Country
    Singapore

HC looking weird at different area of the tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    Having some trouble with HC and hair aglae and seeking your advice and opinion on how to improve the situation.

Tank is a wall mount, length is 3ft, width 5", height 1ft, using 3ft LED planted light recommended by C328 and using pressurized co2 at 2-3bps. Lighting period reduce to 5hours daily, co2 on 15mins before light on and off 30 mins before light off. Dose seachem NPK and comprehensive using http://calc.petalphile.com/ recommended dosage (I suspect it might be too much for the tank as hair algae getting worst).

I planted two batches of HC at different time as the newly planted UG were consumed by the shrimps...

I noticed HC are growing differently at different parts of the tank and the two batches at the same area also grow differently.

Some seems to be browning and the leaves got so tiny that is almost gone. Is that melting? Those browning is near the area where I did the 1-2 punch to on hair algae which unfortunately wasn't very effective on the hair algae... Not sure if it's because of the treatment or are my HC is dying off due to other reasons. At the same time, I do see some pearling coming from HC around the affect few clusters and anubias nana petite.

The left corner is the first batch (It was accidentally uprooted when the tweezers slipped and went deep into the soil). The one at the upper right is the second batch, they came longer and planted for coming to two weeks now.

HC seems to slowly disappear in this area.

Also need help to identify this plant. HC over here are thick and lush.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: HC looking weird at different area of the tank

Both batches of HC might have been at different levels of growth and health when you got them, hence some melt while some grow, i guess you'll just have give them time to recover and acclimatize to the tank parameters.

Chemical dosing near or directly on HC does kill some of it too, so that could explain some of the melting issues.

In addition, check the flow and circulation in your tank... even with ample Co2 and fertilizer dosing, if there are dead spots in a tank, not enough Co2 or nutrients get to those places, so the HC in such areas will tend to be more prone to algae and exhibit poor growth.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I see, will monitor the situation for another week...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have recently (4 days ago) double the co2 injection after realizing I weren't providing enough previously. My HC and other plants start pearling within 30mins from lights on and drop checker is light green almost yellow by light off (5hours later).

I realized the bunch of HC that pearl the most started to turn brown as shown in the picture below.

This tank is an odd size wall mount: 36" x 5" x 12", I dose Seachem NPK - around 10ml of phosphate, 2ml of nitrogen, 3ml of potassium and 3 ml of comprehensive on alternate day. I read online some say browning is due to deficiency in Iron, the only one I did no use... as read online that specifically dosing of Iron is not necessary. Would like to get some opinions before jumping in to buy Iron.