Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

DSM inquiry. Glasso and HC

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    is it possible to grow these 2 using DSM in the same tank?

Also would it be possible to use sunlight for the DSM or will it be too hot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: DSM inquiry. Glasso and HC

Yes, you can grow them under direct sunlight when doing DSM (heat isn't an issue, they can grow under surprisingly hot weather)... its basically growing them like potted plants, i'm currently doing that too.

There are actually guys here who farm them at their corridor and balconies in large planter boxes.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yes, you can grow them under direct sunlight when doing DSM... its basically like growing them as potted plants, i'm currently doing that too.
    no need to put in shade or anything? I'm afraid if i put it in direct sunlight it'll dry up and die or flood when it rains.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ivantan View Post
    no need to put in shade or anything? I'm afraid if i put it in direct sunlight it'll dry up and die or flood when it rains.
    To ensure it doesn't get flooded during rain, if you are placing it outdoors, just cover the tank or container with a clear piece of plastic or glass.

Ensure that there is still some ventilation in the tank though, or else it'll end up with super heated greenhouse effect and then the plants may really get cooked, like a parked car with sealed windows under the hot sun.

You'll also need to mist them daily to ensure that the soil is slightly moist. As long as the bottom 2/3 layer of soil has water is good enough, its okay if the top layer drys out abit in between mistings, the HC and glosso get their water via their roots under the soil. Keeping the top layer dry also helps to prevent mold and fungus forming. Its similar to caring for a house plant.

For my case, i currently just put the tank with HC DSM indoors next to a window facing the sun... so it wouldn't get flooded by rain.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    To ensure it doesn't get flooded during rain, if you are placing it outdoors, just cover the tank or container with a clear piece of plastic or glass.

Ensure that there is still some ventilation in the tank, or else it'll end up with super heated greenhouse effect and the plants may get cooked, like a parked car with sealed windows under the hot sun.

You'll also need to mist them daily to ensure that the soil is slightly moist. As long as the bottom 2/3 layer of soil has water is good enough, its okay if the top layer drys out abit in between mistings, the HC gets their water via their roots under the soil. Keeping the top layer dry also helps to prevent mold and fungus forming. Its similar to caring for a house plant.

For my case, i currently just put the tank with HC DSM indoors next to a window facing the sun... so it wouldn't get flooded by rain.
    awesome thanks for your input. Respect the tanks you have done, looks awesome.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ivantan View Post
    awesome thanks for your input. Respect the tanks you have done, looks awesome.
    Thanks... i'm also experimenting and learning along the way too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com