Country
    Singapore

Snail Breeding Problem

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear All senior,

I do not know where can i post this thread, If any moderator help move to the right section.I am facing those small snail breeding, Have tried using those snail eating snail. Have still see a few as & went crawling around the glass.

Advice is deeply appreciated. Thanks.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Snail Breeding Problem

To me, assassin snail is still the best solution... Its slow but effective.

Assassin snail + manual removal is the best solution.

Some people might ask you to buy puffer fish but will end up nothing for the cute guy to eat after he finish up the snails.

There are some snail traps sold in lfs/aq members. You may want to try them? Not too expensive,

Try not to resort to harmful chemical if possible.

Always quarantine your plants prior introducing them into your tank to avoid another outbreak

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi! I also had this problem where my tank was infested with alot of snails. Like what bro wongce mentioned, I gt a few assassin snails and the problem was solved within a few days. The only downside would be you will see many empty snail shells lying on the substrate and have to pick them out manually haha.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Don't worry about the snail shells, they are biodegradable....lol

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I've tried assassin snails before. They didn't work, because the snails I have are the very small circular kind. Puffer fish worked, but the snails always come back even if I leave the puffer inside until it grows too thin.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Very difficult to completely remove a snail population once it's established. If your means of control is removed, it will rebound. I found that the best way to reduce it would be less feeding and assassin snails. Assassin snails are a slow but sure method of population control I have used. My 2c

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It took 1 month for me to control the plant snails, i drop 2 assassins on my 3 feet. And manual removal. Tilll it's cleaned, you should remove the assassins from your tank, or else you will end up with assassins harvest tank.

Sent from Tapatalk 4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Does assassin snails eat fish eggs and fry?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank alot for the seniors here advice, have introduce assassins snail to the tank..got it for c328 lfs. they selling at 5 for $5. Hoping will clear soon

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have a 4 footer and I have a single dwarf puffer. He keeps the snail population under control. They're not 100% eliminated but enough such that I really don't see the snails at all. And the puffer somehow has enough to eat and sustains itself. Already have this puffer with me >6 months.

Personally, I am ok having a very small snail population that's under control. No need to be 100% void of snails.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

New here too and I am facing same problem with the snails too. Would like to know what will the assassin snails feed on after all the snails are wipe out?

Sent from my INO_ONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

assassin snail will burrow out of sight and if something like dead fish or weak dying shrimp will become desert.
    if your livestock is well kept, you'll hardly see that happening... only to see empty assassin snail shell (which means too many assasin snail)

i would rather use them as crowd control then eradication method for snails like Boon Yong mentioned.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I had a snail infestation while setting up tank for cycling.

Using only Seachem PH down, I pour in until pH reading went to 2 and maintain for 2 hours before changing water until up to 6, which takes about 12hrs.

I observe for a week in case any eggs survives in my filtration loop. Until today, 3 months on, zero snails.

During that exercise my tank was bare bottom with all my plants in potted plastics container or driftwood.

All plants survived, now with ADA soil as base. I believe this method will kill your BB in filter too. I'm prepared to cycle my tank then.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by milk_vanilla View Post
    It took 1 month for me to control the plant snails, i drop 2 assassins on my 3 feet. And manual removal. Tilll it's cleaned, you should remove the assassins from your tank, or else you will end up with assassins harvest tank.

Sent from Tapatalk 4
    You got it right Milk vanilla, last year my tank was infested with assassins snails..very bad... i have no clue about having to remove it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

whatever you do, do not use a puffer.....these buggers are also very good fin nippers of your other fishes.

another alternative is to push your PH down all the way to Sub 6 level....but you need to sustain this PH for at least 6 months or so.

Last alternative is using snail trap...JBL has pretty good ones...
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[email protected]

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    You got it right Milk vanilla, last year my tank was infested with assassins snails..very bad... i have no clue about having to remove it.
    result snail shell tank. been there too lol
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My tank was also infested with pond snails previously. It was not easy to remove them as their eggs were everywhere, those jelly with about 10 eggs sticking onto the glass! It took me a month, almost every 2-3 days throwing away these pond snails and removing the eggs. They were really a pest! My advise will be to reduce your feeding and ensure that your fish/shrimps finish all the food. Now I am using horn nerite snails as they are nicer but the downside is they don't reproduce.
    3ft Planted Tank Specs.
    1.5ft Reef Tank
    3.5ft Reef tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Any pics? Snails can be good as they eat decaying plant matter?
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

x2 I want to know too
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast