Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Problem with plants in sides of tank. How to remedy??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Problem with plants in sides of tank. How to remedy??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    On my corner-back left is rotala wallichii and corner-back right is Ludwigia inclinata var verticilata, Ludwigia sp 'Cuba'. Both not growing will. My is a 4ft with 1.5 height. Back is a 2x55pl and front is 2x36pl. Trimmed the rotala for 2-3 months now, only a number of new heads shoots. Trimmed the ludwigia top and plant them back for 1-2 month now, only 2 shoots out of the 10 which is nearer to the 3/4 right of tank grew to the top. The rest remain short as the time I just trim them. Use both base and liquid fert and also CO2, should be sufficient through advice and time test.

Should I get extra light, but according to the equation, mine is slightly more than 3w/gal.

Only the sides recieved minimum light? How?

What plants can be used to replace the above plant and look nice?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice is subjective. You'll have to decide what you want there. If you have an idea of what kind of plants you want there, list it, then maybe someone can suggest. E.g. stemmed? colour? leaf size? Etc. Decide what you think will look nice there. Or at least show a photo, then the forumers can see and give suggestions.

In this case, you have one criteria you cannot run away from... not light demanding.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thks Mr Vinz,

Can have a look at my tank at the link below. Need to know what plants can be used to replace or add into the tank. And if possible how to help the corner plants to grow. Put in another light?? What type, design. Mine is already 3watt/gal. How

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286860395

Thks for helping, guys.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bro plantz,

There is no problem with your lighting requirement. Check your co2 circulation, there maybe some issue.

As for your ludwigia, try not to do any trimming first, did you notice any roots at the lower part of the stem?

How long has your tank been set up? Could it be your base fertiliser issue?

Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If light and CO2 is OK, then have to look at fertilisation.
    How are you adding for your macros N,P,K,Ca,Mg and trace elements?

BTW - R.wallichi is not an easy plant. Ensure it is not blocked by floating plants as it needs more light. Moreover the fine leaves are prone to be eaten by SAE and Yamato. Do you see them doing that?

The Ludwigia should be easier.

BTW - a very nice tank!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:19f16bee92="fleekk"]
    As for your ludwigia, try not to do any trimming first, did you notice any roots at the lower part of the stem?
    [/quote:19f16bee92]

What does it mean if there are roots at the lower part of the stem? Not enough base fert not fertile?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:7f9fc8964b="subxero"][quote:7f9fc8964b="fleekk"]
    [/quote:7f9fc8964b]

What does it mean if there are roots at the lower part of the stem? Not enough base fert not fertile?[/quote:7f9fc8964b]

If you can see a lot of roots sticking out from the stem at the lower portion above the gravel, try not to cut it away. Some bros cut it away & replant the upper portion. Although it looks untidy but it will be good for propagating new shoots (those with roots). Be patient, good fertilisation regime, co2 & lighting, you will get new stem coming out from the middle of the stem even w/o cutting.

As for the base fertiliser, I am checking with Bro plantz as how long has the set up been? If it is too long, try inserting some root monster.
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Thanks fleekk for enlightening me. Those roots are really ugly :P

I find Monster Root really "potent", it is good for plants with roots.. it make them grow really fast compare with just base fertiliser.

Anyone tried other brands like tetra, jbl, dennerle other than oceanfree monster root? How is the result?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mr fleekk,
    CO2 circulation?? The flow of my water or the amt of co2?? I am using a rain guage to circulate the dissolved CO2 which go throu a ext reactor, 1-2 bubble per sec. (increasing to 3bubbles/sec this week) Is the light really not a problem coz the side recieve less light...

For my ludwigia, I just trimmed the only 2 long ones yest before I read your mail..... Didn't notice any roots growing from the stem.

Set up for 5mths. Using cocopeat and aquatic compost from fareast. Just added 2 monster roots yest near the ludwigia.

Mr juggler,
    I add my fert using Dr Mallick's KNO3, KH2PO4 and micros, and seacheam flourish. The dosings are adviced by moderator Mr Vinz.
    My top is partially covered by floating plants as in gallery, should I remove them?? Thought they good for absorbing excess nutrients. No SAE and yamatoes don't eat them. Thks for the comments.

Thks guys.... Hope the problem can solve soon, preparing my tank for my brother's wedding tea ceremony next month.... no time no time..... : (

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote="plantz"]Mr fleekk,
    CO2 circulation?? The flow of my water or the amt of co2?? I am using a rain guage to circulate the dissolved CO2 which go throu a ext reactor, 1-2 bubble per sec. (increasing to 3bubbles/sec this week) Is the light really not a problem coz the side recieve less light...

If basing on the 3w/gal, it should be fine but I do not undestand why less light as it looks to be it is directly under your lighting. Another suggestion will be to lower your lighting, remove your light-stand.

For my ludwigia, I just trimmed the only 2 long ones yest before I read your mail..... Didn't notice any roots growing from the stem.

Its ok, do not trim them anymore, just let it grow to their maximum length. Continue with your fertilisation regime, ensure your co2 range hit abt 30ppm. It should be fine.
    Set up for 5mths. Using cocopeat and aquatic compost from fareast. Just added 2 monster roots yest near the ludwigia.
    Cheers
    CFP