Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How To Make Soft/Hard Acidic/Alkaline Water?

Feedback Score

How To Make Soft/Hard Acidic/Alkaline Water?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    1) Soft Water =>
    2) Hard Water =>
    3) Acidic Water =>
    4) Alkaline Water =>

Feedback Score

1) Soft Water => Boiled Peat Moss, and use the water, but where can I get peat moss? My LFS doesn't carry it.

2) Hard Water => Add some sea shells, coral, limestone, marble chips to your filter.

3) Acidic Water => Bubble CO2 into water

4) Alkaline Water => ??????

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    4) Alkaline water --> add Baking Soda
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:3ad4e4c36d="s050399b"]How To Make Soft/Hard Acidic/Alkaline Water?

1) Soft Water => Boiled Peat Moss, and use the water, but where can I get peat moss? My LFS doesn't carry it.

[/quote:3ad4e4c36d]

Peat will not make your water soft. It will make it acidic. To make your water soft, you need to use R.O. water. Distilled water should work too.
    ckchua

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:e6dc3ee9e9="s050399b"]Boiled Peat Moss, and use the water, but where can I get peat moss? My LFS doesn't carry it.
    ?[/quote:e6dc3ee9e9]

Hi,

I buy my peat from local nurseries. It is pretty cheap. I got mine at $2.50 a bag at a nursery in Lim Chu Kang.

Cheers
    Vincent
    If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere. - Vincent Van Gogh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:208204baf0="ckll"][quote:208204baf0="s050399b"]How To Make Soft/Hard Acidic/Alkaline Water?

[/quote:208204baf0]

Peat will not make your water soft. It will make it acidic. To make your water soft, you need to use R.O. water. Distilled water should work too.[/quote:208204baf0]

My apologies. Peat *does* make water soft. One of Yahoo search results on this here
    ckchua

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:59de6ac666="TanVincent"][quote:59de6ac666="s050399b"]Boiled Peat Moss, and use the water, but where can I get peat moss? My LFS doesn't carry it.
    ?[/quote:59de6ac666]

Hi,

I buy my peat from local nurseries. It is pretty cheap. I got mine at $2.50 a bag at a nursery in Lim Chu Kang.

Cheers
    Vincent[/quote:59de6ac666]

is it close to your home? can mail me one packet? i transfer money to u?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Good grief "s050399b". Getting someone to buy something on your behalf is one thing but having the poor chap stand in queue at the Post Office is another.

If you're going for affordable peat, Horti Peat Moss will work just fine. It's available from most NTUC outlets and even some markets that sells potted-plants and flowers.

Budget allowing, there's Aquarium Münster and Sera filter peat granules than can bring pH down to 4.5 and available at most LFS... that ought to kill most of your goldfish and guppies! (which incidentally will solve part of your overcrowding problems ) If you want to save legwork and try both, I got mine from Eco-Culture.

BTW, if your profile states which area you're staying, it'll also help others to point out a LFS or source near you (think about it).
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee