Images
    Country
    Singapore

Enquiries on Planted Aquarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    As most of you have known that i have set up tank last sat. this is wat i have discovered last night: glossostigma seems like growing, shoots coming out with new young leaves. hair grass growing abit longer. strange that it's so fast. Something sad: saw some small snails just now and some hair-line algae on riccia.
    so here's my enquiries:

1) the small snails, how to get rid of them? is it the
    small yellow dotted puffer fish? is one enough? can i
    put guppies with them? when should i put in the puffer?
    2) will yamatoes or malayan shrimp eat up all my plants?
    when should i introduce them into my tank? my tank is
    1.5 ft, 10 gallons (a humble tank). how many should i
    put into it?
    3) my lighting is not strong to make my riccia bubbles.from
    my previous enquiry about lighting, i wonder if i get
    another set of similar light as current one (9W BOYU
    1.5ft light). and then change the light tubes in both to
    11W each, it'll give a total of 22W. will my riccia be
    able to bubble? or does it require only 1 set of light
    with a wattage of about 20-30W (base on guide of 2-3W
    per gallon).
    4) how long will it take my glossostigma to grow till it
    covers the area i want it to cover?
    5) how tall will hairgrass grow up to?

Hope someone can answer my questions, thank you

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Has anyone tried putting 2 sets of lights to get the required wattage to have their riccia bubbling? please advise.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ray,
    I do observe that newly planted plants show fast grow initially. Arr...I guess it is due to the new environment (better) compare to where it has been (laying there for you to buy). But it is also important that you see that it gives steady growth. As for the Riccia bubbling, light is not the only factor to consider. Firstly is to understand its realationship of why it bubbles, because it is releasing its O2 and for them to do so is taking in CO2. Just like us we breath O2 and as a by product release the exhausted gas as CO2. Light helps them to photosynthesis and in that process they need to 'breathe' and also take in nutrients. Bubbles as in O2 is a by product of this process. So....you know what to do now.
    Snails: I have a tiny small spotted puffer to do this job in my 2ft tank. Within 3 days of introducing this fellow, my snail infestation does goes away. Now have to watch that they dun chase fish tails and create bullet holes on leafy plants.
    Algae: Hair line, arr....check stuff like lighting vs CO2 vs nutrients dosage plus water properties and also filter condition. All these plays apart. It is a Eco balance. Like some place I read this " there is a fine line between a tank with no visible algae and one with visible one..." Algae do exist in every tank. Given the right condition, they will surface and take over. So keeping them under control is important. See it this way, algae is also plant life and is the most basic one. So while we try to keep our higher order species fluorishing we must becareful on not over feeding them. Left overs usually breeds algae.
    My 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ray,

Lights: go for at least 30W, do it properly once, otherwise very frustrating to add and add and not get the results you want, end up spending more money instead. Oh, don't forget the CO2.

Snails: snails isn't a real problem, don't go overboard with a puffer (unless you like it), simply use your finger for the moment. Some snails are even beneficial!

Algae: started your tank last night and already got algae, on 9W of lights! Strange. In any case you should arm yourself with the standard algae army: oto and yamato (I think the malayan shrimp is more debris cleaning than algae eating, but getting rid of debris and uneaten food helps to prevent algae too).

Glosso: with enough lights it should cover your parade square (did you ke kanan lurus them properly or not, make sure not too many blank files leh) in a couple of weeks. Anyway with enough lights and CO2 your glosso will also bubble, but not as spectacularly as riccia.

hope this helps, relax and enjoy your plants.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi Simon, can you help me by answering these questions?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1) the small snails, how to get rid of them? is it the
    small yellow dotted puffer fish? is one enough? can i
    put guppies with them? when should i put in the puffer?
    like what choy suggested, remove them manually is the best method, especially when u have fishes with attractive tail like guppies.. another rule is unless u have a 3ft tank and above (give space for yr fishes to escape the tail bitting habits of a puffer)

2) will yamatoes or malayan shrimp eat up all my plants?
    when should i introduce them into my tank? my tank is
    1.5 ft, 10 gallons (a humble tank). how many should i
    put into it?
    very unlike, but there are some guys who commented that their shrimps ate the plants when the tank is free of algae.. my suggestion is add a few in and test the water first b4 planning for more.. malayan shrimps r hardy, but they may not work as hard as the yamato, on the other hand, yamato are sensitive to water condition (temp, nitrate)

3) my lighting is not strong to make my riccia bubbles.from
    my previous enquiry about lighting, i wonder if i get
    another set of similar light as current one (9W BOYU
    1.5ft light). and then change the light tubes in both to
    11W each, it'll give a total of 22W. will my riccia be
    able to bubble? or does it require only 1 set of light
    with a wattage of about 20-30W (base on guide of 2-3W
    per gallon).
    as long as u meet the guide of 3w+ per gal, i guess it's fine..

4) how long will it take my glossostigma to grow till it
    covers the area i want it to cover?
    dependent on the condition of the tank, glosso is a mid growing plant.. they can cover the whole foregrd within a couple of months if the condition is rite

5) how tall will hairgrass grow up to?
    which species of Eleocharis do u have? Eleocharis acicularis - 15 to 25cm, Eleocharis parvulus - 10 to 15cm & Eleocharis vivipara - 40cm

hope these help