Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

new to planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi there, I am new to planted tank. inside are jus normal Java ferns and a red tiger lotus.

I have 50pcs of cardinal and 30pcs of rummy nose tetra. have 2 SAE and golden SAE. some corydoras too.. may I ask if it is required to have coral chips inside?

my tank is 2ft X 1.5ft X 1.5ft running on atman CF600 canister filter (Biohome grey + Biohome Red mix)

The tank is fully cycled but the reason I am asking if that I notice my cardinal abit distress when in it.. duno why.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: new to planted tank

Hi there, I am suprised that no planted tank experts had advised you.

I am not a planted tank guy, I like fish, specifically small size fish. For cardinals and rummynose where the native ph is acidic to slight acidic, you wouldn't need coral chips.

By the way, personally 50 cardinals + 30 rummynose is way bio-overload for a 2ft tank in my opinion. That's probably why your cardinals feel distressed. It's like a mini hong kong housing.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

too many fish now.
    too sure tank is fully cycled.

please post more details, people like details to help you & if you can't a picture will say it for you.

please note, sms lingo like "dunno", "jus', "u" is not allowed. since its your early post about planted and not marketplace. i will just warn you here

distress maybe due to too little hiding places and too many fish fighting for them.

jwuog, its 50+30+ 3 + x. x meaning cory.
    btw, planting expert also have day job. im not suprised if 24-36 hours no one reply him. most people in aq only want to peddle wares and not so intrested to help.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I believe it only makes sense to say that a tank is fully cycled only if the amount of bacteria present is able to take the excessive bioload you've place on a 2ft tank. Those SAE's shouldn't be in a mere 2ft either.

So unless you've added your fish at very regular and gradual intervals; it isn't cycled to the extent that it requires.