Country
    Singapore

help with moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I got some java moss from a nice hobbyist about 2 weeks ago. It was nice and green but after placing them in my shrimp tank, parts of them are turning brown. I have another 2 pieces tied to lava rocks in my community tank and they look fine. What is wrong? My shrimp tank has plenty of hydra, about 10 adult shrimps and some shrimplets. I don't have a chiller, its placed in my living room where it does not get direct sunlight. I run a 18w light for 7 hours a day. I don't feed the shrimps as I had a snail infestation which is now under control. I have a large piece of dw in the tank that seems to provide plenty of food for the shrimps. The shrimps are growing well.
    What is missing? Co2 or fertilizers? I don't measure nitrates or whatever as I don't have any measure kits.
    I also have peacock moss tied to the dw which are doing fine. Funny why the java moss turns brown?

The other community tank does not get artificial light, only direct sunlight, no co2. Only difference is that I feed the fish there minimally. Both are 2 feet tanks.

What should I do?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: help with moss

Quote Originally Posted by shikimijos View Post
    Hi,

I got some java moss from a nice hobbyist about 2 weeks ago. It was nice and green but after placing them in my shrimp tank, parts of them are turning brown. I have another 2 pieces tied to lava rocks in my community tank and they look fine. What is wrong? My shrimp tank has plenty of hydra, about 10 adult shrimps and some shrimplets. I don't have a chiller, its placed in my living room where it does not get direct sunlight. I run a 18w light for 7 hours a day. I don't feed the shrimps as I had a snail infestation which is now under control. I have a large piece of dw in the tank that seems to provide plenty of food for the shrimps. The shrimps are growing well.
    What is missing? Co2 or fertilizers? I don't measure nitrates or whatever as I don't have any measure kits.
    I also have peacock moss tied to the dw which are doing fine. Funny why the java moss turns brown?

The other community tank does not get artificial light, only direct sunlight, no co2. Only difference is that I feed the fish there minimally. Both are 2 feet tanks.

What should I do?
    I use inert gravel as my substrate for both of my tanks, for my shrimp tank has more coral chips.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Probably just adapting to your tank setup. Moss may look brown and dead but i can rebounce back. I've been keeping moss under high temps averaging 28-30C. I also cannot afford a chiller and my house is very humid so using a fan is out of the question. Give it some time, provide some water flow to the moss and i should come back.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    Probably just adapting to your tank setup. Moss may look brown and dead but i can rebounce back. I've been keeping moss under high temps averaging 28-30C. I also cannot afford a chiller and my house is very humid so using a fan is out of the question. Give it some time, provide some water flow to the moss and i should come back.
    thanks bro, i hope it would recover. I almost wanted to add in some fertilizers..but fear for my shrimps and hydra outbreak.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by shikimijos View Post
    thanks bro, i hope it would recover. I almost wanted to add in some fertilizers..but fear for my shrimps and hydra outbreak.
    Bro,

it will be good to get rid of the hydra first. I read up online and realise that it is bad for the shrimp as it will sting them making them feeling uncomfortable and less active. read somewhere before that there is a kind of medicine out there in the market that could get rid of hydra. Perhaps you might want to search it online.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

mine just sort of went away on my last setup...dont know why
    -=I work in the dark to serve the light=-

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Planaria & Hydra Elimination in Shrimp Tank

Hoping your Hydra Problem has been resolved. If not, read the link above. Don't know how easily we could get the items though.

Good Luck!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cephelix View Post
    Planaria & Hydra Elimination in Shrimp Tank

Hoping your Hydra Problem has been resolved. If not, read the link above. Don't know how easily we could get the items though.

Good Luck!
    i used no-planaria and it works.. no more hydras waving at me!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

2 birds with one stone!
    NICE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If i'm not wrong its called fenbendezol.