Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting planted tank

Feedback Score

Starting planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Ok...i am ready. yesterday when down to nature to have a look and cannot "ta han" anymore so went back home and psyco my wife for a permit [][].

Anyone can recomemd a LFS where all item can be purchase from..one stop shop including a nice tank (60x40x45).

BTW, hagen product like aquaclear 200 available locally ? & where.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    go with a bigger tank if possible.
    otherwise, you will encounter insufficient front to back depth when you start
    planting.
    when plants start growing, you will encounter insufficient top to bottom depth.

most lfs should be one stop shop except the price.
    try serangoon north, a few lfs there.
    may not be one stop shop, at least one stop location.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Have not seen any Hagen products except for Fluvel. I have seen one from other maker which look almost identical. Eheim also has a similar model (Liberty series), but I do not recommend because they uses only carbon filter cartriges. I will recommend Superstars at Downtown East Pasir Ris.

I have a tank of exactly the same dimension as you mentioned. I wished I have gotten a larger one. Larger tank ==> less maintenance needed. Go for the bigest one which your space and budget allow.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nature aquarium.. they have everything u need

Feedback Score
    Ok..my max space left in my living is only for 60cm ...wish i can get bigger too. Just came back from Petmart and they got this tank there (nisso ??) 50 buck for tank alone with out light & filter hood. Anyone know where to get a tank that can fit 2x30w light by nature and come with hood. i personally think that a tank with hood will make it look many time nicer. From here i think will use JBL Co2 & eheim internal filter..any comment.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if u getting a tank with a hood, then simply bring down the hood to nature and ask chan to custom make the lights on it.. but beware, since the tank is enclosed, u gotta provide some circulation or the heat built up in the tank will be super high

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you want planted tank, suggest you forget the hood. It always gets in the way, plus you can't admire the plants from the surface.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Since the space allowable is 60cm, may I suggest 60X60X60 cm tank. Very nice effect for planted tank
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Pls let me know where to find such dimension tank? ... or hv to custom made. i know one at gullimard road. but they alway said 2 weeks... still perfer to buy off the shelf..pls let me know. [:] Thanks.

BTW any comment on the JBL CO2 diffuser (petmart) & eheim internal filter 2008 or 2010.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you get a 60x60x60 that will be 200 litres / 50 gallons. You will be needing about 150W of lighting, and should seriously consider a cannister filter. And make sure your table you're going to put it on can take the weight (around 250kg).
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Just my thoughts. Does your permit limit you to size ? If not, from personal experience, try as much as possible to get a bigger tank or like someone suggested, a deeper one cos' it'll give you a lot more flexibility in the layout.
    If it takes 2 weeks for delivery, I think it's worth the wait, unless of course your permit has an expiry date

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 3/13/2002 3:34:28 PM

snip snip....one at gullimard road......snip snip

----------------
    Psanya...

The guillemard road one's a bit on the pricy side, if u ask me, but their workmanship's quite gd (fr what i saw when i was there...)

Nizz

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/13/2002 3:34:28 PM

Pls let me know where to find such dimension tank? ... or hv to custom made. i know one at gullimard road. but they alway said 2 weeks... still perfer to buy off the shelf..pls let me know. [:] Thanks.

BTW any comment on the JBL CO2 diffuser (petmart) & eheim internal filter 2008 or 2010.

----------------
    good things must wait!
    It is always gonna be seen so make sure you buy the best you can if not you will regret over the eyesore you see everyday you go home.

Yeah if you have 60cm all round, like what they said, it will be very nice!

if you get 60x60x60, with that volume, it is better you get a canister. 2224/2024 should do, depending on your setup and fish stock..2226/2026 is more comfortable. (I dont advocate ecco...for relative price comparison.)
    http://www.eheim.comeheim homepage[/url]

i dont have very good experience with SIn CHew (gullimard) you can try Nature or i can intro a friend to you also.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for a 2cube t go to bioplast or soon heng to make them aslo can.

For filters suggest you get 2026 if not 2222,2224 also can..do the job for u nicely
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/13/2002 9:35:11 PM

for a 2cube t go to bioplast or soon heng to make them aslo can.

For filters suggest you get 2026 if not 2222,2224 also can..do the job for u nicely
    ----------------
    i'm afraid bioplast takes a few months to come thru, as their tanks are made in germany
    but the quality is well worth the wait, and the price for smaller tanks is very attractive

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    2ft cube needs to be custom made. The tank maker too can make the stand. I would suggest a cabinet, which looks much much nicer. That would come with a bigger price tag though. Do consider.

My advice:
    Try to get the biggest tank that fit both your in your home and budget. The cube may look small but it is equivalent or bigger than my 1m tank. And this still fall within the scope of your permit.

Lighting - might I suggest an 150W MH light. Looks absolutely perfect for your 2ft cube. Cost may be around $340 ~ $400.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    most tank loooks pretty good with a cabinet of cos..it bleads into the house deco.

hmmm i think fish tank with cabinet should be now consider into house deco so that it makes the house more attractive and of cos for us fish lovers =) a good bargain. NX time don't have to pester wife for permission. Just one shot get a 6ft or more tank.

Lightins- MH. Blub of the MH need to be change after 2years thats what i heard=)
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bene,

1. Toataly agree on the cabinet bit. Cabinet looks best to blend into the home deco. Esp if you're going to put the tank in the living room.

2. Yes, MH need to be replaced at an interval of 2 years similar to FL/PL tubes which needs to be replaced at an interval of 6 months. So in the long run MH would be more economical.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    after i've asked rainbow and soon heng regarding on 6ft cabinet and metal stand it's a change in my thinking to go for a cabinet then a metal stand.

was quoted by rainbow 1k for a metal stand and was quoted by soon heng 780 for a metal stand while getting a cabinet for a 6ft is 700, which is a better buy.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BTW if you decide to get a cannister, I'd definitely recommend Eheim. I'm using a 2222 ($190 not sure good price or not) and it is so so quiet, I have to check the rainbar to make sure it is actually running.

And if you do buy Eheim, NEVER NEVER buy from QianHu, unless you like to be raped and pillaged []

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast