Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

An idea:Feasible?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Many would have experience fish sufferring from lack of O2 in a planted tank,especially a planted tank, so is this feasible?
    can we use a co2 diffuser to pump in more oxygen from an air pump and use a diffuser to prevent loss of CO2 which occurs when air is pump in directly???there will still be co2 in the water right, will not be loss to the surroundings right? cause my tank,as can be seen by the cories, have low concentration of o2 even though i have long Photo period for my plants

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    not impossible to have a O2 tank for that.

But wouldnt it be like having a bomb at home?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Get more surface movement going then....you are going to burn off more CO2 in the process but if you are doing tank CO2, there is no issue except maybe cost of topping up more often. Its a win win situation both for plants and critters.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: An idea:Feasible?

[quote:a4b912f586="fighteryeo"]Many would have experience fish sufferring from lack of O2 in a planted tank,especially a planted tank, so is this feasible?[/quote:a4b912f586]
    One should not experience O2 deficiency in a planted tank. From all the photosynthesis of the plants, the tank would be oversatutated with O2. If you are really having O2 deficiency problem (rarely happens), you might be having:
    1. too many fishes (I mean A LOT!)
    2. poorly growing plants (or plastic plants :P )
    3. too much decomposing matter (decomposition consumes O2).

[quote:a4b912f586="fighteryeo"]
    can we use a co2 diffuser to pump in more oxygen from an air pump and use a diffuser to prevent loss of CO2 which occurs when air is pump in directly???
    [/quote:a4b912f586]
    Most of the O2 goes into (or out of) the water from the agitation caused by the air pump. Using a diffuser or a normal airstone will not make much of a difference. Most of the gas exchange takes place at the water surface rather than at the bubbles. (A ceramic diffuser may even be worse of because it does not create much surface agitation.)
    As the air bubble rises, a few things happen. N2 and O2 equilibrate between the bubble and water. If water is already rich with O2 from the photosynthesis, O2 will diffuse from the water into the bubbles. CO2 will diffuse from the water(CO2 rich) into the bubbles(CO2 poor).
    [quote:a4b912f586="fighteryeo"]...
    there will still be co2 in the water right, will not be loss to the surroundings right? cause my tank,as can be seen by the cories, have low concentration of o2 even though i have long Photo period for my plants[/quote:a4b912f586]
    Corydorus frequently comes to the surface to gulp for air. This is natural and does not means that the water is lacking of O2.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:aa64baae7b="fighteryeo"]Many would have experience fish sufferring from lack of O2 in a planted tank,especially a planted tank, so is this feasible?
    can we use a co2 diffuser to pump in more oxygen from an air pump and use a diffuser to prevent loss of CO2 which occurs when air is pump in directly???there will still be co2 in the water right, will not be loss to the surroundings right? cause my tank,as can be seen by the cories, have low concentration of o2 even though i have long Photo period for my plants[/quote:aa64baae7b]

Any if using those ceramic CO2 diffusers, I doubt the air pump has strength to blow through it.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thank you very much for your tips, now planted tank not much plants, and using DIY, so O2 levels low, i onli can add ore plants after my Mid-Year exams, so looking for a solution. as my cories always go up to take air, and is not 1 or 2,but 1 shot 5-6 of them must take air

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:6985872668="fighteryeo"]thank you very much for your tips, now planted tank not much plants, and using DIY, so O2 levels low, i onli can add ore plants after my Mid-Year exams, so looking for a solution. as my cories always go up to take air, and is not 1 or 2,but 1 shot 5-6 of them must take air[/quote:6985872668]

This is normal... as long as they are not continually struggling at the water surface. Nothing to do with O2.

BC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:d7183adba2="fighteryeo"]Many would have experience fish sufferring from lack of O2 in a planted tank,especially a planted tank, so is this feasible?
    can we use a co2 diffuser to pump in more oxygen from an air pump and use a diffuser to prevent loss of CO2 which occurs when air is pump in directly???there will still be co2 in the water right, will not be loss to the surroundings right? cause my tank,as can be seen by the cories, have low concentration of o2 even though i have long Photo period for my plants[/quote:d7183adba2]

Hi Pal..

I am sure you don't want to do that. Firstly, extra O2 seems to attract algae in my case. Secondly, like Lorba mentioned, a O2 cylinder is like a bomb.

BTW, never experience fishes have oxygen starvation. Long light period does not equate optimal oxygen reproduction in the tank. Think again.

Regards,
    Wynx
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの