5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Care for angelfish fries

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I would like to share the joy in obtaining offsprings with my blue angelfish. The thing is, I've had numerous failed attempts at this

This time however, it's the most number of offsprings that I've had! Watching the parents trying hard to gather their young via their mouths, is simply fascinating!

I'm wondering whether any bros out there would like to share their success stories for me to learn from. For the past 3 months, not one offspring survived past a week. Previously, I've tried to separate the young from the rest of the fishes as well as their parents. However this time, I felt that leaving them in the current tank would be a better option - and it proved to be a wise choice as there are more young ones this time round.

Current setup:
    2×1.5×1.5ft tank
    Minimal layer of sudo sand
    Pair of blue angelfish
    6 corydoras sterbai
    1 L181

Hope you guys feel the excitement too!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Care for angelfish fries

Here's a picture of the offsprings crowding on the driftwood branch

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Keep the parents by themselves. No bottom feeders. Your sterbai will eat the fry during wriggler stage and when the fry rest at night. Remove the pleco as well. When the fry are young, providing a constant supply of food is necessary. If you see them crowding around a spot, they are feeding on microfauna living on the wood and substrate. It is crucial to have live BBS and Daphnia on standby.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i failed a couples of times on this.... no skill on this fries, hope you can have success.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all,
    I've had a lot of fun raising discus and angelfish young. But it takes more work with angels than discus because for discus the young will simply grow out eating the slime off their parents' bodies. Recently, my pair of adult angels spawned after a massive water change; they'd done so many time when smaller but I did not do anything to isolate the fries and naturally, none survived though I suspect the other fish in the community tank enjoyed the high protein meal.
    This time, the pair spawned on the moss growing on the bogwood in the tank and I didn't realise until the moss started wriggling. Managed to siphon out the brood into a big bucket when they started to free-swim, initially with one of the parents cos the other evaded me. Removed the parent after a few days; fed the wrigglers Liquidfry and Hikari first bites, which was never going to be enough.
    What really worked was 'boon' (daphnia) and several trips to Y618 later, enough of them survived. It has been nearly two months now, and the survivors (around a dozen of them, could've been more if I didn't have to go for a trip overseas after dumping two bags of boon inside) have started attacking frozen blood worm this week. I think I shall be transferring them to the community tank soon, once they are bigger than the mouths of the adult fish I have there.
    This latest batch has truly rekindled my love for angelfish, and I look forward to seeing them grow.

Have fun all!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by AngelAddick View Post
    Hi all,
    I've had a lot of fun raising discus and angelfish young. But it takes more work with angels than discus because for discus the young will simply grow out eating the slime off their parents' bodies. Recently, my pair of adult angels spawned after a massive water change; they'd done so many time when smaller but I did not do anything to isolate the fries and naturally, none survived though I suspect the other fish in the community tank enjoyed the high protein meal.
    This time, the pair spawned on the moss growing on the bogwood in the tank and I didn't realise until the moss started wriggling. Managed to siphon out the brood into a big bucket when they started to free-swim, initially with one of the parents cos the other evaded me. Removed the parent after a few days; fed the wrigglers Liquidfry and Hikari first bites, which was never going to be enough.
    What really worked was 'boon' (daphnia) and several trips to Y618 later, enough of them survived. It has been nearly two months now, and the survivors (around a dozen of them, could've been more if I didn't have to go for a trip overseas after dumping two bags of boon inside) have started attacking frozen blood worm this week. I think I shall be transferring them to the community tank soon, once they are bigger than the mouths of the adult fish I have there.
    This latest batch has truly rekindled my love for angelfish, and I look forward to seeing them grow.

Have fun all!
    Awesome bro! I gave up raising them last year as I felt I couldn't raise them responsibly after a number of failed attempts. Probably when I have more space when I move I'll dedicate more time to raising the fries well. Care to share pictures of your success? ☺

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've had successful experience with angelfish fries as well. Think the crucial part is the "boon". Just dump it in with some green water and ignore the fry, they will soon become big. Make sure your filter isn't too strong, a simple corner filter should work (you will see fries swimming in and out of it but don't worry - there's no issue at all).

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Question Re: Care for angelfish fries

Okay I give up what is boon?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tessa View Post
    Okay I give up what is boon?
    "Boon" is a local term for daphnia... more specifically the smaller moina species, which is commonly available from various LFS in singapore.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 9th May 2015 at 10:43.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Angels fries need to be fed during free swim even with the care of the parents.
    BBS is the most ideal food source.
    Must be separate out with others' fish.

CHeers..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

fry3.jpg

my 9 days old frys.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

BBS.jpg

Hatching BBS everyday.
    Morning and Night 1 bottle each, 3rd bottle for spare incase got a bottle crash.

CHeers..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore