3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How to plant with ADA soil?.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am facing difficulty planting directly into the soil. Tried using the twizzer but the soil could not grip resulting in the plant pulled out of soil when the twizzer is removed. Used my barehands to plant, result is better but gets uprooted eventually. Is there a trick to planting them directly to the ADA soil or do I need to top off the soil with lapis sand as with my past experience with other brand of soil?.

By the way the height of the soil in the tank is between 3 to 4 inches. The plant that I was trying to plant is the Tiger Lily. That is the only starter plant that I have with me at the moment.
    3ft Tank. Eheim 2028. ADA soil. LIghting 2 X 39 T5 / pressurized Co2 @ 8hrs/day.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to plant with ADA soil?.

Try inserting the plant at 45 degrees into the surface of the soil, such that when you remove your tweezer, there is the weight of the soil that will keep the plant planted in the substrate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

did you moisten the soil first?
    I find that before pulling out the tweezer, use your other hand to push soil to cover up the space left by the plant and that should do the trick
    -=I work in the dark to serve the light=-

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

push in the plant with tweezers, then wriggle the tweezer a bit as you pull out..aquasoil will generally collapse down...and cover the roots

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Try to do it in a fast planting motion. in and out.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

use a spray bottle, heavily moist the soil until u can see the water has gone all the way to the bottom (through the side of the tank)
    use the twisser, push in, release the pressure and as mentioned, slowly "dance" your way out. at an angle will increase the grip too.
    initial starting you may face difficulties. but soon you will find it easy.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@tingfeng, Kungfu planting? No-Shadow-Planting Palm?

Videos that have been posted in AQ long time ago, Most of them have no audio.

Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    @tingfeng, Kungfu planting? No-Shadow-Planting Palm?

Videos that have been posted in AQ long time ago, Most of them have no audio.

Thanks for the video link. Just a clarification. My interpretation is that the plant should be squeezed between the fingers into the soil. Correct me if I am wrong. Nevertheless the technique works but need some getting use to. Needs to remove all lightings in order to get both hands into the tank.
    3ft Tank. Eheim 2028. ADA soil. LIghting 2 X 39 T5 / pressurized Co2 @ 8hrs/day.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Thanks for the video link. Just a clarification. My interpretation is that the plant should be squeezed between the fingers into the soil. Correct me if I am wrong. Nevertheless the technique works but need some getting use to. Needs to remove all lightings in order to get both hands into the tank.
    Something like that, with practice you will get used to it.
    Yes have to remove lighting if their in the way.

There are actually more in youtube, but i leave that to you to search it out.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."