Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

20 gallon tank stocking

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I'm really open for anything. I have a budget of about $150, maybe a little more if I need to. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 20 gallon tank stocking

Depends on what you want. Planted? Oddballs? Shrimp tank? Biotope? Marine? Maybe you could be a little more specific before we can advise you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by lucasjiang View Post
    Depends on what you want. Planted? Oddballs? Shrimp tank? Biotope? Marine? Maybe you could be a little more specific before we can advise you.
    Sorry but I'm a noob, the only fish I've ever had is betas. I know definitely not a planted tank though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe you can let the rest know what kind of setup you are planning? It will be easier for the rest to advise from there.

You can google and look what others have done and have a better feel of the type of setup you are interested in, a lot of us started that way too

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by tiintinn View Post
    Maybe you can let the rest know what kind of setup you are planning? It will be easier for the rest to advise from there.

You can google and look what others have done and have a better feel of the type of setup you are interested in, a lot of us started that way too
    I saw one thing from google that had a beta, a school of cardinal tetras, and an African dwarf frog. I had an African dwarf frog when I was really young and loved it so I would like to include one of those if possible. The tank is a 20 gallon tall.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Change of plans. A 55 gallon aquarium just fell into my lap. Go big or go home right? Lol

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow, that's huge, I guess its probably about 3 foot long? Haha, im not sure if you are still keen on your dwarf frogs since they would really be dwarfed by the immense size of your tank.

Anyway my idea is that you can do an African biotope tank with the dwarf frogs? Just an idea since you are keen on them. Maybe you could try fishes like ctenopoma ansorgii, which has really beautiful colouration, as well as some African barbs like barbus jae or African tetras like congo tetras to keep together with your frogs. This could be coupled with some easy plants like anubias.

Otherwise your tank would be good for some larger fishes, assuming that you aren't keeping the frogs since the larger ones would definitely eat your frogs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Wow, that's huge, I guess its probably about 3 foot long? Haha, im not sure if you are still keen on your dwarf frogs since they would really be dwarfed by the immense size of your tank.

Anyway my idea is that you can do an African biotope tank with the dwarf frogs? Just an idea since you are keen on them. Maybe you could try fishes like ctenopoma ansorgii, which has really beautiful colouration, as well as some African barbs like barbus jae or African tetras like congo tetras to keep together with your frogs. This could be coupled with some easy plants like anubias.

Otherwise your tank would be good for some larger fishes, assuming that you aren't keeping the frogs since the larger ones would definitely eat your frogs.
    I really like plecos also. Is a common pleco too big for that tank?

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

The common pleco grows to about 1 1/2 feet, hence it might be a little big. You could try other plecos which are smaller from the genus peckoltia, hypancistrus, panaqolus or ancistrus. Some of my personal favourites are L134, L270, L333, L46 (the price is high for this).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro maybe you can setup and start a fishless cycle while decided on what livestock to get. Do it gradually greater chance of success. It can take you up to 3 weeks to get it cycled. To me the first rule of fish keeping is to keep water good water = success

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by sqwerc View Post
    Bro maybe you can setup and start a fishless cycle while decided on what livestock to get. Do it gradually greater chance of success. It can take you up to 3 weeks to get it cycled. To me the first rule of fish keeping is to keep water good water = success
    That is the plan, and it's probably the best because it gives me time to contemplate.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

The common pleco grows to about 1 1/2 feet, hence it might be a little big. You could try other plecos which are smaller from the genus peckoltia, hypancistrus, panaqolus or ancistrus. Some of my personal favourites are L134, L270, L333, L46 (the price is high for this).
    I just figured it out, but it wasn't a pleco my grandma used to have that I loved. It was a Borneo Sucker.

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yea a borneo sucker can definitely fit in your tank, they stay small. They would do fine in a normal aquarium setup, but they would prefer one with higher current and rocks covered with algae to graze on. They also appreciate cooler temperature, below 25 deg celcius would be good i think. Suitable tankmates could be stiphodon sp, rhinogobius sp.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Yea a borneo sucker can definitely fit in your tank, they stay small. They would do fine in a normal aquarium setup, but they would prefer one with higher current and rocks covered with algae to graze on. They also appreciate cooler temperature, below 25 deg celcius would be good i think. Suitable tankmates could be stiphodon sp, rhinogobius sp.
    I might go with the bushynose/bristlenose pleco.