Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: is thermoelectric chiller efficient?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

is thermoelectric chiller efficient?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there, anyone has tried using a thermoelectric chiller to cool your tank water?

I was looking at one Azoo TE chiller suppose to be for tank size up to 55 gallon. But mine tank size is only 22 gallon. Anyone can share your knowledge on whether this TE chiller is able to cool the tank water to about 26degrees? I've heard a TE chiller cooling efficiency depends very much on the surrounding temp. True?

This tank is meant for a moss tank. I've used a fan but to no avail.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi!

I have not used chillers before but know a bit about them in my industry. Thermo chillers maintain a stable temp gradient when it has reached its steady state but takes a longer time to reach the desired temperature. As for normal chillers that use refrigerant, it can reach the desired temp faster but its temp gradient is more erractic, meaning it goes up and down as the thermostat switches on and off as it hit the set temp. IMO, in terms of cooling abilities, normal chillers are more powerful and good when MHs are used. For TE chillers, it is less powerful but can maintain a more steady temp, the it is depentent on the surroundings of the body that requires cooling. Correct me if I'm wrong and it is only my 2 cents worth!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    thermoelectric chiller can be powerful too.
    however, they could be bigger due to bigger heatsinks being required to cool the thermoelectric devices.
    both normal chiller and thermoelectric chillers efficiencies are dependent on the surrounding temperature, maybe more sensitive for the thermoelectric chiller.

the azoo chiller will most likely be able to maintain your 22 gallon tank at 26 degrees. does any lfs has one demostration? maybe that will help you gauge.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys, thanks for the response.

Now I was contemplating getting a 2nd hand ice probe without the temperature controller. One chap is selling it for $180.
    It was claimed by the owner that it could chill a 30 gallon tank to 25degrees. I was wondering is it able to maintain this temperature throughout the day. Logically, the temperature will be higher during hot days while lower during colder days since the ice probe is not controlled by the temperature controller. Can anyone share their views?

Also, what about the fishes/shrimps/snails in the tank. Will it be too cold for them during cold days?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I saw the azoo chiller at polyart, but at crazy prices I think..

keong seong has some hailea brand thermoelectric chiller, have a look at it also

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i just saw the azoo chiller today ...
    quite ex for something so small ...
    its quite quiet though ... almost as loud as my cpu ..

anybody using it? any comments?

im wondering whether it can chill a 4 ft tank though? ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Have you considered getting Resun chiller? Starting from ard $300 for a 1/10hp. But for a 4ft tank, I think a 1/5hp is adequate.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The azoo TE chiller should cost around $600 plus. I've actually requested a seller to demo to me and it' takes about 20 mins to cool a pail of water from room temp to around 26degress. Quite efficient. But have to note that it's only a pail of water that it's cooling with no other equipment running. It will be good if someone who is running one at home to share their experiece. I would like to buy it just to try it out, but the hefty price tag holds me back...still considering though...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:1ba83196ee="BFG"]Have you considered getting Resun chiller? Starting from ard $300 for a 1/10hp. But for a 4ft tank, I think a 1/5hp is adequate.[/quote:1ba83196ee]

I've actually rule out the compressor chiller bcos of it's noise and heat. Space is also a constraint for me. Am looking at the ice probe at the moment.

Yesterday, my single fan unit manage to cool the water down to 26degrees. Guess must be the cool weather these few days.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    thermoelectric chiller will also produce heat and will generate some noise due to fans being used to cool the peltier elements. noise may/will increase as the fan bearings get worn.
    and peltier generates a lot of heat. these elements works with a temperature differential of about 60 degrees. that means, when tank temperature is about 26 degrees, the 'hot' side of the peltier elements will be about 86 degrees. and fans are used to remove this heat.