Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plants that fail you.....and why?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Plants that fail you.....and why?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone....

I started this thread as I felt it could be an informative one. Hopefully, fellow forummers here could response.

Basically, what I wish to know is:

1. What is the type/name of plant(s) that you previously or currently FAIL to grow in your planted tank?

2. What's the cause of the failure?

Perhaps, I can start the ball rolling.....eg:

1. Glosso didn't do well in my tank previously.

2. Reason: Poor lightings

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Eriocaulacaea setaceum. They keep dying on me

Cheers
    Vincent
    If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere. - Vincent Van Gogh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, glosso requires high light, and probably CO2 as well. Mine failed to creep although it is growing, upwards that is.

Another plant that I would like to mention is the B. Japonica. It melted away during my first attempt. But consecutively, they seem to be thriving. I guess temperature plays a part. Also, I've gotten more B. Japonica from a friend and they seem to be stabilizing in the new environment.

Oh yes, Rotala Macrandra. It disintegrated during my first attempt. I guess it could either be the temperature, or insufficient lighting.

Feedback Score
    Any kind of moss for my case. I think my temp of 28-29 is a little warm for them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Toninas no ADA soil, pH not low enough etc...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Folks need to realise that plants need nutrients especially macros and CO2 in higher demand when roasting their tanks with high amount of light. You need to go back to the basics whenever you have issues of growing a plant rather than jumping to wild conclusions till you are sure it is not the light(2w/g is plenty and easier to get red plants...), CO2 or nutrients. Try to add more CO2 and nutrients perharps...Keep the runs for a couple of weeks and monitor for growth.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My Tonina sp. failed in my high KH (>8 ) tank.

I also have trouble with Hydrocotyle sibtorpioides. Not really a total failure, but struggling very badly.

Hemianthus callitrichoides also did not do well in my high KH tank. (It could be due to the Seachem Onyx substrate too.) It thrived in my low KH(<4), non-CO2 tank though.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Red Tiger lotus. No luck since day 1. They grow new leaves only to succumb to premature rotting.

Still can’t put my finger on the cause… but I guess they hated Mr Low-maintenance

At the rate they’re performing, I’ll soon be shopping for plastic tiger lotus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mike,

Those Red Tiger Lotus need rich base. Stuff a few stick of fert-tab into your substrate near where it stands helps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My glosso did not crawl despite trying many methods until a year later it finally crawled! I still can't figure out why except there are 2 different things:

I float the glosso on the surface for a very long time and somehow they crawls, so I transplanted them into the substrate thereafter

The substrate is more fertile after all the waste material settled onto them.

C Griffithi. Failed 2 times, they just disappear. Going to my 3rd attempt. Hopefully, 3 is my lucky number! =)

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for mi is APP and HC
    maybe my lighting not strong enough

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    same here!! My app turns yellowish den rot away.. i guess its lacking NO4 or NO3? i'm not too sure..
    about my HC my yamatos like to pull them out.. n now i juz leave them on the surface..
    Cheers,
    Fazdli
    (St George''s Rd)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    APP likes lots of NO3
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanx for the responses everyone....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What about other cause of plant failure? Someone is attacking my APP. At first it was ok and spreading fast and then someone got a liking to the it. It got all cut up and the snipped leaves are floating on top of the tank. I suspect that the yamatoes are the culprit. Or maybe it be the zebra snail?

To grow them back, I placed a wire mess to protect it. After growing well, half of it was gone the next morning after I removed the protection. If I found the culprit, I will hang him/her.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

red tiger

Hi Elmike, still got no luck with your reds? Remember we dicussed about this issue 3 weeks ago and about my red tiger mini plantlets got stunted for 2-3 mths and i nearly gave up..... Guess what? i took your advice and shafted in half a stick of those taiwanese fertilisers and both of them have since grown to about 5-6 inches tall and with big leaves!!

i guess when a lotus decides to grow, it will grow like no tomorrow...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Geoffrey, kelloggs

How many sticks and how frequently do you feed?? I put in 1 stick per mth...very stingy amt mainly because I'm still a bit worried abt NH3/ NO2. The other big question is I don't know long they last buried as I believe there's a risk of cumulative spikes if you put in a new one before the other is completely soaked up.

Alright, I'll be more aggressive w the sticks the next time and hope for a turnaround.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    for me it is impossible to keep Blyxsa japonica. have tried 3 times and failed all times. don't know why, too many factors to consider. most other plants i tried are ok. some grew like weeds and had to be removed as i prefer low maintenance plants that do not grow fast or tall.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:0310f5c630="elmike"]Geoffrey, kelloggs

How many sticks and how frequently do you feed?? I put in 1 stick per mth...very stingy amt mainly because I'm still a bit worried abt NH3/ NO2. The other big question is I don't know long they last buried as I believe there's a risk of cumulative spikes if you put in a new one before the other is completely soaked up.

Alright, I'll be more aggressive w the sticks the next time and hope for a turnaround.[/quote:0310f5c630]

1 stick per month? No sure what you are using, but usually they are suppose to last months

And what sticks are you using? Jobe or Horti? You should worry about N- and P-compound spikes only if you are Terrestrial fert sticks. Maybe you should try root monster instead... meant for aquatic use (i.e. low/zero N or P compounds) and full of TE (which are not mentioned on Jobe's. I'm not familiar with Horti).

Low maintanance? With or without CO2? How much light? If low light, it should not be shaded. What substrate? What liquid ferts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:93bf6f7f43="driftw00d"]for me it is impossible to keep Blyxsa japonica. have tried 3 times and failed all times. don't know why, too many factors to consider. most other plants i tried are ok. some grew like weeds and had to be removed as i prefer low maintenance plants that do not grow fast or tall.[/quote:93bf6f7f43]

Same for my friend, until he tried root monsters.

We set up a tank full of blyxa at the FishLove show. They melted over the next few days due to lack of CO2 in a high-light tank.

OTOH, this plant was doing fairly well (green but small) in my non-CO2 tank growing in just plain gravel. But this tank is old and has lots of mulm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast