Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fire Red Shrimps and selling of shrimps at LFS

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I found out recently from a friend and fellow shrimpster that there are people who sell their shrimps through C328. Apparently some breeders package their shrimps and display them at C328 who will help them sell and extract a commission. Anyone knows of other such LFS who have such services? I know Seaview and Y618 sells packaged shrimps which I now suspect to be from home breeders.

Also, I'm interested in getting high grade fire red shrimps. I know Y618 sells lower grades fire red shrimps (full body red, but it's a bright red, not a deep red). Anyone knows where I can get shrimps like these besides GC and CRS Haven? I've read that higher grade fire red shrimps at Colorful but now that they are close, I don't know of any other places.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fire Red Shrimps and selling of shrimps at LFS

I am in the midst of breeding deep red shrimps through culling. haha... I have a few adults becoming deeper red after some feeding. So ya, waiting for the juveniles to come out.
    “We know very little about what happens to Belugas in the wild, and it’s only through aquariums like this that we actually find out that information.” Clint Wright

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

HAHAH!! I missed those feelings..

planning to restart but need to plan..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yesterday I went to Y618 because I wanted to buy a pack of fire red. They have new stock of shrimps every wed (the package kind) but when I went yesterday, they only have 3 packages. (Just for those interested, these packaged shrimps are low grade fire red/ high grades sakura, according to Navanod's guide). I wasn't too impressed with the 3 packages so I went poking around in their tanks. They only have a tank of "sakura" shrimps but on closer inspection, the shrimps inside are actually a mixture of high grade sakura, and normal grade fire red! (from my experience, a quick way to separate the sakura from the fire red is to look at the legs, and aim for those whose legs are fully or almost fully red.) You can also find berried females inside, a quick way to get shrimplets. The shrimps are also bigger than the ones that you find in the packages, probably mean they are matured already. However I was there quite late at night so I didn't get much time to choose 10 shrimps. I was mainly on the look out for a) berried females b) shrimps with big curved underbelly c) fully red legs d) nice red uniform coloration. I saw a few dark red shrimps lurking at the back but I couldn't tell if the shell is dark red due to the poorer lighting or because they are truly dark red. Will head down to Y618 one day to look again. And the price is very reasonable, 10 for $18 compared to 10 for $16 for the packaged shrimps. I recommend people who are interested in cheap fire red and sakura shrimps to head down to Y618 to take a look.

Also I once called pet mart and asked if they sell fire red shrimps but they say they only sell sakura shrimps. Now I suspect if it's the same case as Y618, they actually sell a mixture but just labeled all their shrimps as sakura.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i bought my fire red shrimps at 328 (my first shrimps) and they were the deep red sort and were <$10 for 5.
    Sadly due to my tank conditions half of them have gone but luckily half of them managed to tide through the new tank.

Over my past few trips to C328, i noticed they don't have packets of the same deep red colour anymore.

Looks like i may have to pay a premium to get them from GC/CRS haven. But at least the shrimps there are free roaming and are much healthier than the ones in the packets.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just some updates after I went to Xing Xing and Seaview this morning:

Xing Xing- They only have a tank of cherry and low grade sakura, selling for $1 a piece. No other shrimps. Quite disappointing from a shrimpster's point of view.

Seaview- They had some new stock compared to the last time I was there. Saw Orange Sakura (which I've never seen anywhere else) but I forgot to note the price. Also saw Chocolate Shrimps selling 2 for $25 or 5 for $40. Most of them are sakura grade and only a few were low grade fire grade. Both of these are color variations of the RCS.

On a side note, I bought a cheap container of shrimp food from Seaview, from Tzong Yang Aquarium Co Ltd of Taiwan. Interesting thing is that it contains shrimp meat!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Boss i also want. please keep us in the loop,