Country
    Singapore

Red face Goldfish Cronicles

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Friends!

I did not see any recently dated Goldfish thread so I thought maybe I'd start one ...

I'm keen on keeping Oranda Goldfish and look forward to any advice on this type.

I bought my fish tank about 6 months ago and started with 2 goldfish and 1 sucker fish. I'm still unsure about the different types of goldfish. These were red and white color, with a fat belly, with top fin thingy and a short 3-pointed tail.

My 2 goldfish, Pirate and Birdy were happy and healthy for 3 months. My sucker fish, Blackie seemed happy too. Then ... I added another 6 goldfish and 1 albino sucker fish, Whitey. At this point, I started to notice that my sucker fish, Blackie, had started to chase some of the fish around - like he was getting territorial ... Whitey was always hiding somewhere ...

Then, the new fish started dying and I kept getting more and more to replace the dead ones (some people told me better to have 8 goldfish for good feng shui?). Sigh ... I was really happy with just 2 goldfish and 1 sucker fish.

However, after the original 2 goldfish, Pirate and Birdy died, I stopped buying new ones.

So ... basically I'm here to find out what I did wrong and hopefully get it right this time!

Please feel free to advise me and talk about your goldfish here!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Goldfish Cronicles

How big is ur tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Kismet,

I've seen your nick somewhere, motoring forum?

Suckers or Plecos as we call them here, don't go well with Goldfish or other slow movers like Discus. Period. They eat the slime off other fish, gold fish to them are like big blobs of jello.

Keep fancy gold fish only with other fancy goldfish(eg.ryukin, ranchu, oranda,pearl scale,etc). Don't mix with koi or comets or other long body goldfish. Swimming habits are different.

Size of the tank and fish will decide how many fish to keep.

Whats the tank size?

What type of filters are you using?

How often is your water change?

What are you feeding?
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bryan, I also have questions about my goldfish tank. I setup a new 2' ISO tank.
    I keep water inside for about 24 hours so that chlorine will disappear from water and keep running my ehiem 2215 for 24 hours.
    Then, I put in baby ramchu x 2pcs and baby ryukin x 2pc all are about 1.5" nose to tail.
    But what I occur is my goldfishes do not swim very well in the tank. and all hide in the one conner.
    Is it because of 2215 water flow is too high for 2' tank? Anything can I do?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

When I put them back to my another 3' tank with other fishes. They play very well and eat a lot.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Well you just answered your own question. Turn down the pump flow. Read up on cycling new tanks.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Bryan. I twisted canister outlet toward the glass to weaken the water flow in the tank.. Now my babies do not hide in the conner anymore.