Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimp Breeding

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My cherry shrimp just released about 10 flies and i am lost. May i know what to feed the flies or leave it to their own device? I've got some advice that salt should be added, is that true??

Any expert in breeding can help??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If the shrimp breeds, that means the condition is favourable, including availablity of food source.

Try not to do drastic change to water parameters. What do you have inside the tank?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think you need to feed them anything. I din't and I see many Cherry Shrimp frys in my moss tank. Eventhough I have 5 Cherry Barbs and a Platy in my moss tank, I still see many shrimp frys in the tank. The Cherry Barbs are really fat and healty, most likely the result of live shrimp fry diet

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    lorba, I just bought it on sunday together with nine others and the cherries were quarentined in a tank only with java fern tied to drift wood. I guessed it must be carrying the flies when i bought it.

Think i will just leave it inside till it's bigger.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As long as there are plants inside, the shrimps will be able to find food. Even without, they would be able to live on algaes growing on the tank wall.

With denser vegetation or low visibility (means cloudy water such as green water), I guess the shrimps will feel safer to breed in future. A thick carpet of moss would be a good idea.

I used to feed my 5 tiger shrimps blood worms in a 15 x 8 cm moss tank (2 days once, perhaps 2 worms each shrimp). They get bigger and more vibrant in color in 4 mths and in total, gave me 50-70 shrimps. Be careful when you change water, as the fries usually swims near the surface. I used to have a 2nd bigger tank to collect all these water, dirty and cloudy, but with shrimps growing. They are lesser machines once I stopped feeding.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

where to buy shrimps

Hi,
    I'm new to the rearing of shrimps. I have just setup my 4ft planted tank, it is about 2 weeks old now. The only fish I have are 12 platys. Questions:

1. what is the light green tint that I view from the side of my tank? the green tint is not visible from the front.

2. what kind of shrimps and how many should I put into the tank? where can I and how much does it cost?

3. the plant looks healthy and most of them are oxygenating.

Thank you.

MS

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi ms,

Have a look at this thread...http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpBB...ic.php?t=16385

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Hey guys

not too long along i bought 10 cherry shrimps from NA, plus 2 shrimps comes free, so a total of 12. I did not count them at the shop, but when i reach home i tried to count them before i open the package. There were like approx. 13 or so, varying in medium to small sized ones. But as i looked closely, i discovered that there were many very tiny little "things" swimming & darting around!! About 15-20 tiny creatures (0.2mm??). So i was wondering are those baby shrimps that were given birth by an adult. Does shrimp bear live babies or lay eggs? Since i only have one tank, i hesitated, but eventually emptied eveyrything into the tank. Hence hoping the dense vegetation will provide enough cover and concealment for my little "baby" shrimps. SO far the shrimps are rather shy, i dun see much of them. Could them been eaten by my tetras? or suck into the filter??!!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Under good lights you can easy see the baby shrimps that looks like er.. shrimps in a miniature form. Shrimps carry their eggs under their body but as they are near term, you can actually see the 2 eyes in each of the eggs. I have never managed to catch the moment when the mother throw out the young but I suspect that shrimps are born live rather than eggs.

Do be careful when you are cleaning you filter. When I was keeping tiger shrimps I harvested more than 10 mid-size shrimps from my 2233 filter. Yes they can survive in there.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hello paranoid, cherry shrimp will release flies that is miniature form of it's parents and not larve. My colour shrimp previously give birth to larve which does nothing but floats around.

Due to lack of knowledge of what food to feed they eventually all dies off. So i think different species of shrimps will either give birth to flies or larve.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Thanks for your info! I'll survey my tank closely and try to spot them if they r still around...!