Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Keeping emerged crypts under ambient and diffused sunlight by the window

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Keeping emerged crypts under ambient and diffused sunlight by the window

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of growing some emersed crypts under the above lighting condition. The sunlight by my window isn't that strong most of the time, and it is usually quite diffused. What do you guys think, will crypts make it?

I'm thinking of some easy 'beginner' types, anyone has any recommendation to the type of crypts that I can grow?

TIA!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Keeping emerged crypts under ambient and diffused sunlight by the window

Don't need strong lighting for crypts to survive, moisture and temperature are more important, avoid direct sunlight as the heat built up will kill your crypts. Algae may be a problem as well if your tank is exposed to direct or even strong diffused sunlight. Try C. wendtii and C. pondeteriifolia as a start.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by illumbomb View Post
    Don't need strong lighting for crypts to survive, moisture and temperature are more important, avoid direct sunlight as the heat built up will kill your crypts. Algae may be a problem as well if your tank is exposed to direct or even strong diffused sunlight. Try C. wendtii and C. pondeteriifolia as a start.
    Hi illumbomb,

Thanks for your reply! I've been to your blogspot, you're the da man!

I've planted some emersed crypts (im not sure the species) into a glass container, and used potting soil and sphagnum moss, and added water till they are really wet, much like those damn soil you find by the riverbank.

I've also placed a pendant light above the setup, and I wonder if this will be too bright for the crypts. Let me show you my setup

[/URL]

What do you think, is the pendant light too bright?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi I think the light is ok, it's always good to have good lighting although it is not critical for cryptocoryne in my opinion only, especially if there will be heat built up. There was a veteran who once told me he had 2 identical emersed tank set ups in his shop but one is in the air-conditioned portion and one is not and the one with lower temperature had better growth.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks illumbomb, I'll stick to ambient diffused lighting from the window for now, the heat from the pendant light can be quite hot as it is a little too low for my liking.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Last night, I left the container uncovered and switch on the pendant light for 2.5 hrs, after which most of the leaves and stalks went soft and were just left splat on the susbtrate floor! The leaves were still 'wet' from my misting and the light wan't that hot either.

What is the likely reason for such a reaction from the plants? Lighting too intense for the crypts?

Thank God most leaves and stalks recovered from this, and were back to their usual self, except 2 of them.

Guess I'll just leave them to the low diffused sunlight then.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My guess will be the plant's response to changes in humidity level.