Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: dwarf cockscrew (Aponogeton ulvaceous)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

dwarf cockscrew (Aponogeton ulvaceous)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    got a cockscrew plant (A. ulvaceous) from Teo during the new year, in less than a month, it has grown into a monster with 100cm long leaves, 4ft long inflorecense, and covering half my tank surface []

Recently I saw in Gan's tank a small version of this plant, the leaves are much narrower and probably only 1 foot high. However according to Teo they are the same plant, just trim the leaves and it will grow smaller.

Has anyone tried this? Somehow I am not so sure. Everytime I trimmed the leaves the new ones grow longer! Is there a dwarf cockscrew variety?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    which tank u referring to? the tank outdoor or indoor? imo, Gan's Aponogeton isnt that short too

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Simon, it's the top tank after the green neon display. There is a small cockscrew in the right hand front corner. It is already growing well and flowering, and still the leaves are short and much narrower. My cockscrew is the full length version... ... ... ... ...
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/12/2002 11:03:35 AM

Hi Simon, it's the top tank after the green neon display. There is a small cockscrew in the right hand front corner. It is already growing well and flowering, and still the leaves are short and much narrower. My cockscrew is the full length version... ... ... ... ...
    ----------------
    Teo was selling that small cockscrew sometime back... I bought the same version that you have and the smaller type... both of them will grow the same length... diff is how broad the leaves gonna be.. you can view the small type as a mini version of your version...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Gerald, so even the small type is going to reach up to the surface and cover half the tank, maybe less obstruction with the narrower leaves?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/13/2002 2:59:59 AM

Hi Gerald, so even the small type is going to reach up to the surface and cover half the tank, maybe less obstruction with the narrower leaves?
    ----------------
    Yes... the small type is going to reach the surface but I dun know if its going to cover half of the tank... dun know how big is your tank... there is definately less obstruction than the bigger one...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanx Gerald, my water column is 35cm high. Saw at Gan's tank the leaves is around 30cm long.

any idea where to get such a dwarf? the big version is a lighting problem even though it is very beautiful, imparting light green glow to the water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/13/2002 2:48:41 PM

thanx Gerald, my water column is 35cm high. Saw at Gan's tank the leaves is around 30cm long.

any idea where to get such a dwarf? the big version is a lighting problem even though it is very beautiful, imparting light green glow to the water.
    ----------------
    I dunno whether Teo still got anot...If you happen to go there...you might want to ask from him....He imports it from thailand...

I also remember seeing it 2 weeks back @ Ah Pek... I believe its in his 6 ft or old 4 ft tank... got 2 there.... but dunno whether its still there anot...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanx for the info. I already asked at Teo's but the guy said they are the same. Maybe I should ask Teo himself (the small roundface guy right?).

Anyway Ah Pek will be moving to Mermaid soon so I guess he will be cleaning up and packing his stock.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/13/2002 6:18:21 PM

thanx for the info. I already asked at Teo's but the guy said they are the same. Maybe I should ask Teo himself (the small roundface guy right?).

Anyway Ah Pek will be moving to Mermaid soon so I guess he will be cleaning up and packing his stock.
    ----------------
    I saw it today at Ah Pek.... judge for yourself if they are the same...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    From What I know the mentioned plant grows really fast and furious. Even with poor lihting and without co2 injection it can grow very well. If you noticed Rainbow @ Sergn north, the plant condition as mentioned. I did see Ah pek had this plant in his tank. The plant wasn't that monstrous cos the plant was always newly planted. Reason being whenever anybody wanted to buy the plant, he would juz uproot and pass it to the customer. Saw this a few times myself.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well, if I would to replace this with something smaller (30cm high the best) and doesnt spread more than 10cm diameter, what would you suggest?

thanx.