Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: why did my blue lobster suddenly die!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

why did my blue lobster suddenly die!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just bought my blue lobster from a lfs near my place. i brought it home and place it in my tank.. with a few small guppies, but, in 3days, it suddenly die.. when i place it in the tank, it will always try to climb out, but on the the 2nd day, it did not move much, but 3rd day, in the morning it was moving, but when i got home in the afternoon it suddenly not moving, DEAD!!!! why will it happen? all my other guppies were fine, but not my blue lobster.. what can i do to my tank to make it a better living place for lobster. pls help me!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: why did my blue lobster suddenly die!!

More details about your tank can help troubleshoot. Im suspecting that he doesn't have shelter to hide, or perhaps feeding diet issues?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What is ideal parameters for your guppies might not be ideal for the crayfish.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lobsters need shelter and air. Climbing up may indicate lack of air in the water for it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi!!! Thanks for the replies.. yes i have place some pvc pipes into the tank.. and i on the air pump every time in the morning and night when i am around.. because it will get hot, so i only on it when i am home.. for diet, i use sinking pellet to feed it..i am using a plug and use tank.. its using using overhead filter for it.. what else i need to do? Thanks alot in advance for the advise and help!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The pump should be on all the time. If the air pump is not on, the lobster has to go to the surface for air, hence the climbing. I think your lobster drowned.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I believe temperature isn't really an issue for most of them, i used to own 3 red claw lobster, a cherax quadricarinatus, and a cherax destructor. Small tank placed directly below window with window opened, operated with HOB filter and an air pump -> airstone. They live happily, just that i get greenwater issues quite often.

For the climbing out part, i believe its normal, my curious lobsters used to climb around the tank, even climbed out once when i set up my moss wall. Its only when the water is really bad (to the extend of foul smelling due to decaying corpse from feeders) then i can see them climbing to the top and hang sideway to breathe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think the actual term for it should be crayfish, not lobster. Below is my setup. One cray stalking the feeder fish while another is hiding in the corner. There is one more cray hiding in the cave below the mountain.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

yabby needs some place to hide and dig.
    to escape or rather go around is in their nature, unless the water is super foul to them.

think its better to refer them as crayfish for local name. lobster... lol pretty misleading.

Sent from my GT-N7105
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If it died within just 3 days, it could be due to unsuitable water conditions (guppies can tolerate foul water way more than shrimps/crayfish)... or your tank could be okay and unluckily it just died of stress during transition or from pre-existing illness.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ok!!! thanks alot for all the information about the blue crayfish.. maybe i should wait awhile longer before i can keep a crayfish... Thanks alot!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I keep 2 red crayfish, they are really hardy creatures. Just keep the aeration on all the time. Keeping it long term will have to pay attention to the diet. I fed one of my crayfish with too much fish food and it lost a few limbs during the molt.
    Luckily it is growing back the lost limbs after the latest molt, just a lot smaller. I guess it will take some time to grow back to original size. here is some photos. The one arm crayfish is the female and the other is a male. One thing with keeping them with fishes is they will try very hard to catch and eat them
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My old cray, losing limbs are common during moulting, this guy lost his claw once, recovered After 2-3 moult. While recovering, I dropped pellet food instead of live food for easy eating.

Generally, they can live in almost any kind of water, my water parameters are real bad back then, because I just started the hobby and only used a small hob in a 2ft, water was smelly and brown, clown loach die off within an hour in the water But he survives somehow

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

20130605_200436.jpg My current cray, have 4 others but this is the biggest. i never had any issues with them trying to escape the tank. they are very very adaptable to their environment and they do not die easily.

I suspect that it already had some problems at the LFS where you bought it from.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm pretty worried about my female crayfish. She lost 1 claw and 3 legs during previous previous molt. She have only start growing back a small part of the claw and 2 legs. 1 leg is still missing!! While it will not affect her mobility i would like to ask other owners of crayfish if i can expect the other small leg to grow back during future molts. It feels pretty weird to me why she did not grow back all her legs. lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I won't be worried. They do grow back. I have a cray that lost 1 claw and 2 legs in a fight. Now, the claw has grown back and one leg. The other is growing. I will try to post some pictures when I get them. Perhaps, we should open a new thread about crays instead of hijacking this thread.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Dead blue crayfish = bad water quality, insufficient aeration, inability to moult.

Crayfish do not like dirty water. A rise in nitrates or nitrites can kill them, same with ammonia. Treat them as you would with shrimps, and they will survive for a long time.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I had a red and a blue, but the red died after a moult. Left the blue survivor.
    Sharing is Caring