Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Question on Cpo : Death after mating?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question on Cpo : Death after mating?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi to all bros, it has been awhile since i kept smaller planted tanks..
    So recently i kept a couple of CPO, in my nicely scape tank with alot of hiding place.

One of the morning, i saw a pair of my CPO mating... The action took place for around 30 mins.. Then the male left, leaving the female lying on the gravel.

But while i was observing my female.. She sentries out and almost lifeless.. I dint bother much and the next day, i found a dead female in my tank..

This has happened a few times in my tank, from what i noticed ....

Can any bro share why, or an experience to prevent this?

Thank you
    Been awhile since i last kept shrimps/ fishes, please give me your kind guidance!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Question on Cpo : Death after mating?

Likely, she was exhausted and was unable to right herself after the mating was complete. Any males present or the female herself should have been separated from the rest and placed in a nursery tank until she gets berried and carries the eggs till hatching. The female usually molts after the mating and this may also cause her death if she is unable to molt successfully.

Are there other males in the tank? Since crayfish are mostly solitary and rather aggressive at times when meeting their own kind, the males can kill the female if they wanted to. The males must be in the correct form (Form 1) to successfully mate. If they are in Form 2 before their molt, they are unable to mate and will probably kill the females out of sheer frustration. So if you have several males in the tank, they might exhaust the female by repeatedly trying to mate with her.

http://www.bluecrayfish.com/reproduction.htm

The next time you attempt a CPO mating, keep the sexes separate as per the instructions in that site, which should also apply to the CPO. I figure its best you watch the pair through the spawning sequence and keep the female safe from the attentions of the other males.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Question on Cpo : Death after mating?

Interesting..
    To date i have around 3 males and 3 females in the tank.. But all my 3 female die subsequently after mating..
    What i did notice is that they mate for around 30-45 mind, and after that the female just lie there, and doesnt want to flip over.. And slowly she just became lifeless..

Other times was that the male was caught mating with her, after that she flipped and disappeared, and the next day she died. I can recognize my CPO pretty well.. So confirm its the female that mated the day before...

Anyway bro, thanks for your input, will read up the link!
    Been awhile since i last kept shrimps/ fishes, please give me your kind guidance!