with DIY is always a good start as there was passion there and it could prolong the interest as long still not yet digging money from pocket. The idea may not break though today but it good to discuss.
    As you progress along you might find that for certain things it would have been cheaper if you had NOT diy. However it would not have been so much fun though. Many of these things we have tried before and yet we end up using chillers. There must be a reason to it right? Anyway have fun on your exploration.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

well said.

i know a few in forum, going far on DIY even when they are using and owning the most practical solution.
    i will deepen some research and try if there is any more posion. i mean data good to share later.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

think you should put the price as US$30++++
    since the place you got from is China, I think it is ok to put the price ... not so good to put LFS price as we can just travel to any LFS locally to buy stuff hence partially affecting the LFS business...
    It was US$3* and it was a figure there. Not nice to put the complete $$.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Was digging around when i found this thread. Previously my 2ft tank temperature can soar up to 32'C with an ambient temp of around 30'C in my living room.

I have since taken a few steps and the system now is able to maintain the temperature at around 26'C with the exceptance of extremely humid days.

1. Changing my canister filter to a greener model. Previous model pumps about 1000l/hr at 22watts. Current model flows 1120l/hr at 15watts.

2. Changing out all the 3 T5 tubes to a single Quad LED fixture. Electricity consumption dropped from 72watts to about 25watts.

3. Added a Boyu FS55 hang on side fan controlled by a DIY digital thermostat.

4. As my tank comes with a hood, i have bored a hole directly above my LED fixture and mounted a 80mm case fan which exhausts heat and humidity from within the tank. This is connected to the LED powersupply.

The digital thermostat helps to regulate the temperature between 26-27'C. If my living room aircond is on at night, temperature of the tank can drop below 25'C.
    Equipment:-
    Classica Bow Front, Fluval 306 Canister + DIY PVC/EHEIM piping,Aquazonic 5W UVC,Green Element Plant EVO Quad 24" 6500K,DIY dimmable Dawn/Dusk LED strip,ANS CO2 regulator with solenoid + UP Aqua Super Diffuser,Boyu FS-55 fan w/ DIY Digital Thermostat
    Creating an underwater nirvana & loving it!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Redember View Post
    ... As my tank comes with a hood
    Interesting, i was surprised at how your tank temp could be higher than ambient temp, until i saw your last point... covered tanks really do trap alot more heat compared to open top tanks, good thing that you changed your equipment setup (especially the lights and fans) to reduce heat accumulation under the enclosed hood.

I guess if you convert to an open top tank, most of those inherent heat issues will go away, and it'll require even less power to keep the water temp low too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Interesting, i was surprised at how your tank temp could be higher than ambient temp, until i saw your last point... covered tanks really do trap alot more heat compared to open top tanks, good thing that you changed your equipment setup (especially the lights and fans) to reduce heat accumulation under the enclosed hood.

I guess if you convert to an open top tank, most of those inherent heat issues will go away, and it'll require even less power to keep the water temp low too.
    Yups agreed. Wife prefers a covered tank as it looks more neat and contemporary. Its easier to dust as well during our weekly housekeeping. Just changed the 80mm fan today to a 12vdc 2.4w Papst fan. This guy pulls more CFM,quieter and is virtually vibration free.
    Classica Bow Front, Fluval 306 Canister + DIY PVC/EHEIM piping,Aquazonic 5W UVC,Green Element Plant EVO Quad 24" 6500K,DIY dimmable Dawn/Dusk LED strip,ANS CO2 regulator with solenoid + UP Aqua Super Diffuser,Boyu FS-55 fan w/ DIY Digital Thermostat

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Redember View Post
    Yups agreed. Wife prefers a covered tank as it looks more neat and contemporary. Its easier to dust as well during our weekly housekeeping. Just changed the 80mm fan today to a 12vdc 2.4w Papst fan. This guy pulls more CFM,quieter and is virtually vibration free.
    you can add rubber washers between to further lower any small vibration.

interested with your DIY thermostat, I saw some selling online but they were not UK plug based.

Sent from GT-N7105 powered by Temasek CM11

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Great minds think alike! i have inserted foam pads on all four corners of the fan instead of rubber washers and they works great. Below are some of the pictures of my DIY digital thermostat. I have specifically chosen my unit to run solely on 12VDC instead of 230VAC for safety and convenience purposes. I have a common 12VDC supply providing power to all my lighting and cooling accesories on my tank. The digital thermostat module was bought off eBay for around S$17 plus shipping. The rest of the project box,light indicator,switches & speaker jacks were bought in Sim Lim Tower. Holes were cut using a Dremel with carbide mill.

Last edited by Redember; 21st Jan 2014 at 00:01.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have a hooded tank too and yes it gets extra warm. I just leave the front cover open most of the time to keep the tank cooler.

Great job on the DIY box Redember. Could you provide a wiring diagram for those who wish to replicate this project?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Foam pads should actually work better as vibration noise dampeners.

oh... this one!!!! almost wanted to eBay this too and copy from reef forums for a ac240 one .

btw good handiwork you have

Sent from GT-N7105 powered by Temasek CM11

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Redember, where did you get the black box?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I believe Sim Lim tower has alot to choose from ...

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    I believe Sim Lim tower has alot to choose from ...
    ok,thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not really good at drawing electrical diagrams. Gave them back to my teachers long ago. Here its a sketch i roughly drawn out. This is based on 12VDC model. Do not attempt this on a 230VAC controller.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123