My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: A 2ft Rockscape

is a canister filter sufficient?
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If it's thread algae better remove affected parts asap

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

yes I would recommend canister because you can easily relocate the outflow to meet your hardscape. You will also have flexibility on injecting CO2 into the tank
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Shadow is right... you need to improve the flow in the tank.

Looking back at your previous photos, i now notice the hang-on filter is on the back glass at the left side, so the output and intake of water are currently just re-circulating in a loop at the left area.

Maybe re-position the filter to the left panel of your tank? So that the flow goes lengthwise from left to right of the tank, instead of just concentrating on the left side.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Look at what happened? I didn't manage to secure a canister filter and the flowrate for the existing HOF is really poor. The tank is over run by algae.

I am planning to get that canister filter or power head to get the required flow.

Lesson Learnt:
    1) Never add livestocks so fast before tank mature (In this case i bobian because these livestocks were transferred from another decommissioned tank.)
    2) Invest in hardware that provides good water circulation in the tank

Experts, any advice on any effective way i can remove the algae ? I bought Easylife Algexit to control the growth. But i guess i need to solve the fundamentals.

Last edited by marle; 4th May 2013 at 23:31.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Time to add in some algae clean up crew!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up Re: A 2ft Rockscape

Looks like too much light/nutrients but not enough plant mass at the initial start-up stage to absorb them all, so algae feed on the excess.

Water circulation is likely part of the cause too, thread algae growing between the stems of HC and HG usually indicates that the water is not circulating well in those areas, so probably not enough Co2 reaching those plants and nutrients tend to accumulate in those gaps which the algae feed on.

The most common solution is to increase the Co2 to much higher levels to help the plants out-compete algae, but you have fishes and shrimps in the tank so that's abit tricky (unless you shift the fishes to another temporary tank).

I guess you'll have to run the excel spot treatment and manual removal procedures (might have to remove some of the HC bunches as they tend to get really tangled up with thick thread algae though), then work on improving the water circulation and light/nutrient/Co2 balance.

Also consider dosing excel daily (to help keep algae at bay and further boost plant growth) and adding fast growing plants (ie. amazon frogbits or water sprite/wisteria, you can restrict them to one corner with a floating feeding dish or breeder box), they can temporarily help soak up excess nitrates and nutrients too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Looks like too much light/nutrients but not enough plant mass at the initial start-up stage to absorb them all, so algae feed on the excess.

Water circulation is likely part of the cause too, thread algae growing between the stems of HC and HG usually indicates that the water is not circulating well in those areas, so probably not enough Co2 reaching those plants and nutrients tend to accumulate in those gaps which the algae feed on.

The most common solution is to increase the Co2 to much higher levels to help the plants out-compete algae, but you have fishes and shrimps in the tank so that's abit tricky (unless you shift the fishes to another temporary tank).

I guess you'll have to run the excel spot treatment and manual removal procedures (might have to remove some of the HC bunches as they tend to get really tangled up with thick thread algae though), then work on improving the water circulation and light/nutrient/Co2 balance.

Also consider dosing excel daily (to help keep algae at bay and further boost plant growth) and adding fast growing plants (ie. amazon frogbits or water sprite/wisteria, you can restrict them to one corner with a floating feeding dish or breeder box), they can temporarily help soak up excess nitrates and nutrients too.

I think you hit the spot Urban Aquaria.. I realized my biggest mistake is the terrible initial flow within the aquarium. The aquarium is a piece of work now. The leaves of the HC no longer look healthy with some fading greenish colour and transparency. Very upset... but am not giving up.

Not sure if this is good?? part of the c02 enters the inlet and shoots out through the outlet..

Bought an Atman Canister filter(surprisingly good flow with priming button) and lily pipes. There is finally FLOW within the aquarium.

From what i can see, the algae is not growing anymore, but whether its residing still remains to be seen.
    Last edited by marle; 6th May 2013 at 20:35.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

you need algae cleaning crew to help with the cleaning
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    you need algae cleaning crew to help with the cleaning

Do you recommend getting algae crew or removing algae infested plants(which is like all of them)?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do you recommend getting algae crew or removing algae infested plants(which is like all of them)?
    IMO, add 10 - 20 yamato shrimps, 2 oto, 2 norned nerite snail and reduce lighting period. That should clear the algae in no time.

part of the c02 enters the inlet and shoots out through the outlet..
    Shift the co2 diffuser away from filter inlet as that will affect the lifespan of your canister filter's propeller.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i would say get a cleaning crew,remove algae infested plants and manually cleaning the algae by using toothbrush....pheeew...
    that is a lot of work brudder.....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    i would say get a cleaning crew,remove algae infested plants and manually cleaning the algae by using toothbrush....pheeew...
    that is a lot of work brudder.....
    Damn... when will i get my pasture so when i look at it, it gives a relaxing feeling? Till date, its been a tiring but learning journey of HC uprooting, multiple trips to the LFS, cleaning, changing water, canister filter auto unplugged today..and my apartment became a pool.. haha.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by marle View Post
    Damn... when will i get my pasture so when i look at it, it gives a relaxing feeling? Till date, its been a tiring but learning journey of HC uprooting, multiple trips to the LFS, cleaning, changing water, canister filter auto unplugged today..and my apartment became a pool.. haha.
    oh boy i hope your flooring is not wood.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If I were you, I will just redo. Manual cleaning probably take more time than replant
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

probably can consider solving the algae issue, achieve an eco balance in the tank first before replanting. Otherwise even if u replant the HC but the eco balance is not there, same thing will repeat all over again.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    If I were you, I will just redo. Manual cleaning probably take more time than replant
    Won't the algae still be present if i take out all the plants and re-do? Should i take the gravel out too?

RE-DO = SHAG

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by josephogk View Post
    IMO, add 10 - 20 yamato shrimps, 2 oto, 2 norned nerite snail and reduce lighting period. That should clear the algae in no time.

Shift the co2 diffuser away from filter inlet as that will affect the lifespan of your canister filter's propeller.
    Thanks for the advice bro.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

just to add on.. adding frogbits will help to combat algae growth by a great deal as it competes with the algae for nutrients.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast