Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo

Starting glosso tank [update]

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just wanna know is it better to have a thick layer of substrate at the bottom? what kind of base is good to use? tank size will be 2ft by 1 ft by 1ft. Lighting i have a choice of either 1X36w or 1X55w pl, Which would be better? Filter is a eheim 2213, now looking for an external CO2 reactor in order to save space and look as natural as possible. Keeping pure glosso only. Any ideas on what kind of fish/critters to put in? Tank will be placed at foot of bed

Thanks in advance for any tips and info. btw. read AQUOI's article already.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    bump

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Are you sure you are not going to venture into other plants and will stick faithfully to Glosso? If yes, a pack of JBL will suffice otherwise I personally would add something more potent. 2.5~3 wpg will be enough for lights regardless PL or FL. As to what fishes.....it's really up to you.

BTW, read some more

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    With a 36 watt , i will get about 2.5 w/g with 55w i get close to 4wpg. dont know which one will be better though. I will be sticking purely to glosso except will stuff some fast growing plants inside first to prevent any algae and stuff like that. Another question, where to get JBL base fert?

Feedback Score
    55W seems better. glosso will "creep" more successfully with higher wattages. but u will want to monitor your temp and CO2 levels. i believe u need more Co2 when u have more lights.

just my opinion.

jon.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I will suggest more light.

3W per gal is only a rough gauge.

It also depends on the size of your tank.
    As your tank gets smaller, you will need to increase the rule to maybe 5,6 or even 7W per gal.

If you look at amano's tank, he is usually using 4x20W for a 2ft tank, which add up to an amazing 80W.

In addition, the types of plants that you intend to keep is also another factor. Gloss is light demanding if you want it to creep.

Maybe you can try out with a 36W PL first. If the result is not too good then you can consider adding another one.

Hope this help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    thanks for all the help guys, i have both lights, i will try using the 55w one first, if its too little i will try to get a 2 X36 w. but i'm using the shallow 2ft (1ft height) so i think it should be sufficient with the 55w. Going to grow pure glosso only.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    More light is not always better. I think Tom Barr pointed out in the APD that glosso does not require high light to creep. As long as pruning is being carried out on a regular basis coupled with good CO2 and nutrients, you are going to grow a nice lawn of glosso. New folks are often misled into thinking that more light is always better...I can tell you, its more tricky and things go bad real quick if you run low on CO2 or nutrients. You are better off with 2x15w FL for your new tank. Good even distribution of light and demand on CO2 and nutrients is less taxing and more room for error.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Besides, you are growing only Glosso, nothing is going to shade them

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    guys 1 more thing, how long do you think i should leave the lighting on for? thinking of starting off at around 6-7 hrs. do you think that is too long/short? Yes that is right, glosso only, probably only the rocks will block some light.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Try 8-10hrs....should be fine if you go the 2w/g way. Make sure you keep up on the CO2 and nutrients which is pretty easy. Are you using CO2 by the way?

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    yes going to use CO2, will try to blast it with 2-3bps getting it up to about 30-40ppm btw anyone knows where to get some pvc piping? i want to make a diy external one to save space. budget is under 20 for the diffusor.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    Another thing guys, anyone of you all have some glosso trimmings? Need them to start on the tank this weekend.

Cheers
    Bryan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    OK, tank is up and running. 2 days already, light at 10 hrs, co2 at 2-3 bps. only thing i noticed was that the glosso seems to grow upwards. some of it has started to creep. is that normal? will those which grow upwards turn down? or must i trim them off? any experts please help. Havent started to dose anything yet

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:95044818ac="Encriptic"]OK, tank is up and running. 2 days already, light at 10 hrs, co2 at 2-3 bps. only thing i noticed was that the glosso seems to grow upwards. some of it has started to creep. is that normal? will those which grow upwards turn down? or must i trim them off? any experts please help. Havent started to dose anything yet[/quote:95044818ac]

I've tried glosso on a small scale and in my opinion, there are some which will grow 'upward' first, then lean towards the gravel. And for some, another new shoot will sprout near the gravel and start to creep. You can then trim the 'standing/leaning' shoot. I guess that's what they mean by trimming glosso to keep it low.

Update us on your progress ya?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    Alright, thanks selwyn, will do. Besides, did yours get infected with any kind of algae? Right now i have 4 otos and getting some SAE later on. Do you think thats too much?

CHeers
    Bryan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:1892eeca4f="Encriptic"]Alright, thanks selwyn, will do. Besides, did yours get infected with any kind of algae? Right now i have 4 otos and getting some SAE later on. Do you think thats too much?

CHeers
    Bryan[/quote:1892eeca4f]

There isn't any algae in my tank.........yet.......I believe glossos are very susceptible to green spot algae.

Otos and SAEs are fine. Yamatoes as well perhaps? :P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    i will try to stay off yamatos, tank is in my room and water temp drops to like 23 at night when air con is on, day temp can rise to abt 29 cos of afternoon sun facing. i'm afraid that they might not like the drastic change of temp.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Guys, I read the past messages about Glosso. I'm also new to this. I have just started my 4ft planted tank for about 3 wks.
    I have glosso lining the front of my entire length of the tank. I noticed that there is a flim of green stuff on the middle of the tank. On closer examination, I saw that they are small green spots, about 0.5-1.0mm. I presume that these are algae.
    Are they harmful? How do I get rid?
    I have 9 SAE, 10 Yamoto, 2 plecos and 4 platys. Do I need more living things?

MS

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    its probably spot algae, like that growing on your tank glass. Try to use otos. My otos like removed all of the bga on some of the plants i float inside to remove the excess nutrients for the first week so that no algae will occur. Or maybe your tanks nutrient balance is wrong, therefore growth is stunted and algae sets in. with high light and low co2 levels, algae can also occur. my glosso tank will be run by these 3 perimeters, high light (55w for 2ft shallow tank (3.7w/g) , high co2 (2bps), proper dosing (not over dosing). Hopefully this will help my tank succeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast