4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Custom 2-Tier Metal Stand & Tanks Setup Journal

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Due to limited living space and my quest for additional larger tanks, i embarked on a project to customize a 2-tier metal stand & tanks setup.

I've spoken to other fellow enthusiasts who have also been keen on similar setups, so i've decided to post my progress to share the experience.

Stand

I wanted a metal stand which could hold and sustain the weight of 2 x 64 litre/60cm tanks (L60cm x D30cm x H36cm) positioned in a double tier layout, so i got a stand custom made to my specifications.

The height of the stand was to be 90cm tall. With the 36cm height of my intended tank on top, the total height of the setup will be 126cm. I've found that this is the ideal overall height for me to view the top tank while seated at my desk (the tank will be at eye level), and it'll still be easy for me to scape and maintain the tank too.

The middle section of the rack has a height of 56cm, with the 2nd tank there also at 36cm height, this allows for a 20cm working gap. From prior experience, this is sufficient enough for me to access the tank for setup and maintenance.

The bottom section of the tank has a height of 30cm from the floor, this allows me to place 2 x compact-sized canister filters underneath (along with the power plugs), so that they are somewhat hidden and less noticeable (compared to placing them beside the stand).

In addition, the stand was customized 5cm wider on each side, so that there is some extra clearance space on the left and right side of the both tanks.

Here is the completed customized metal stand.

The build quality was good and it was made to my specifications, unfortunately the metal stand maker could only paint it black... but i preferred a different color.

So i proceeded to spray paint the stand myself. I tried silver (too bright)... grey (too plain)... then i eventually found a dark metallic grey color that fit the tone i was looking for perfectly.

After hours of sanding, preparation and carefully spray painting multiple coats, this was the result.

I like this particular color because it resembles the ADA garden stand silver/grey color tone, not too bright, not too dark... looks neutral and matches my room decor well.

Tanks

I prefer high clarity tanks, so my choice of tanks are made of low-iron glass with minimal silicone. I choose the popular tank dimensions of L60cm x D30cm x H36cm.

Equipment

For flow and filtration, i'm using Eheim Ecco Pro 130 canister filters, along with VIV glass lily pipe sets. For lighting, i'm using Up Aqua Z-Series Pro LED Z-20 (60cm) light sets.

Here are how the canister filters and power plugs positioned at the bottom section of the stand.

Everything is kept within the footprint of the stand, so that it is neat and tidy. This still allows for full access to the filters, double taps and hoses, which makes regular maintenance much easier.

Competed Setup

Once all the items are assembled and plugged in, this is what the completed setup looks like with the room lights on.

Here is what it looks like with the room lights off.

Another angle, this is the view from my desk.

Overall, i'm quite pleased with the setup.

Time come up with some inspiration and ideas to scape them.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 24th May 2013 at 18:34.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Custom 2-Tier Metal Stand & Tanks Setup Journal

What are you going to put in the tank?
    By the way, how many tanks do have now?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Now I see the reason for you selling your smaller tanks away recently. Is it alright to share the builder of the tank/stand. They do look very chic looking simple and elegant. Of course that's before all the pipings and stuff start going in.

It has been a great joy and motivation reading your post UA, look forward to more and sincere thank you for all info shared.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Re: Custom 2-Tier Metal Stand & Tanks Setup Journal

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    What are you going to put in the tank?
    By the way, how many tanks do have now?
    Still planning and collecting scaping materials, one of my objectives with this 2 tank configuration is to always have a spare established tank available (to shift over and house the plants and fishes/shrimps) whenever i'm re-scaping one of them, hence i'll be running both tanks with similar water parameters... i've discovered that i get bored of scapes quite fast, so this setup allows me to re-scape and try new layouts more often.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmax View Post
    Now I see the reason for you selling your smaller tanks away recently. Is it alright to share the builder of the tank/stand...
    I got my metal stand custom made through East Ocean.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    i've discovered that i get bored of scapes quite fast, so this setup allows me to re-scape and try new layouts more often.
    Welcome to the world of Aquascaping
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

neat setup... great effort

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

U still can find the led light?couldnt find it anywhere..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mt09 View Post
    U still can find the led light?couldnt find it anywhere..
    Yeah, they are still currently out-of-stock locally. I ordered my sets online from eBay instead.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ohh,must have cost a bomb..great blogging on your tanks again..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ah finally setting up those tanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Very nice. Cant think of a better design this. Aren't you worried about putting it on the wooden flooring? And the equipment too?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bro, the other day while I'm refilling water for my 4ft tank, I got too engrossed playing games on my mobile that the water just flooded overflowing the tank... My 3 poor bunny boys, with part of their home inside the bottom tier, immediately went hysterical with the sudden rain... Lucky thou the power plugs are not sitting on the basement floor...

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up Re: Custom 2-Tier Metal Stand & Tanks Setup Journal

Quote Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
    Very nice. Cant think of a better design this. Aren't you worried about putting it on the wooden flooring? And the equipment too?
    The sealed varnish on my parquet flooring is relatively new, so i guess there is some measure of water resistance, but i still always make sure to wipe away any drips or spills.

The stand has rubber feet and the overall load isn't too high, so no visible dents created yet. Though if i shift the stand in the future and it really leave 4 dents on the flooring, then i'll probably just hide them with another shelving or cupboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Merviso View Post
    Bro, the other day while I'm refilling water for my 4ft tank, I got too engrossed playing games on my mobile that the water just flooded overflowing the tank... My 3 poor bunny boys, with part of their home inside the bottom tier, immediately went hysterical with the sudden rain... Lucky thou the power plugs are not sitting on the basement floor...
    Haha... that almost happened to me too, i've since reverted back to using a bucket and cup to do water changes, luckily my tanks are still within reasonable volumes to use that method.

Yeah, i was also considering the risk of water dripping or spilling down the stand onto the power plugs too... so i've now relocated the power extension strip to under my desk instead, then trail all the light and filter cords over to that side, keep them a distance away from any accidental water spillage.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice stand as usual Urban. Gunmetal Gray, excellent color choice.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wink Re: Custom 2-Tier Metal Stand & Tanks Setup Journal

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Nice stand as usual Urban. Gunmetal Gray, excellent color choice.
    Thanks!

Guess i figured ADA will probably never produce a 2-tier garden stand, so i decided to create my own budget version.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow...nice...have wanted the time and space for this setup and I like the LED lightings. Hope to get one soon. Do fill us up with your updates
    ~~Steven ~~
    Another Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    2ft Tank ~~~Terappin Moonlight Gourami~~~
    4ft Tank ~~~Oto Nerite Snail Platy Zebra Danio Glass Bloodfin Cardinal Tetra Albino Cory Khuli Weather Loach Rainbow Shark~~~

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA for this. Was looking for photos of GUSH tanks from GC.