Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Switching off DIY CO2 at night

Feedback Score

Switching off DIY CO2 at night

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Does any of the bros here switch off their CO2 at night when there is not photosynthesis? Was thinking of reducing the CO2 level during the night.

What I'm thinking of doing is to attach an air switch to the bottle. Off it at night and switch on in the morning again. Will this process harm the yeast?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kyne,

If you are using DIY CO2, it is not advisable to stop delivery to the tank at night. It takes a while for pressure to build up before effective delivery can be achieved if you let it bleed out at night. DIY does not provide consistent level of output over time, hence it is a better idea to keep it running into your tank.

If you are really concern about CO2 poisoning, I doubt that can happen, you can alternatively use an air pump with a timer to activate aeration during lights off.

The best solution would be a pressurised CO2 cylinder with a solenoid activated valve controlled by a timer. However, that will require you to expend some money. But it is something you should seriously consider.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Switching off DIY CO2 at night

[quote:db7851262a="kyne"]Does any of the bros here switch off their CO2 at night when there is not photosynthesis? Was thinking of reducing the CO2 level during the night.

What I'm thinking of doing is to attach an air switch to the bottle. Off it at night and switch on in the morning again. Will this process harm the yeast?[/quote:db7851262a]

geoffrey is right on.
    just to add. not feasible to attach air switch. imagine the pressure gets built up to the extend that your bottle burst. doubt it'll happen at night when the temp is lower (co2 production reduced at lower temp). but what if one fine day you forget to on the switch the next morning......
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    I'm using the Nutrafin bottle which I dont think would burst. Leakages somewhere is possible. What i'm more concern about is whether the yeast would be killed if i off the outlet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    if there's a leakage, it will be the same as not turning off the supply right?
    anyway, DIY Co2 production is not enough to cause co2 posioning.
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey guys.....

Saw this article from another forum.... toking bout a DIY controller for DIY CO2... it's quite a long article and may be quite difficult to understand for those not that technically inclined.... but for those interested, can be quite interesting.....

Here's the link

http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.c...085#7426001085

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kyne,

No, the yeast will be fine. The things that will hurt them are high temperature and high concentration of alcohol. However, my response does not amount to an encouragement for what you intend to do.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:2040a1f267="mordrake"]if there's a leakage, it will be the same as not turning off the supply right?
    anyway, DIY Co2 production is not enough to cause co2 posioning.[/quote:2040a1f267]

It might be possible. In my first planted attempt, my tank was sparsely planted with rather high bioload. With an overly efficient DIY CO2 reactor and only DIY CO2, the fishes were up gasping for air the next morning. Luckily no casualties.

Subsequently, my tanks are more balanced with more plants and less bioload. Even with DIY CO2 running 24/7, everything still OK.

Now I am using CO2 tanks but set a low bubble rate (like DIY CO2) for 24/7. But regularly check that the bubble rate does not run too fast.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all your answers and suggestions... Think i'll just let them bubble.