Country
    Singapore

Sakura Shrimp Quarantine?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I bought 5 sakura shrimps from c328 and was wondering if I should quarantine them the same way as I quarantine any new fish for a period of 2 weeks.

These shrimps we kept in a separate floating bag at the LFS so at least they were not in contact with any fish. However, I am afraid if the water they were in might be from another fish tank and may contain parasites or other infectious diseases such as Ick.

I heard these shrimps are quiet sensitive so im a bit afraid of placing them in a quarantine tank which really doesn't have any substrate or plants for them to cling onto, but it is an established QT. I also read that invertebrates/shrimps do not carry fish diseases...???

Seeking advice on what to do. Should I quarantine them or acclimate them straight into the main tank?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Sakura Shrimp Quarantine?

i dont quarantine them. I acclimatise them and put them into the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    i dont quarantine them. I acclimatise them and put them into the tank.
    Thanks Erctheanda, but im just too paranoid so I decided to quarantine the little Sakuras for 2 weeks. I read a case here that someone's Sakura got infected with green fungus, which completely scared me!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you have the extra tank and time you should do that. Usually when you buy the shrimps their condition are roughly known. Look for anything extra sticking out from their head region, condition of the shell any black spots etc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I don't quarantine the shrimp but i guess it would be good to do so.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I placed them in the QT with a sponge filter floating on the top to which they have clung themselves.

I hope these little guys can survive well in the QT!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Dont have to worry sakura shrimp are one of the toughest shrimp around

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Are cherries just as tough as you said sakuras to be? Was told by LFS uncle they are... So just wondering... I guess if I buy the cheapest shrimps in the shop they,should be the toughest right?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fatmax View Post
    Are cherries just as tough as you said sakuras to be? Was told by LFS uncle they are... So just wondering... I guess if I buy the cheapest shrimps in the shop they,should be the toughest right?
    Yup as long it is the cheaper cherry line of shrimp they are tough: cherry, sakura, red rilis and low grade fire red. For the others like painted fire red, carbon rilis they are less tough as they are specially bred and usually in kept in better water condition. This is what I have seen while keeping them.

But having said that you still need to maintain your tank cannot slack!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by qool View Post
    Yup as long it is the cheaper cherry line of shrimp they are tough: cherry, sakura, red rilis and low grade fire red. For the others like painted fire red, carbon rilis they are less tough as they are specially bred and usually in kept in better water condition. This is what I have seen while keeping them.

But having said that you still need to maintain your tank cannot slack!
    Bro, when you say "maintain" what kind of maintenance are we looking at? I just bought 50 cherries for 10bucks! Cheapest I can find in the shop so.... Yipee my first shrimping experience!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Maintain as in keeping your tank water in good condition, leftover food are cleared etc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by qool View Post
    Maintain as in keeping your tank water in good condition, leftover food are cleared etc.
    Agree with qool. From what I understand, Sakuras do not like nitrate levels over 40ppm.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I would suggest you quarantine them. Sometimes, Planaria hitchhike a ride on the shrimps into new tanks. Since you have a spare tank, might as well do it. At least in a bare bottom tank with simple filtration and some mosses, you can pick out the Planaria as you see them. I had Planaria come in on a bunch of moss. Had to manually remove them before they exploded in numbers. Same thing happened when I bought a bag of cherry shrimps. Left them in QT for a week and Planaria appeared. No plants in the QT tank either so they had to have come from the shrimps.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    I would suggest you quarantine them. Sometimes, Planaria hitchhike a ride on the shrimps into new tanks. Since you have a spare tank, might as well do it. At least in a bare bottom tank with simple filtration and some mosses, you can pick out the Planaria as you see them. I had Planaria come in on a bunch of moss. Had to manually remove them before they exploded in numbers. Same thing happened when I bought a bag of cherry shrimps. Left them in QT for a week and Planaria appeared. No plants in the QT tank either so they had to have come from the shrimps.
    Hi Storm, how big are the planaria? Are you able to see them?