Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Condition on breeding RCS

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys, I been keeping my shrimp(Fire red) for more than half a year.
    My ph, gh, nitrate all seems normal. But until now, there is still no sign of them mating/breeding. I can't see shrimplet at all or any female carrying egg.

Last time i kept my shrimp on a tank with ph7, they breed like mad.
    == Ngiam ==

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Condition on breeding RCS

How many shrimps do you have in your tank? And when was the last spawn?

Do you also cull or move shrimps between tanks based on color? Sometimes people cull or move too many and end up somehow removing all the male shrimps from a tank, as male shrimps usually have less color.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

erm.. currently hold around 12 shrimp. no spawn at all.

ops, sorry... i think my words is confuse there: "Last time i kept my shrimp on a tank with ph7, they breed like mad." <- this was refer to other batch of shrimp,which long gone already.
    I didn't move my shrimp at all.
    == Ngiam ==

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Changing water encourages the shrimps to shed their shell (molting) and increases the chance of berried.
    Or you can put the male and female in a breeding tank and leave them for a few days.
    I keep sulawesi shrimps, tetras, birds, exotic pets, herptiles and monster fishes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by foxngn View Post
    erm.. currently hold around 12 shrimp. no spawn at all.

ops, sorry... i think my words is confuse there: "Last time i kept my shrimp on a tank with ph7, they breed like mad." <- this was refer to other batch of shrimp,which long gone already.
    I didn't move my shrimp at all.
    Maybe the new batch by some off chance got no male shrimps? It could happen if only the reddest shrimps were picked and somehow end up all females.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If your shrimps are changing shell regulary you can try using breeding liquid like Mosaru ERO or Benibichi breeding liquid. It may help to drive your sleeping males into a more active mode.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Any pictures to see between the sexes?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by kennethc View Post
    Changing water encourages the shrimps to shed their shell (molting) and increases the chance of berried.
    Or you can put the male and female in a breeding tank and leave them for a few days.
    hmm... can took it in consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Maybe the new batch by some off chance got no male shrimps? It could happen if only the reddest shrimps were picked and somehow end up all females.
    Could be, anyhow, i need to re-check it again.

Quote Originally Posted by qool View Post
    If your shrimps are changing shell regulary you can try using breeding liquid like Mosaru ERO or Benibichi breeding liquid. It may help to drive your sleeping males into a more active mode.
    ya, i got saw this product. But it quite expensive, it will be my last step.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasliao View Post
    Any pictures to see between the sexes?
    I'll try to get some shot first, but most certainly there is female inside.
    Btw, i heard some people said that fire red cherry shrimp is hard to differentiate male or female, due to both of them are equally red, how true is that ?
    == Ngiam ==

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by foxngn View Post
    I'll try to get some shot first, but most certainly there is female inside.
    Btw, i heard some people said that fire red cherry shrimp is hard to differentiate male or female, due to both of them are equally red, how true is that ?
    Depends on how red your fire reds are (if they are painted fire reds with a solid opaque red color shell then it'll be abit tougher to see the pre-fertilized egg "saddle" to confirm), but generally non-berried female shrimps have a noticeable egg saddle under their backs and tend to be larger and fatter... while males tend to be less red color, smaller in size, slimmer and with no noticeable egg saddles under their backs.

Check out this link for more info and photos:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/74217-Grading-system-of-Cherry-to-Fire-Red-Shrimps

Majority of the fire red shrimps we buy tend to be females though, as most of the male shrimps tend to get culled due to their less red color, hence there is usually a great imbalance in the male/female ratio of shrimps sold at LFS.

Best is to find confirmed male shrimps which are painted fire red grade (have to monitor them closely to see), those will be ideal for breeding more high quality fire reds.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 4th Jun 2013 at 15:28.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

try old sea mud...
    I have good experienced with them... even guppies population increase!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Depends on how red your fire reds are (if they are painted fire reds with a solid opaque red color shell then it'll be abit tougher to see the pre-fertilized egg "saddle" to confirm), but generally non-berried female shrimps have a noticeable egg saddle under their backs and tend to be larger and fatter... while males tend to be less red color, smaller in size, slimmer and with no noticeable egg saddles under their backs.

Check out this link for more info and photos:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/74217-Grading-system-of-Cherry-to-Fire-Red-Shrimps

Majority of the fire red shrimps we buy tend to be females though, as most of the male shrimps tend to get culled due to their less red color, hence there is usually a great imbalance in the male/female ratio of shrimps sold at LFS.

Best is to find confirmed male shrimps which are painted fire red grade (have to monitor them closely to see), those will be ideal for breeding more high quality fire reds.
    i can see majority of my fire red community are female, while a few hardly visible whether there is egg saddles or none.

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    try old sea mud...
    I have good experienced with them... even guppies population increase!
    is it ? It increase the chance of breeding as well ? As checked, it was only meant for enhance water quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    == Ngiam ==

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by qool View Post
    this is interesting. i will try and look out for the breeding liquid. would be good to actively get my shrimps into breeding mode.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What about your KH?