Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

custom aquarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello fellow hobbiests. I am in the process of building my own 120-150 gallon aquarium.
    I would like a bowfront tank but an unsure as to how to get my acrylic sheet to get the curve i need. want a 3-4 inch rise front the outside edge to the middle. I am planning on using 1/2 inch cell cast acrylic sheets. if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I am also interested in your own DIY aquariums you may have built.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: custom aquarium

Hi rich, I believe many of us here do not DIY our aquariums as it is relatively to get tanks easily, and pricing here is pretty competitive as well, thus the lack of the need and motivation for DIY.

Acrylic sheets when undergone bending, the area would not be as strong anymore, thus the way of bending is important to the durability of the tank. Besides that, acrylic gets scratches pretty easily and i would stronglty recommend to get a glass aquarium if you still hav enot made one.

thats being said, glass it quite diffcult to get it bent, and acrylic is much easier to work with at home and DIY tools.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

hi rice,

how thick are the acrylic sheet? this will be of importance as you tank will be 180gal. putting alot of pressure on frame.

for bending you can check with the acrylic supplier if they do bending also.
    the acrylic suppliers we get over here offer that service (for a extra fee)

Sent from my GT-N7105
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

A whole aquarium molded with just 1 single piece of acrylic will give you peace of mind. Since you are in the US, check with tank makers if they would take custom orders. It is less risky than DIY-ing on your own, as compared to making your own standard tank without the bowfront. Another thing you need to consider is the change in view with a bowfront tank as compared to a standard tank.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.