Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Nuphar japonica

Nuphar japonica

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys!
    my nuphar has started to form floating leaves. does it mean that no more 'normal' leaves? does it help if i snip the floating ones?[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    huh... do NJ grow surface leaves? This is news to me. Mine never grew surface leaves...... Anyway, for any plant grwing surface leaves, you just snip them off and it will not grow anymore surface leaves.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ah Ha! So you are the one who is using "ck"... no wonder I cannot register as that...

anyway, regarding your problem....yah, Nuphar can grow "floating" leaves. Your must be very big already. It will stick out of the water like Echinodorus... eventually, it will start throwing out yellow flowers (that doesn't look like lily)...

Cut it. If not, it will throw more emersed leaves out and complete its lifecycle.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi CK Yeo, would like to try this NJ in a 6-in deep "pond" and let it grow out of the water. Is it a difficult plant compared to the red tiger lotus? Will it do well in an outdoor environment where it is bright but only a short while of direct sun?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    6"? You add the depth of the pot already more than 6" already. Dun think it will work. Well, you can try it anyway since Nuphar not so expensive.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what do you mean "pot"? the water depth is 6-inch, which I suspect is kind of shallow for the NJ. I'm mainly planting bacopa, echinodorus and tiger lotus trying to get them emersed.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, I thought you going to plant the thing in a pot. You mean your pond have gravel?

For bacopa is easy getting them emersed.
    Tiger lily... the most you will get is floating leaves. It will not stick out of the water.
    Echinodorus... depends on which one. some more easy than others.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi CK Yeo, yes I basically treat the trough (4ftx1ftx8in) and put in soil and gravel. I left the floating leaves on the Tiger Lotus hopefully it will flower lah. Echinodorus I've got some unknown oval shaped ones (from Ghim Moh wet market) and also a Marble Queen. We'll see how it goes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the oval shape ones are most likely E. cordifolius.. they are cheap rite? 3 in a pot for around $1?
    regarding the lily... give it bright light and a boost of magic balls (root monsters)... when it is big enough, it will flower.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    fwoah! will go and get root monsters. Anyway luckily it came with a big bard.