6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Suitable inverts for betta setups

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was wondering what invertebrates might be suitable as cleanup crew snd companions for small betta aquariums with pH in the mildly acidic range.

I've got a few Malaysian trumpet snails in there, but I don't think they're doing very well due to the water conditions. Are there any snails that can actually do well in mildly acidic water? And are there any shrimps large enough to not get eaten by the betta, and will also survive in this environment? I think the ghost shrimps in my main community aquarium wouldn't really like the acidity.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Suitable inverts for betta setups

I've tried ramshorn snails and one per container they seem to survive alright so far. Shrimp-wise I've tried cherries but depending on the age of the fish it might not work. Any shrimp smaller than the betta's mouth would be food to it. Having said that I do keep a juvenile betta in my shrimp tank, and it still nips at the larger shrimp as well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe you can try Yamato Shrimp or the Singapore Flower Shrimp, both are peaceful large shrimp. While the ghost shrimp is also a good candidate, it is could get aggressive and pinch your betta fish. I personally keep some ghost shrimp and i observed aggression towards weaker fish

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Adult yamato can be quite aggressive, my friend's crs got eaten and bullies by yamato

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the suggestions!

I put in some pond snails and they seem to be doing alright for now, despite the water being slightly acidic.

I'm not worried about the ghost shrimps attacking my bettas; my bettas were initially in my community setup and they got along just fine with the small ghost shrimps. I'm more concerned as to whether the shrimps will mind the lower pH, and whether the bettas might end up nipping at them when they're in a more confined space, which was what happened with a couple of bettas I had previously. I'm certainly not going to take the risk with smaller shrimps like cherries.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Got a few ghost shrimps (3-4 cm long) and put them in with my male bettas. Despite the dense plant cover, they were harassed and bullied. So I guess my bettas will have to be content with snails as tankmates.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

what plants do you use that go with the snails and the betta? my betta likes to lie down at the bottom of his tank sometimes so i decided not to put shrimps.. didnt think about snails!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have salvinia (floating), and a mix of hydrilla and najas (unrooted). Seems like the plants can tolerate some munching by the snails.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i use apple snails as a companion/ clean up crew for my betta fries, works really well and so far no problems