Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a beginner foreground carpet?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Suggestions for a beginner foreground carpet?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am setting another tank up, and i'm looking for a carpet plant that is suitable for beginners.

Here's the stats:
    2'' x 1'' x 1.5'' tank
    24W x 3 PL light (2x 10000k 1x 6500k)
    Substrate: ADA Amazonia II
    Temp (fan): 27 deg - 30 deg [daytime]
    CO2: DIY
    Ferts: EI dosing

Note that this tank still empty except for soil, so I can still do DSM if necessary.

Would really appreciate some suggestions here, as well as where to get them from and how much!

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Suggestions for a beginner foreground carpet?

hi bro. you can try either riccia or moss. their growth are rate fast. suitable for carpet.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by limweihaoken225 View Post
    hi bro. you can try either riccia or moss. their growth are rate fast. suitable for carpet.
    thanks for the input bro.

Moss wise, i only know that java moss is able to use for carpet.

I'm interested in knowing more about Riccia. Does it require CO2 and ferts actually? Or is it only for faster growth?

Does it root into the substrate? I'm really worried about the carpet being uprooted by my livestock (eg. corydora/ram/guppies, nothing big)

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Brazillian Microswords is a hardy foreground plant,see my blog for pictures.

Cory and ram might dig soil... Better stick to normal guppy,neon tetras for planted...or get another tank just to keep them...hehe

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    Brazillian Microswords is a hardy foreground plant,see my blog for pictures.

Cory and ram might dig soil... Better stick to normal guppy,neon tetras for planted...or get another tank just to keep them...hehe
    Noted on the fish choice! Anyway, i like Brazillian Microswords as well, but my concern is its temp requirement.

I have read on some sites that it won't survive past 26 deg C, mind sharing you temperature you have grown it in?

Also read that it grows fast with CO2 but very slowly without. So if i use this plant is it possible to inject CO2 until it forms a full carpet, then stop injecting so i don't have to keep trimming?

There's also some conflicting information on the height this plant can achieve... I hope its not too tall.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ken90ken View Post
    I'm interested in knowing more about Riccia. Does it require CO2 and ferts actually? Or is it only for faster growth?

Does it root into the substrate? I'm really worried about the carpet being uprooted by my livestock (eg. corydora/ram/guppies, nothing big)
    Riccia doesn't root into anything, you have to tie it to wood, rocks or steel mesh. It doesn't necessarily need additional Co2 or ferts to grow though (but those 2 factors will help accelerate growth).

You'll have to trim it regularly so that the bottom layers still get enough light or else it'll rot and the top layers will detach and float to the surface.

What most people do is tie the riccia onto flat stones, then stack them around on the substrate. When they grow out it'll look like a carpet... and you can still move them around, so they can be considered as a sort of "mobile carpet".
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Noted on the fish choice! Anyway, i like Brazillian Microswords as well, but my concern is its temp requirement.

I have read on some sites that it won't survive past 26 deg C, mind sharing you temperature you have grown it in?

Also read that it grows fast with CO2 but very slowly without. So if i use this plant is it possible to inject CO2 until it forms a full carpet, then stop injecting so i don't have to keep trimming?

There's also some conflicting information on the height this plant can achieve... I hope its not too tall.
    Don't worry,i even have some in my pots at my corridor under normal sunlight 30dc to 32dc...lol

This plant is slooooow when growing submerged,not sure where you get the info it grows fast with co2,i got friends trying it out and complaining it's slowness...lol. Growth is A bit faster with co2. I keep them in both of my tanks...can be kept without co2 but expect less or sloooow growth... Co2 is an investment, diy co2 cost less than few dollars, co2 setup might be expensive initially but generally worry free,well the choice is yours...for this plant,you can inject co2 and stop after getting a lawn. However, during that period, the whole tank's growth will be slowed and algae might take this chance to attack...

Height is generally less than 2 inch... If you get the correct plant...lol, see my signature picture...do they look tall to you?

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Riccia doesn't root into anything, you have to tie it to wood, rocks or steel mesh. It doesn't necessarily need additional Co2 or ferts to grow though (but those 2 factors will help accelerate growth).

You'll have to trim it regularly so that the bottom layers still get enough light or else it'll rot and the top layers will detach and float to the surface.

What most people do is tie the riccia onto flat stones, then stack them around on the substrate. When they grow out it'll look like a carpet... and you can still move them around, so they can be considered as a sort of "mobile carpet".
    Thanks for the clarification bro. I did see a nice Riccia carpet today when i was touring around LFSs. Looked good but i'm not keen on the constant tying and trimming.

Whats more since this is for my carpet i suppose i have to invest on rocks/slates/pebbles or mesh just to tie them now.. Like that i sure exceed budget already! Haha!

Most importantly for what i'm looking for is to have a carpet that will grow slowly without CO2 injection, and is able to send out runners and spread on their own i guess. I don't mind trimming but i think every 3 weeks once is the furthest i will go.

Most likely will put Riccia if Brazillian Microswords as suggested by wongce doesn't work to my liking.

Still open to other options though.

(Another open question for a separate matter: Flame moss do grow emersed right? Will they spread better emersed?)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Don't worry,i even have some in my pots at my corridor under normal sunlight 30dc to 32dc...lol

This plant is slooooow when growing submerged,not sure where you get the info it grows fast with co2,i got friends trying it out and complaining it's slowness...lol. Growth is A bit faster with co2. I keep them in both of my tanks...can be kept without co2 but expect less or sloooow growth... Co2 is an investment, diy co2 cost less than few dollars, co2 setup might be expensive initially but generally worry free,well the choice is yours...for this plant,you can inject co2 and stop after getting a lawn. However, during that period, the whole tank's growth will be slowed and algae might take this chance to attack...

Height is generally less than 2 inch... If you get the correct plant...lol, see my signature picture...do they look tall to you?
    Height looks fine!! That's great!

Would you happen to know anywhere i can buy this plant? (and how much?)

Let's say i want to carpet my entire 2ft tank with this using DSM, how many pots would you recommend i buy if say i'm looking to carpet in 10 weeks?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I hardly got a chance to trim my Microswords...lol...almost never trim eventhough i am injecting co2. Generally foreground plants is not for non co2 tank or the plants might not cover the foreground nicely and tightly.

If you seek less maintenance...try moss as foreground may be suit your requirement better

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

try e.tenellus as a carpet? its a bit taller than others but its quick to grow and sends out lots of runners. dont need very high light or co2 either

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by alph View Post
    try e.tenellus as a carpet? its a bit taller than others but its quick to grow and sends out lots of runners. dont need very high light or co2 either
    Where can i find it? Can it tolerate 30 deg temp?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I hardly got a chance to trim my Microswords...lol...almost never trim eventhough i am injecting co2. Generally foreground plants is not for non co2 tank or the plants might not cover the foreground nicely and tightly.

If you seek less maintenance...try moss as foreground may be suit your requirement better
    Yeah, understood that moss will be easier but i don't quite like the look. Sorry! Haha!

Personally if it's really necessary for the foreground to look real tight and nice i don't mind injecting CO2 at all!

I was trying to ask if it is possible to remove CO2 and dose excel once the foreground is established?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, understood that moss will be easier but i don't quite like the look. Sorry! Haha!

Personally if it's really necessary for the foreground to look real tight and nice i don't mind injecting CO2 at all!

I was trying to ask if it is possible to remove CO2 and dose excel once the foreground is established?
    See post #7

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

See post #7
    Ah.. my bad missed it out.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ah.. my bad missed it out.
    no issue... just lazy to retype...lol no offense ah... eh, moss foreground also quite nice de... shorter than MS...

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

you can get e.tenellus at polyart, i bought all mine from there. its in the other plant tank with the more expensive plants. mine are at 29-31deg so far ok

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

frequently see tenellus at Seaview as well. just to have them in my nano shrimp tank. Very pretty I must say..just relatively too tall that i cant see my shrimp...
    -=I work in the dark to serve the light=-

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i just throw away 1 small container of e.tenellus, i didnt know you are looking for it...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all the replies!

For the e.tenellus do they grow taller than microswords...? I think polyart would be the closest for me as i live at CCK area.

How do i identify the difference between these 2 plants?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast