Images
    Country
    Singapore

Help - Breeding Tetra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can anyone advise me on how does a Tetra breed? Currently I am having 1 black tetra with bloated stomach. I highly suspect that it is having eggs. I have seperated it out from the main tank, however I do not know where to go/what to do next.

1. Can the tetra lay eggs on her own?
    2. Does it need a company of a male tetra?
    3. Any idea how to identify a male Black Tetra?

Jason Tsee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    Hi,

1&2. A male is needed(Can ask Budak for details..about evolution..bla bla)
    3. The matured male has slender body shape, and more colorful(more black in this case) and they have much longer dorsal fin.

I would suggest you to get a matured male first.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help - Breeding Tetra

Jason, a rounded stomach doesn't always mean a gravid female. Intestine bacterial infection often cause bloatness as well.

Unlike female guppies which can 'store' sperm from previous mating, tetras definitely need a mate. So, yes, go get that stud.

Sexual differences can be subtle in some tetra species but generally, males are slimmer and better colored. The actual mating is usually in fine leafed plant or java moss. Some stick 'em eggs beneath leaves too.

Before you actually attempt to breed them, may I suggest you give some thoughts to fry food. A spawn is not sucessful until one's able to bring up the brood. Don't quite look forward to your next query "Help - Feeding Tetra fry!"

Getting too confident now is akin to counting your chicks before they hatch.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes. Thanks all for the advise. I'm aware of the indigestion problems of the fishes as well... I had experiences with life bearers and the indigestion problems as well. My previous egg hatching experience come from angel fish, where they naturally paired up themselves... Now I need to find the 'father' to these eggs...haha. Hope I choose the correct male fish