Country
    Singapore

Unique fish suggestions for Fish Pond

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all!

I have a freshwater fishpond at home and it is currently home to a large common Pleco & a Red Devil. We want to re-stock the pond with other fishes and would like something more unique other than your common koi and goldfish.
    We will be removing the Red Devil soon, so the pond will be virtually empty.

Here is a pic of the pond

[IMG][/IMG]

The pond is an irregular shape but just for a rough size of its dimensions, the longest length across the pond is about 180cm and its depth is about 55cm

The pond has an external filter box that can hold about 150 litres

So any suggestions for stocking the pond?

Thanks!
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha this seems so cool. I was just thinking if I had a pond what would I put in it. I ended up with angelfish and hoping they would breed. Now for me to grow up and get a pond. LOL
    Just a little suggestion

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Unique fish suggestions for Fish Pond

Haha, here's a random idea. How about a biotope set-up? You can try something more general like south american biotope, south east asian forest stream biotope etc, or you could even zoom in to specific regions or rivers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@jemswira actually the pond doesnt belong to me either, its my parent's. Im still schooling as well . Angels are a really nice idea! Can imagine a school of angels or even discus, really appealing! Will keep that in mind.

@lucasjiang I like that idea. Especially the SE Asia Biotope. Will read up on that. On that though I can imagine 1-2 large pieces of driftwood with some anubias or java fern on it.

I just made a trip to Seaview to see see look look. Considered some options. Thought a school or silver sharks w/ blood parrots would be cool. Or even some archer fish but I read that they prefer brackish water. Anyone had experience keeping them in freshwater? Or even in a pond for that matter?
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Silver sharks would be nice, minus the blood parrots. Or just a big group of bettas. I'd keep guppies in this kind of setup though. They love it like this.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm assuming that the bottom of the pond is concrete? That might limit your choices of plants unless you fill the bottom with soil or use pots. Otherwise the driftwood over the sides could be used to simulate roots over a river bank, perfect for a SE Asian stream biotope or Amazonian one. With a little diying you could even get some flow to simulate a river! Some floating plants etc, maybe a few plants that grow out of the water, sounds like a lot of fun!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The pond is concrete. Im not intending to add soil. It is too much work considering the fact that the pond is already pretty established. Plus, the filter intake is on the pond bottom, do soil is a definate no no. I will probably go with some anubias, moss or java fern tied onto rocks or driftwood.

I'm really onto the idea of having a few archer fish. Any thoughts?

The pond surface has alot of aeration from the pump already, in fact im considering redirecting the flow do that it'll be easier to see the fish
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I would say get larger plants. Maybe have some pots with soil? Especially with archerfish I think they like plants that have leaves over the surface of the water but not ON the surface. Also with java moss, fern etc, you wouldn't see them properly. Maybe tied to the dw on the edges, or coming out of the pond.

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you want archers, you can try freshwater clouded archerfish, toxotes blythii. Those wont need brackish setups. With the size of your pond, you can put a whole school of them inside.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

actually can try lotus or lily , it already comes in pots with soil , just put in ,use bricks to stack it up

fish wise , chose types that looks nice when view from top
    Last edited by limz_777; 25th Mar 2013 at 23:39.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...thii-Questions

They sound really expensive :X Dont have such a deep pocket. Besides, where can we find them in SG?

Would other more commonly found strains of archer fish be able to adapt to freshwater?
    http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...sh-fresh-water

The comments given give very different answers.

@limz_777 Honestly, the best looking fish from above would be your average koi and goldfish, but i really would like something more unique.

@Stormhawk I think the school of Bettas is a really cool idea, but i would need to have a bunch from the same brood wouldn't i? When i used to breed bettas, I used to have a school of them in a large flower pot in the garden. But i think they're a little small for the pond

How do you guys think angelfish, silver sharks & archer fish might look like from above?
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

A big group of Bettas raised together would be nice, or you can try other fish like larger barbs or tetras. I'd suggest Tiger Barbs though. They're cheap and easily available. Should be less of a hassle compared to other species and the stripes would make them look real nice when viewed from above.

Archers should not be kept in such a pond unless you can mimic their estuarine habitat, along with a tidal system. Angelfish, since they're pretty flat, won't make much of an impact when viewed from above. The Silver Sharks or Balantiocheilos melanopterus should look pretty nice in sunlight. You might want to consider Tinfoil Barbs too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mmmmm Okay. I guess archer fish is not part of the options.
    So far these are the potential options.
    1) A school of Angelfish with Rainbowfish or Tiger Barbs
    2) 2 Arowanas with a school of Silver Sharks or Tinfoil Barbs
    3) A bunch of golden koi (saw a bunch of them at aquastar today, my dad thought it would be a cool idea)
    4) 2 Giant Gouramis with a school of Silver Sharks/Tinfoil Barbs
    5) Pacus? Albino Pacus?

What do you guys think about it?
    With the fishes, i'll probably try to get my hands on some large rocks and driftwood. Will get some of the driftwood to stick out of the water surface and will tie anubias and java ferns.
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'd just go straight with barbs alone though. See this site for some pics of fish photographed in the wild in Singapore and other locations in SEA. Given the angle of the shots, they're taken somewhat from above. So you can judge for yourself the look based on those pics.

http://ecologyasia.com/verts/fishes.htm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

giant gourami and pacus can grow quite big , actually i find gourami looks quite nice in a pond but your intention to put plants , they might eat it
    Last edited by limz_777; 27th Mar 2013 at 08:47.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

arowana are good jumper. you may need to build some fencing. also the success of keeping 2 are very low, you need to keep 3 or more but no guarantee of success.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update,
    The plan is to have a school of angelfish as the main focus of the pond with other accompanying fish. SAEs, corydoras, dwarf gourami's, kutubu rainbowfish and tinfoil barbs. I will have some large dirftwood and rocks at one corner of the pond to make it look like a mangrove of sorts.

So far i've added in 3 tin foil barbs and 3 albino tin foil barbs, 2 feeder goldfish as well as 10 SAE. The Red Devil was removed and the large common sucker is still there. Everything has been fine for the last 2 weeks without any fatalities until 2 days ago when i added in 15 kutubu rainbowfish. This morning i found 10 of them dead, 5 of which were injured (fins torn up and scales removed at some spots), I removed them into another tank for the time being.

Any clue to why the rainbowfish died? I suspect the tinfoil barbs. It's my first time keeping them and what i read online generally said that they were peaceful fish. :X Help!
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The barbs will eat smaller fishes and will attack anything else it deems fit as food. They are peaceful as juveniles though. However, the removal of scales on some of the rainbowfish probably points to the suckerfish being the culprit. I have seen large suckers attach themselves to other fish and rasp off their bodies but only if the fishes are weak in the first place.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This thread is kind of old but I thought it would be nice to share with those who gave their inputs what I finally stocked the pond with.

I put in some angelfish
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413992436.604155.jpg

A nice variety of koi and platinum angelfish
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413992477.327466.jpg

Some of those natural barred angelfish
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413992557.566323.jpg

This feeder goldfish was initially meant for feeding my Arowana. (The Arowana jumped before the goldfish could be fed to it.... So I threw it into my pond)
    There were initially 2 of them, the other goldfish passed away suddenly
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413992748.151397.jpg

SAE that have grown huge. About 9cm
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413992794.675369.jpg

All inhabitants have been in the pond since March 2013. All the fish were bought juvenile and raised in the pond. The koi angelfish in particular were all bought juvenile at 30 cents each. XD

Cheers,
    JJ
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Recently, in the last 2 weeks I added some koi swordtails hoping that they would breed. Also wanted to add more action to the pond surface.

Lovely male with nice long tail
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413993095.250388.jpg

Feeding time!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413993156.532881.jpg

Big happy feeder goldfish
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413993217.342342.jpg

Nice picture of angelfish
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413993600.649222.jpg

Overall picture of inhabitants
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413993284.020557.jpg

Cheers,
    JJ