2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Low tech nano/dirt tanks

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Bro good luck with your ns. How nice if they planted tank in the bunk!!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Goalkeeper View Post
    Bro good luck with your ns. How nice if they planted tank in the bunk!!
    Haha thanks goalkeeper. Waiting for the enlistment letter.. How i wish i can bring my tank over to tekong. LOL

Just hoping that the tank not be overrun by algae while i'm away.
    Last edited by diazman; 11th Jun 2014 at 22:50.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    Haha thanks goalkeeper. Waiting for the enlistment letter.. How i wish i can bring my tank over to tekong. LOL

Just hoping that the tank not be overrun by algae while i'm away.
    bro, still not yet enlist ar?
    Faster go in, faster come out....
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    bro, still not yet enlist ar?
    Faster go in, faster come out....
    cannot lurh boss. Wished I could have gone in earlier. Missed out June/August intake due to extended medical checkup.. Wasted 2 months review my blood pressure.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

While cleaning up the front glass this evening, found out that my wisteria sort of "closes up" its leaves way too early before lights out (12am) (already "closed up" at 10pm). Anyone with this plant experiencing the same thing? Should i be concerned? Or should i go ahead and trim the them? Advice appreciated!

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

quick update:

Uprooted the right side of the front "lawn". Didn't realize that one of the mother plant grew long, making the scape looked out small. Planning to switch to glosso but until I am able to find a good source, it may stay like this for quite some time..

And the up rooting process resulted in this:

(Half a pot?) worth of e.ten and some hairgrass that grew back out of sight. Anyone wants this? refer to my give thread: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...540#post779540

Last edited by diazman; 16th Jun 2014 at 22:34.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

quick update:

Uprooted the right side of the front "lawn". Didn't realize that one of the mother plant grew long, making the scape looked out small. Planning to switch to glosso but until I am able to find a good source, it may stay like this for quite some time..

And the up rooting process resulted in this:

(Half a pot?) worth of e.ten and some hairgrass that grew back out of sight. Anyone wants this? refer to my give thread: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...540#post779540

I'm finding time to decom my indoor tank. (but I just trim the day before lol)
    Come toa payoh find me if you want glosso.

Weather is really crap last 2 months and most of my crops died off due to neglect + late nights at work.

But die die can spare you half of what I have.

Can sms or whatsapp me to meet up. I need go Lfs to restock stuff soon... Maybe after payday hahaha

Sent from GT-N7105 powered by Temasek CM11

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

So I went shopping today to swap the lightset for a LED one (That was the original plan)

Instead, I came back with these... So much for self control. HAHAHA!

Swapped the PL clip on lightset for the Up Aqua T series. It may be a bit hard to see in the picture but after using a Philips Daylight bulb, the LED seems to give off a blueish/reddish kind of light? Is this the same with the Z series? Hope these can sustain my tank. Was quite surprise despite the lower wattage compared to the Z series, the brightness seemed almost the same as the Philips 14 Watts bulb. Only time will tell..

Also, kinda made a judgement mistake with the lightset. Supposedly fits a 36 cm profile, but the wire stand thingy overshot, so had to DIY a "stand" using some left over clear PVC pipe. Placed as close to the water surface to maximize light intensity. Voila

In other updates, swapped the bamboo makeshift diffuser for a ceramic diffuser, was not dissapointed, it actually works for a DIY setup .

Also, got my hands on some marsilea hirsuta. My long time favorite foreground plant. Saw some glosso at c328, but they were badly damaged. Must have been out for quite some time. (rotting and smelled really bad)
    Last edited by diazman; 18th Jun 2014 at 16:20.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

another way you can cut the bottom pvc pipe to vertically fit the rim ,cut and adjust the height

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by limz_777 View Post
    another way you can cut the bottom pvc pipe to vertically fit the rim ,cut and adjust the height
    Yeah bro The PVC sits nicely on the rim. Probably will source for some clear connectors and work the pvc pipes a bit higher from there. Kinda hard to find the connector as the pipes i bought was smaller in diameter compared to the normal sized ones and i couldn't find any suitable connectors from my neighborhood LFS just now.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Been a while since i updated the tank:

1) Did a major rescape after some of the wood in the tank started rotting, fouling the water parameters..

While seeing bro felix's tank. Thanks to him i got poison on stone setups Raised the substrate from left over materials.

The stones you see in the scape is one huge stone I got off from aunty's shop, broken up into multiple pieces.

Planning to keep to scape for as long as possible

Plant list also refreshed:

- Un-identified crypt species (suspect maybe crypt undulata)
    - Staurogyne repens
    - Rotala Macrandra "red"
    - Sole survivor Nana var mini
    - Marsilea Hirsuta

Inhabitants : 8 ember tetras & and snails

2) Finally got a battery ATO setup going. No more frequent manual top-ups! (thanks to melthazor for supplying the float switch!)

P.S: To mods, would it be possible to shift this thread to the aquascaping section? Many thanks in advance

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I will put a request for the move... When I have time to login Aq at home..

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

End October update.

The crypts are doing well. Not sure which variant though. Marselia stopped spreading when I took out the co2, hence its incomplete lawn. Somewhere down the road the S repens badly melted..

Hopefully they (algae) doesn't come knocking on this tiny setup during my confinement period..

Fishes include 4 pristella? Tetra, 2 ember tetra, 2 newly introduced Otto and approximately 8 golden clam housed in the HOF chamber

Last edited by diazman; 25th Oct 2014 at 23:05.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

and approximately 8 golden clam housed in the HOF chamber
    Thats a pretty good idea to put the golden clams in the hang-on filter, it ensures they receive constant water circulation and access to suspended particle food matter. At the same time, they are kept securely in one place too.

Just curious, how did you position them inside the hang-on filter? Is it easy to check on them from time to time?
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Thats a pretty good idea to put the golden clams in the hang-on filter, it ensures they receive constant water circulation and access to suspended particle food matter. At the same time, they are kept securely in one place too.

Just curious, how did you position them inside the hang-on filter? Is it easy to check on them from time to time?
    I just utilize a metal mesh meant for tying mosses and made kinda like a cage near the hot outflow.

I understand that the clams need some sand for their activity, so I've been looking for a plastic container ( like a filter cartridge) suitable enough to be placed inside the HOF instead.

The clams are surprisingly doing well. Some times they can be seen "eating" off whatever got stuck on the metal mesh.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've seen someone say that the clams are high because a single clam death would cause an ammonia spike to wipe out a 2 feet tank. Any truth in that? On the other hand, where did you get the clams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Forsalmon View Post
    I've seen someone say that the clams are high because a single clam death would cause an ammonia spike to wipe out a 2 feet tank. Any truth in that? On the other hand, where did you get the clams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do have concerns about ammonia spike so I heavy stock the tank with plants, including floaters and conduct 30-50% WC to be on the safe side.

So far, I only had one clam dying to date and my tank water remains clear, no noticeable effects on the livestock.

The clams can be bought off from c328 aunty's shop

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I just utilize a metal mesh meant for tying mosses and made kinda like a cage near the hot outflow.

I understand that the clams need some sand for their activity, so I've been looking for a plastic container ( like a filter cartridge) suitable enough to be placed inside the HOF instead.

The clams are surprisingly doing well. Some times they can be seen "eating" off whatever got stuck on the metal mesh.
    Thanks for the photo, thats a good method to keep the clams in place and still visible to be checked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsalmon View Post
    I've seen someone say that the clams are high because a single clam death would cause an ammonia spike to wipe out a 2 feet tank. Any truth in that? On the other hand, where did you get the clams
    Yeah, dead clams will generate ammonia too, just like equivalent sized dead fishes/shrimps/snails, but usually if only one or two small ones die and the tank's filtration/beneficial bacteria can process it quickly, or there are lots of plants to absorb the ammonia, or there are lots of scavengers like shrimps and snails who can eat it up, then the ammonia effects should still be minimal.

Most people get worried with keeping clams because they dig into the soil or sand substrate and disappear, so when they die no one knows. But in the case of how diazman placed the clams in the hang-on filter, he can access and check on them easily, so any dead clams can be removed quickly before they cause issues.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I did originally placed those clams in the tank on a DIY suspended plastic tray but considering my tank size, i decided to move those clams into the HOF instead. Still waiting for the right time to upgrade the tank..

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nicely done!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast