Images
    Country
    Singapore

CO2 reactor/diffuser redundancy

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, just for discussion. Have anyone thought of injecting CO2 into the tank through the inflow tube? In this manner, the CO2 will be fully dissolved inside the canister before it flows back into the tank.

Initially my thought is whether the CO2 injected and at the same time dissolved within the canister, will it cause corrosion or whatever damages to it and resulting it’s malfunction? However on second thoughts, even if a diffuser/reactor is used in the tank, the water with dissolved CO2 will still flow back into the canister thus rendering damages, if it does. SO it’s back to square one.

If it’s the same whether we inject CO2 through the canister’s inflow tube or in tank througha diffuser/reactor, then why are we still using a reactor/diffusor then?

Would you like to discuss on this?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: CO2 reactor/diffuser redundancy

[quote:b7f318fbc3="carlfsk"]Hi guys, just for discussion. Have anyone thought of injecting CO2 into the tank through the inflow tube? In this manner, the CO2 will be fully dissolved inside the canister before it flows back into the tank.

Initially my thought is whether the CO2 injected and at the same time dissolved within the canister, will it cause corrosion or whatever damages to it and resulting it’s malfunction? However on second thoughts, even if a diffuser/reactor is used in the tank, the water with dissolved CO2 will still flow back into the canister thus rendering damages, if it does. SO it’s back to square one.

If it’s the same whether we inject CO2 through the canister’s inflow tube or in tank througha diffuser/reactor, then why are we still using a reactor/diffusor then?

Would you like to discuss on this?[/quote:b7f318fbc3]

I believe the problem isn't about corrosion but the result of burning out the motor in the cannister filter... co2 bubbles raising to the top of the cannister when the motor is located... This will cause problem if the Co2 isn't dissolved fast enough and the air pocket increases, meaning the motor isn't submerge into water

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:18ed0802c0="carlfsk"]Hi guys, just for discussion. Have anyone thought of injecting CO2 into the tank through the inflow tube? In this manner, the CO2 will be fully dissolved inside the canister before it flows back into the tank.?[/quote:18ed0802c0]

You’re finally thinking…

Do like I did. Dump that reactor down the window (now be careful you don’t kill someone in that process! ).

Get a 2nd powerhead for CO2 diffusion. You need a long pipe/ tube plus 2-3 elbows and hook this to the filter outlet. The extension should span the length of the tank. Run CO2 tubing into an airstone and put this in the filter media compartment. For better distribution of CO2, make 2-3 holes along the length of the piped extension.

Submerge the pump low down. And there you have it - a DIY diffuser.

My improvisation has worked well. No more green reactor to clean and curse.

See related threads here:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpBB...ic.php?t=16475

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpBB...ic.php?t=18376

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:b93d4f54fa="elmike"]You’re finally thinking…

Do like I did. Dump that reactor down the window (now be careful you don’t kill someone in that process! )[/quote:b93d4f54fa]

Boy, I got so worried on my way home from work when this bloody voice kept haunting me, “what if this chap stops thinking?”

I’ll de damned!

Phew, it was like a race against time, and the minute I stepped into the house, I dashed like crazy for the computer. Now listen…

NOW PLEASE DON’T DO WHAT I TOLD YOU TO DO. JUST DO THE NECESSARY, OKAY?

Everyone’s alright out there? And please, me not from Senkang, hor?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

[quote:75105b9b78="carlfsk"]..........
    [/quote:75105b9b78]
    the main issue is how to prevent 'airlock'. this happens when a big air bubble forms in the impeller chamber thus stopping water flow. the impeller will spin 'free' and will heat up as there is no water flow to cool the motor/impeller assembly.

also eheim does not mention anything obout piping co2 into their filters. would be a good marketing/selling point.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:fed6c5332b="Simon"]co2 bubbles raising to the top of the cannister when the motor is located... This will cause problem if the Co2 isn't dissolved fast enough and the air pocket increases, meaning the motor isn't submerge into water[/quote:fed6c5332b]

[quote:fed6c5332b="tawauboy"]the main issue is how to prevent 'airlock'. this happens when a big air bubble forms in the impeller chamber thus stopping water flow. the impeller will spin 'free' and will heat up as there is no water flow to cool the motor/impeller assembly.

[/quote:fed6c5332b]

I agree w tawauboy. I don't think tiny CO2 bubbles will collect in the impeller housing to cause any damage. I've taken my DIY system a step further (just 2 wks ago) by removing the last piece of sponge (that I used to trap debris). Some of my plts are bubbles, so I reckon the system is efficient.

My only concern is a power failure. The powerhead is likely to airlock when the power kicks in again, as CO2 would have built up a positive pressure within the impeller chamber. The only way to make the impeller turn again is to disconnect the pipe from the filter outlet to vent off the positive pressure and then reconnect it, meaning you would have to be there. What if this happened while you are at work? For me, I will run home!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I've had this idea going in my head for a while now.

Instead of using injecting co2 thru the top hole on the 5-ball reactor, I thought of plugging the hole completely, connect a co2-diffuser to my co2 tubing, and insert the diffuser into the reactor from the bottom (outlet) hole.

This way, the co2 is diffused into smaller air bubbles and will float up the reactor. The plug prevents the co2 from escaping. I have this idealogy that smaller co2 bubbles will diffuse faster into the water, and thereby increasing the efficiency. Can anyone visualise what I'm trying to get across? Any comments on such a modification?
    Yecch!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Try feeding into the intake of a inverted powerhead connected to the input of the reactor instead. (Tied off the CO2 injection point on the reactor side.) (Method from Thomas Barr's design.)

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

[quote:0f9e360e6e="elmike"]

My only concern is a power failure. .................[/quote:0f9e360e6e]

if your co2 system has a solenoid, there is no need to run home. the solenoid will shut off the co2.
    however, if there is no solenoid then .......

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:39bf943c68="Desewer"]

.................., I thought of plugging the hole completely, connect a co2-diffuser to my co2 tubing, and insert the diffuser into the reactor from the bottom (outlet) hole.

This way, the co2 is diffused into smaller air bubbles and will float up the reactor. The plug prevents the co2 from escaping. I have this idealogy that smaller co2 bubbles will diffuse faster into the water, and thereby increasing the efficiency. Can anyone visualise what I'm trying to get across? Any comments on such a modification?[/quote:39bf943c68]

for identical volume of co2, smaller co2 bubbles does diffuse faster than a few big bubbles. bigger surface area.

however, your idea suffers from some drawbacks
    1) reduced outflow due to blockage by co2 tubing
    2) tiny co2 bubble may not have the bouyancy to 'float' up against the water current

what you can do is to stick a diffuser to the original co2 inlet to get smaller co2 bubbles. (how to stick? - think diy) then let the swirling action of the water dissolve the co2.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm. i thought most reactor has a diffusor attached to the inlet? the one i got from NA has the diffusor.
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:72e6771954="mordrake"]hmmm. i thought most reactor has a diffusor attached to the inlet? the one i got from NA has the diffusor.[/quote:72e6771954]

The modular, mult-tier Taiwan-made green reactor has a white diffusor stone at the terminal. The trouble is, no CO2 bubbles comes out thru the diffusor at all. With my unit, there was a lot of leakage at the mid-segments, as there were bubbles rising from the connecting joints. It is difficult, if not impossibe to render the joints airtight. Therein lies a design flaw. And when I once took apart the racks to clean, the diffusor stone got detached and that was the last straw.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    FISH! Just to get past that bad number!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:948aef8635="elmike"][quote:948aef8635="mordrake"]hmmm. i thought most reactor has a diffusor attached to the inlet? the one i got from NA has the diffusor.[/quote:948aef8635]

The modular, mult-tier Taiwan-made green reactor has a white diffusor stone at the terminal. The trouble is, no CO2 bubbles comes out thru the diffusor at all. With my unit, there was a lot of leakage at the mid-segments, as there were bubbles rising from the connecting joints. It is difficult, if not impossibe to render the joints airtight. Therein lies a design flaw. And when I once took apart the racks to clean, the diffusor stone got detached and that was the last straw.[/quote:948aef8635]

alamak Mike, so many problems no wonder you fedup la
    so far my reactor with diffusor is working fine.
    no leaks and tiny tiny bubbles all the time
    but I have not tried to clean it yet though........
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim