3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sakura Breeding Tank's Filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, recently I just started a new small tank (L22cm x W13cm x H17cm) meant for housing my berried Sakuras and its shrimplets. Here is a photo of the tank:

I intend to add in Riccia on mesh as well as Java Moss from my another tank over to this tank. This tank is still in the midst of cycling but I've used my old filter media from my 1.5ft cycled tank as well as its water. The reading of the tank is as follows:

PH: 6.6
    Nitrate: 80
    Nitrite: 0
    Ammonia: 0

To counter the high nitrate level during this period, I do daily 10% water change.

As you can see from the photo above, I am using a small brandless HOF (to house my used filter media from my another tank). I also using a small sponge filter as can be seen below:

I will like to ask all the experts. If the purpose of this tank is to house berried Sakuras and their shrimplets, what kind of filter should I use?
    Sponge Filter or HOF?
    If Sponge Filter, any good brands or models to recommend?
    Please advise. Thank you.
    Last edited by lionelckg; 18th Mar 2013 at 07:34.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Re: Sakura Breeding Tank's Filter

My suggestion is to use canister and add sponge filter. how many sakuras are you planning to put into that tank?
    I use tetra brand for sponge filter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For such a small tank, i think canister filter is overkill? But please correct me if I'm wrong.

You mentioned using a canister filter together with a sponge filter. Is a sponge filter alone not enough to sustain the tank?

If that's the case, what does a sponge filter in a tank do besides pumping air in? I had initially thought that a sponge filter is enough to sustain a small tank like mine.

Tetra brand, thanks! Will go and check it out!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Filtration depends pretty much on bioload. Since sakura shrimps tend to breed rapidly when conditions are right, bioload may be high.
    A sponge filter may be ok for now but will be overwhelmed eventually. For such a small tank, most larger HOF will not be able to fit so your best bet is to do what you are doing now; small HOF plus sponge air filter.

In the long run though, consider using a bigger tank if you are planning to breed. Oh, and those fishes needs to go after you're done cycling or they'll eat all your shrimplets.
    Consider doing the fishless cycling method as well, as cycling is very stressful for the fishes too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by lionelckg View Post
    For such a small tank, i think canister filter is overkill? But please correct me if I'm wrong.

You mentioned using a canister filter together with a sponge filter. Is a sponge filter alone not enough to sustain the tank?

If that's the case, what does a sponge filter in a tank do besides pumping air in? I had initially thought that a sponge filter is enough to sustain a small tank like mine.

Tetra brand, thanks! Will go and check it out!
    There is a canister quite small for 20cm and up (if I am not mistaken one of the brand name is otista, correct me if i am wrong)

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Is the pineapple under the sea an aquarium product? If not it might cause problems.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes it is. And it has been used and put in my past 2 tanks without any problems. Though it looks out of place now, i just putting it in this tank for the transfer of any BB that may reside on the pineapple into the new tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

where did you get that spongebob's house from?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i'm using sponge filter for my 1 feet tank for keeping sakura shrimps. so far so good. the shrimps are reproducing...
    the downside is that sponge filter may not look nice inside tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yiongcs, i got my pineapple from QianHu.

Shingen, can ask you what brand of sponge filter you use?

I quite inclined now to use Gex Slim S so that can also put my Seachem Matrix in as well...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Actually i think a HOF is fine. It is either you increase the capacity of the filter or invest in the filter media. For a small tank real-estate is important hahaha a sponge may spoil the visual appeal of the tank.

From the photo it looks like there is only wool in your HOF. You can consider putting some premium media like biohome+ or Mr Aqua CC. Also do maintain good water change discipline (weekly 25%-50% change with appropriate anti-chlorine dosing and preferably some aging of the water) and I am sure you should have no problems.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes. Currently the filter is small. Therefore, only put a matured sponge into this HOF.
    I do agree that the real-estate is important. Haha.
    I am currently thinking of just changing the tank to a 1ft tank but I'll see how it goes.

I will be putting SeaChem Matrix into my HOF once i get the Gex Slim S.

Just a question:
    Sponge Filter VS HOF - Any benefits or capabilities of using one over another? Besides the ability of putting media filter into a HOF...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up Re: Sakura Breeding Tank's Filter

Quote Originally Posted by lionelckg View Post
    Just a question:
    Sponge Filter VS HOF - Any benefits or capabilities of using one over another? Besides the ability of putting media filter into a HOF...
    Sponge filters are usually cheaper and simpler, and are by default safe for shrimplets. You can also link up a series of sponge filters to one powerful air pump and it allows for multiple tanks to get filtration from one central device.

I guess they are more widely used amongst breeders with multiple tanks on rack setups.

Btw, you can actually get "sponge filter" style air powered filters that can hold various media too, like the Gex Roka Boy filters... TAG did a detailed review on them: http://theaquaticgazette.com/2011/06/24/gex-roka-boy-comparison
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 19th Mar 2013 at 01:56.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think the choice of filter boils down to personal choice, every filter has it's pros and cons.

I've seen very successful shrimp setup using only a hamburg matten filter setup. If done well it can look like just the background of your tank and will not ruin the visuals. Shrimps love to climb up and down the sponge anyway so it would also be entertaining.

You can refer to this link for more info on the hamburg matten filter:-

http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/

I've considered setting it up for a 4x2x2 tank hahahaha!

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Drill a hole at the top of the pineapple and hide the filter inside?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
    Drill a hole at the top of the pineapple and hide the filter inside?
    Hey good idea! i did not think of that!

But anyway i intend to take out the pineapple once the tank is fully cycled.

Maybe can use that for my next tank...put full of toys...lol!