Images
    Country
    Singapore

Java Fern 'disease'

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Some weeks back my batch of java fern 'philippines' contracted something I now conveniently term as 'Java Fern Disease'.

It started with rather innocent-looking round, brown dots on the leave but unlike spores that only appear on the underside, the brown-dots penetrate the leave.

The brown-dots rapidly becomes bigger and spread quickly to the adjacent leaves/plant (ferns). At the end of it all (within a week or so), the entire plant melts away.

This disease can spread; it spreaded from one end of my 4ft tank to the next end.

It does not only affect 'philippines' sp but also sp of 'narrow leave', 'red', 'tropica'.

The only way out, as I learnt the hard way, is to totally cut away the affected plant instead of cutting away the affected leave.

(I wish I have a picture to show you how the diseased leave looks like).

This disease can also spread from tank to tank. Someone received some seemingly healthy 'philippines' from me ended up having his bolbitis destroyed.

(Any other brave taker for my remaining disease 'Philippines'?
    The plant has extinct in my tank BTW)

And there is at least another forumer who had also experienced this disease in his tank.

What causes this disease?
    And any better method of fixing the problem?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I experienced a similar case but that was after I did a 100% water change ( I didn't use a water conditioner that time). I starts to use water conditioner since then.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Recently I noticed that the leaves of my Java ferns have turned brownish. Could the brownish color seems to have spread from isolated leaves to the entire plants.

Is this a sign of the disease?

What causes this? Is there any cure or prevention for this?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    not too sure about your case, for me my java fern too have some leaves that are totally brown.. as in dead liao.. its due to the lack of light as my java fern grows so pact and block the light to the bottom leaves..
    Cheers,
    Fazdli
    (St George''s Rd)

Feedback Score
    Last month my java fern 'Philippines' also suffered some disease too. It started with a small dark brown dot and spread quickly throughout the whole leaf even spread to other leaves within a week.

Cut away the infected leaves and carried out 50% water change for last 2 weeks. Now the situation looks like under control.

Just keep my fingers crossed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Found an interesting article on the web.

"After adding the salt, the Java Fern has continued to do well sprouting new leaves as well as small offspring on the leaves. I have needed to reduce the salinity though as at one point it was up to 1.010 and the Fern started to turn brown and growth stopped. My target salinity is now 1.005."

I wonder if this has got to do with the salinity of the water?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:05221e02bf="Thor"]Found an interesting article on the web.

"After adding the salt, the Java Fern has continued to do well sprouting new leaves as well as small offspring on the leaves. I have needed to reduce the salinity though as at one point it was up to 1.010 and the Fern started to turn brown and growth stopped. My target salinity is now 1.005."

I wonder if this has got to do with the salinity of the water?[/quote:05221e02bf]

Interesting find! I read somewhere that the philippines sp. grows near rivermouth where the water is slightly brackish and they grows emerge as well, could that be the reason for this new growth? Don't know about the normal and narrow leaf sp though...

BTW, Nicky, if they are still available, I would like to try my hand on the philippines sp.,.. perhaps trimming them botak might help the plant to recover I put them in a separate tank though...kekeke...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:84e21782c9="Thor"]Found an interesting article on the web.

I wonder if this has got to do with the salinity of the water?[/quote:84e21782c9]

This probably helps explain my encounter.. I was facing some white-spot problem in my tank and I have added salt (1 teaspoon to 5G).

FeiMiao,
    I no longer have the philippines sp.