Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi total beginner here - Questions regarding new low tech/low maint. tank setup

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hi total beginner here - Questions regarding new low tech/low maint. tank setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Lulu,

Most of us use T5, Full name is T5HO. (Wikipedia link)
    There is another format T5EE (Energy efficiency), it is lower wattage and more cost saving version. It just might be the type you need.

The rock should be those layered rocks. Pretty but you'll need matching ones to make a nice rockscape.

@wongce, you forgot TS using low height. the intensity will be higher compared to normal 2 footers. but i agree algae is a part of a natural tank, just more or less.

@urban, nice. like the way you give credits properly. eh OT: your feeding poison so soon ah
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hi total beginner here - Questions regarding new low tech/low maint. tank setup

@Wongce Huh. I thought the lavarocks would lower pH because it said so on the packaging Ok will bear in mind about the pH thanks!

@Felix Thanks for the info, will look out for the T5EE tubes the next time I go to LFS.

I just arranged my driftwood and rocks for testing. Any comments or feedback on my first hardscape attempt?

Please ignore the mess behind the tank haha. Haven't bought oyama paper yet.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

T5ee, go ntuc look at their t5 tubes.... every else i tried to look for cheaper T5HO ended up only with T5EE..... (which made me abit sian...)

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Felix

Update: Finally bought everything I needed, planted and flooded the tank

Substrate: ADA New Amazonia & some buried lavarocks for added height/aeration/bacteria colony.
    Also added Bacter 100, Tournaline BC and Super Clear. (I had a bottle of Old Sea Mud to add too but it slipped my mind )
    Plants used:
    Glossostigma elatinoides
    Bacopa monnieri
    Hydrocotyle leucocephala
    Rotala sp Colorata
    Anubias barteri var nana Mini
    Taiwan Moss
    Salvinia natans
    & one unknown plant. (Right side of Bacopa in middleground, any idea what plant that is?)

Before planting:

After planting:

Also have 2 questions:
    While planting I disturbed the substrate and now I have bits of soil floating at the water surface. Will these eventually sink or do I have to remove them manually?
    I also noticed what looks like small pockets of "condensation" in my substrate all around the tank.
    Here's what it looks like:

Is it anything to be concerned about?

Thanks guys! Excited to finally have everything set up!

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Finally you started the tank...lol

Pink lights?? Are they for planted tanks?

1) will settle down,don't worry
    2) no issue...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    Finally you started the tank...lol

Pink lights?? Are they for planted tanks?

1) will settle down,don't worry
    2) no issue...
    Hahaha yeah, was busy with work
    Not sure if the pink light is ok for planted tank. Its a 24W T5, on the box it says suitable for planted aquarium, stimulate photosynthesis etc.
    I have a normal white T5 tube in my holder as well, was planning to use it for morning photoperiod & the pink one for night photoperiod (3 hrs each for now).
    Good to know the "condensation" is nothing bad

Have another issue now though. My tank is constantly at 30-31 degrees. Would keeping cherry shrimp be out of the question now?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Let me guess, the light is from aquazonic?? I am not sure about usefulness of pink lights for planted tank though...hehe you try and let us know...

I would suggest you to get a simple fan setup... To keep it to around 28-29. I find plants grow better in lower temperature. Shrimps are more sensitive to temperature changes...30-31 might not be suitable for them,unless you are planning to have cincalok hehe...i keep them with aquarium fan,so far so good.

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    Let me guess, the light is from aquazonic?? I am not sure about usefulness of pink lights for planted tank though...hehe you try and let us know...

I would suggest you to get a simple fan setup... To keep it to around 28-29. I find plants grow better in lower temperature. Shrimps are more sensitive to temperature changes...30-31 might not be suitable for them,unless you are planning to have cincalok hehe...i keep them with aquarium fan,so far so good.
    Yeah, the pink tube is Aquazonic as well haha. I'll monitor my plants closely
    Hmm I read your blog and saw you were recommending a Kotobuki fan. Might try that but I need to convince family members first.
    Tank is in living room and they are particular about noise..

Does anyone have success with keeping cherry shrimp at constant 30-31 degrees? I did read a few posts saying they kept & bred cherries at 30 degrees.
    I do agree that lower temperature will be better though! I'm not even sure I can keep tetras at this temperature.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I got both Kotobuki & mr aqua tornado fan... Both are almost silent... I will review mr aqua when i am free this weekend...busy with work

I doubt you can hear the operation sound of the fan, my aquariums are all at living room too...

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Almost silent. Kotobuki is good.
    fans still do have a slight noise, but only if your close enough then you will be able to hear

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Wongce & Felix

Thanks! I think I definitely need a fan. Tank temp is currently 32 degrees . Starting to suspect its because there's no air circulation in that area at all.
    Last night when I tested, raised thermometer out of the tank and it was 27 degrees. Placed it back in the water and it jumped to 31.5...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

pretty hot nowadays... A really good time to test how high the water temp is during the hot season and prepare for it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My planted tank might become bare if its going to stay this hot until June
    Don't think my plants are doing so well. Taiwan moss is turning yellow and one of my bacopa's stem had melted T_T
    Panicked and threw some ice bricks inside (frozen dechlorinated water) but pretty sure my temperature will hit 31/32 degrees later.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Re: Hi total beginner here - Questions regarding new low tech/low maint. tank setup

Its quite odd that your tank's water temperature is so much higher than the ambient room temperature.... usually the tank water temperature should be equal or more often slightly cooler than the room's temperature.

Is the tank facing direct sunlight coming through a window? That could heat up the water over a period of time and make it stay warm even into the evening.

Maybe you can test with just a glass of plain water. Let the water stand for a day, test the temperature in the room, then the water in the cup, see the results.

Maybe also check your filter. I've not used that "shiruba" brand filter before, but perhaps there could be a possibility that the motor is overheating and somehow transferring heat into the water? I guess you can try switching it off for 2-3 hours and test the water temperature to see if there is any difference.

Also check if there are any equipment close by the tank or in the cabinet which is radiating heat, it could be contributing to the increased temperature too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Its quite odd that your tank's water temperature is so much higher than the ambient room temperature.... usually the tank water temperature should be equal or more often slightly cooler than the room's temperature.

Is the tank facing direct sunlight coming through a window? That could heat up the water over a period of time and make it stay warm even into the evening.

Maybe you can test with just a glass of plain water. Let the water stand for a day, test the temperature in the room, then the water in the cup, see the results.

Maybe also check your filter. I've not used that "shiruba" brand filter before, but perhaps there could be a possibility that the motor is overheating and somehow transferring heat into the water? I guess you can try switching it off for 2-3 hours and test the water temperature to see if there is any difference.

Also check if there are any equipment close by the tank or in the cabinet which is radiating heat, it could be contributing to the increased temperature too.
    Yeah, I find it strange as well :/
    My tank is in a shaded corner of the living room away from windows and direct sunlight.
    There's no other equipment near my tank that could generate heat.
    My filter does feel warm to the touch though, not sure if its the thing causing the problem.
    If I leave my filter off for 2-3 hours will BB (if any exists yet) die?
    Will try leaving a glass of water out also, thanks!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Re: Hi total beginner here - Questions regarding new low tech/low maint. tank setup

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    My filter does feel warm to the touch though, not sure if its the thing causing the problem.
    A properly running filter should be relatively cool to touch... though i guess that could vary between different filter brands too.

Usually a filter becomes warm when the motor is running partially dry, or something is clogging it and the motor is straining under too much load.

Would be a good idea to check it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    If I leave my filter off for 2-3 hours will BB (if any exists yet) die?
    Oops... i forgot about the beneficial bacteria too.

Yeah, best not to switch off the filter for too long. I guess just 30 minutes should be enough to test.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hahaha, I see. I tested leaving the filter off for around 30 mins yesterday. No change in temperature sadly
    Maybe I'll try removing one of the filter pads in my filter. I added 2 thin layers of fine sponge myself after removing the activated carbon pad that came with it.

Random: I just found a dead white worm that looked like a caterpillar in my tank and some sort of flying "ant" insect hanging out near my light hood.
    Maybe the temp got so high it boiled the worm -___-

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Managed to get a fan which drops my tank temperature from 31-32 to 28 degrees.
    Also started to notice some transparent "cobweb" like threads around my glosso.
    I tried removing it with pincers but couldn't really get most of it out. Now the most seriously affected bunch of glosso has become dull
    and it seems to have spread to my brazilian pennywort as well :/ and that plant doesn't look very healthy now.

Front view.

I googled for answers and think it might be a type of thread algae but not much information is available on how to remove it other than manually.
    Wondering if I should remove the whole clump of glosso - not sure if it is dying or can make a comeback.. & perhaps the brazilian pennywort as well if it spreads to the entire leaf?
    Anyone has any experience with these kind of algae and how to remove it?
    I have done a major waterchange & reduced my photoperiod further from 6 hours - 4 hours.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

the cobwebs is sort of fungus/algae which is very very common in new setups. My way of countering them is by using Malayan shrimp commandos.... these hungry fellows are very hardy and will munch almost all the algae/fungus.

From the pictures, it seems your plants are going through the transition from emerge to submerge growth.. initial melt is normal..

the reason for this is easy, algae= deficiency = plants don't grow well.... this is the never ending cycle, not easy to stimulate mother nature in a small indoor aquarium, but its fun learning...

so after the plants regrow, the cobwebs will slowly reduce by itself..and other algae might take over if there is other deficiency...WAHAHAHHA.... welcome to the algae grower club

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh I see thanks Wongce
    I'll continue monitoring my plants and trying to remove cobwebs manually when I see them haha.
    Question regarding malayan shrimp, I read some posts and understand that they are usually sold in bulk, any idea where I can get them in smaller quantities?
    Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast