Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: apisto tank setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I use Ada Africana to keep the ph down. Also have a bag of sera super peat in the canister filter and lots of ketapang leaves in the diplotaenia breeding tank. I've recently added some dried peat moss. The ketapang leaves and peat moss also help to provide hiding places for fry.
    chongyu

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Day 2 of my 1.5ft setup.
    done 80% water change.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

wow bro Venom.... looking forward to the big day I see...The only thing missing is the red sticker with the Chinese word for Happiness. You are getting a pair of trifasciatas right? Trifs are relatively small - may not need so big a tank. In fact, would you believe that I put my mamore in an 8 inch tank & they are doing fine - just not breeding...yet.

By the way, from my own experience & talking with others, apistos do not really require much water change. Currently, I am doing 50% change every two weeks or so. In fact, the irony is that they do well in really aged water.

bro Doppelbanddwarf - So much peat, wouldn't yr ph crash? If there is no coral or sand in the tank, the natural tendency is for ph to come down due to the increased presence of organic matter - correct?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

wow bro Venom.... looking forward to the big day I see...The only thing missing is the red sticker with the Chinese word for Happiness. You are getting a pair of trifasciatas right? Trifs are relatively small - may not need so big a tank. In fact, would you believe that I put my mamore in an 8 inch tank & they are doing fine - just not breeding...yet.

By the way, from my own experience & talking with others, apistos do not really require much water change. Currently, I am doing 50% change every two weeks or so. In fact, the irony is that they do well in really aged water.

bro Doppelbanddwarf - So much peat, wouldn't yr ph crash? If there is no coral or sand in the tank, the natural tendency is for ph to come down due to the increased presence of organic matter - correct?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by EdwinTay View Post

still a long way to go.
    not sure when will the stock be here.
    order 1 male 2 female. hopefully no sneaker

does it be more difficult to maintain water parameter in 8" tank?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi bro Venom

8 inch tank - so far so good..touch wood. But as I said, apistos are surprisingly resilient (you should try albino guppies - die if no water change in 1 week).

By the way, I recommend that you put some plants in yr tank. It helps maintain balance.

Angus (from Stones) mentioned that he will try shipment to be in next Tuesday evening. I already ordered - if confirm on, I will be there Tuesday evening. See you there?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i will add plants and hiding cave in the later stage.
    hopefully i will be able to get the shipment then maybe can see you there.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Im camping here to follow the updates..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

So far the diplotaenias are doing well. Believe it or not I have 3 pairs in roughly 1.5ft space, heavily planted. The 3 females have been breeding with most the dominant male and one one or another either one of the subdominant ones. I have quite a few fry in there from different batches. The aggression is spread out quite evenly though the dominant female always claim the cave when she is breeding. The whole tank is 2ft though.

I'll be going to stones for the next shipment too! Though I might be quite late may not get to meet you guys.
    chongyu

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Bro Edwin,
    You've made 3 partition to a 2ft tank? I'm using such tank size for each pair of apistos too.

I think it's sufficient space if the pair is 'friendly' towards each other. However, I did encounter a few incidents whereby the male/female got killed by its partner.

I think the only way is to put in more hiding place (caves/pots/plants) but that would also mean you see less of your fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

In the wild, sometimes thousands of them can be found in a small drying pool of water, so having several in cramped conditions are possible, but not conducive for their health. When I last kept them, I changed the water maybe once every 2 weeks or so and they were fine. Adults would spawn like clockwork, especially easy ones like trifasciata, that would churn out a lot of fry. IMO, they seem to prefer sandy bottoms over soil-based substrates. Far easier to control parameters with a bag of peat than to rely on soil that will lose it's efficiency over some time.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

added plants and hiding caves to tank on day 3.
    anywhere i need to improve?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

bro alfredliow316 - Yes, I used to do that 3-4 years ago. Actually, the volume of water in each partitioned area is greater than the Gex s tank. However, as the partitioned I used were transparent, the fishes spent time flaring at each other - too stressed. I did consider opaque partitions but I felt that it would make the tanks too dark. Currently, for my Gex s tanks, I am considering keeping 1 male, 2 females. Howver, I am not sure if we can order in this way.

bro Doppelbanddwarf - Did I meet you before? Hope to meet you at Stones. However, Angus has not confirmed the shipment yet. I have kept a lot of types of apistos but NEVER kept diplos - I found them too small.

bro Stormhawk - you are right about the fine sand vs ada soil. In the Romer book, fine sand is recommended. However, it makes the tank heavier and, white sand gets dirty easily.

With rgds to aggressive nature of apistos - to mitigate, add a lot of hiding places - the downside being, like me, cannot see the fish.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

bro Venom - good set-up. I suggest the following;
    1. put one of the pots at the other end of the aquarium but, not facing the filter
    2. face the holes of the pot away from the front _ cannot see fries but, gives females more sense of security
    3. a little more plants - so that the fishes can hide away unseen from each other

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

bro Venom - good set-up. I suggest the following;
    1. put one of the pots at the other end of the aquarium but, not facing the filter
    2. face the holes of the pot away from the front _ cannot see fries but, gives females more sense of security
    3. a little more plants - so that the fishes can hide away unseen from each other
    thanks for the suggestion bro.
    i actually still intend to get some plants like subwassertangs at the base of the soil where the pot opening..
    will revamp the tank once i found more nicer plant.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    thanks for the suggestion bro.
    i actually still intend to get some plants like subwassertangs at the base of the soil where the pot opening..
    will revamp the tank once i found more nicer plant.
    Add some drift woods and stones will look more natural. Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi bros

Three important things which are often overlooked;
    1. Do not under-estimate the cumulative weight of stones, sand etc. - you will be surprised how much heavier the tank becomes,
    2. The more things you add, the less free swimming space for the fish,
    3. Dirt & algae will accumulate on them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

may not want dw in tank.
    wondering if i can keep some cardinal tetras with apisto?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi bro Venom

Yes, you can keep cardinals. In fact, it is advisable to keep some dither fish as they liven up the tank. But, do not keep too many (about 10 will do).

For my Gex s tank, I put 3 glowlight tetras in each tank. I wanted to put neon tetras but they die easily. Cardinals I thought were too expensive (18 tanks x 3 cardinals) as they are secondary to my apisto keeping.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For dither, i'll go for Nannostomus as cardinals seems to be fry predator.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast