Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: To clear BGA

To clear BGA

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    My tank kena infected by BGA. I did a lot reading thru the NET and would like to try the antibiotic Erythromycin or Maracyn. I tried to look for it at LFS but no success. I'll appreciate if anyone can advice where to get them and how much it cost in Singapore. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    This is a control drug won't be able to get it without a viet. doctor pre-description.

regards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I thought I saw Maracyn on sale before. NOw the only thing is to remember where I saw it.

CHeers
    Vincent
    If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere. - Vincent Van Gogh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Antibiotics are quick fixes and will not solve your problem if the root cause of your BGA is not resolved. In fact, it may even back-fire if you end up having a strain of drug-resistive BGA. That is definitely a no-no.

Try other methods such as blackout. But you still have to fix your root problem. Typically keeping plants healthier makes dealing with algae alot easier. Do let us know more about the condition of your tank.

Actually my tank kena attack by various kind of alga e.g spot, hair, brush etc after I get some plant from Teo......masive attack....Different algae from different plan. My mistake.....never clean the plant properly. Lucky my algae crew quite efficient.......managed to clean all except BGA. I've tried everything like change water and clean the first layer of the gravel. I even took the plant out and give them bleach wash. The only thing I haven't do is "black out".....which I would like to avoid cause after all the cleaning and shifting, my plant seem very weak.

Anyone know where to get the "medicine"

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do a search on BGA in the forum...there is already plenty of info on the hows and what they do to get rid of it. Don't blame Teos plants for giving you algae problems...it is not the fault of their plants but you. You need some serious reading up on how to grow plants well and not blame others on the misery you are now facing.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Sir......I never blame Teo lah. I got admit my mistake and I also read a lot already which I also mentioned in my first note. I also tried a lot stuff already......now want to try the antibiotic.

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:9f5a9fb3c3="Mchewer"]Sir......I never blame Teo lah. I got admit my mistake and I also read a lot already which I also mentioned in my first note. I also tried a lot stuff already......now want to try the antibiotic.[/quote:9f5a9fb3c3]

If you really want to go antibiotic way, just go across the causeway
    and ask the phamacies there. Its available without prescription. Not
    that I am encouraging it, but just answering your question.

Cheers
    Chong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You probably had read about blackout, I hope, and I know you will be denied the view of your aquarium for the next 3 days while the BGA is dying out. Look at it this way, it's a cheaper and proven way to rid your BGA.

Alternatively, do what I do but it takes a longer time for the BGA to clear. And it's tedious! I perform weekly 50% water change instead of fortnightly, massive and time-consuming picking and clearing of the BGA using a tweezer, removal of all plants and flushing them with clean water before replanting them again and finally, a full course of fertilisers.

PS: don't forget to put on your N95 mask.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I totally agreed with Geoffrey and Peter. Try the blackout method, it works wonder for me. 3-4 days and they are gone. FOC somemore.

BGA is one of the easiest to get rid off.

Read up on the past thread by Peter on the steps of how to do blackout. Plants are hardy. they won't die on you that easily. After that, make sure your CO2, nutrients, etc are in good range and just sit back and relax.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Alright! Good and solid advice. Will see how it goes in the next few day and will decide the course of action from there. But I notice one thing very interesting.....the BGA seem to get lesser during the afternoon and night when the light is off ( light on from 7:30am - 11:30am and 6:30pm - 11:00pm). but start to increase during the light on time.....emmmm....may the blackout is the best option after all.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    M-

Clean filter, clean tank off any and all algae you can, prune off as much algae as you can with some plants left.

Next after doing all the cleaning, do a large 50-60% water change.
    Turn off CO2, turn off lights, cover tank with 2 trash bags so that 0% light gets in.

Adjust filter output to increase circulation and surface agitation.

Add 1/4 teaspoon of KNO3 per 80 liters of tank.

Wait 3 days. Remove bag, connect CO2 back, lower surface turbulance(you will always want some though), do another 50-60% water change and add the same amount of KNO3 back.

Now for keeping the tank in good shape so you don't have algae hereafter.

****Always**** check your CO2 if you have lack luster growth or anything seems wrong or algae.
    Then check it again. Check the am and the pm times on the pH readings. Adjust to 20-30ppm, error on the higher side as a rule.
    Once you are confident of that, then you can deal with the other nutrients.

Add KNO3 at this same amount 2-4x a week depending on plant biomass, lighting, fish load.

Start with 2x a week for now.
    Add KH2PO4, a couple of rice grain's worth for the same 80 liter volume

Add about 4-5 mls of traces 3x a week.

This will get the plants goign again.

The trick is to get the plants to grow. Plants do not grow on antibiotics, growing plants is the goal here, not killing algae. Healthy plant growth = poor algae growth.

Snake oils, antibiotics, algicides etc are flawed for planted tank since they don't grow plants and that's why the algae grow.

It's also much cheaper to use KNO3, KH2PO4, traces etc than algicides.

Now you know what to do, so go at it and report back after doing this for 1-3 weeks.

It will not cost you anything to do a balckout and it's 100% effective just like antibiotics.

Tell you what, if you are really wanting to spend money, send me the $ for blackout method instructions instaed of paying $ for antibiotics.
    Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    great!just when i was abt to ask..."can get rid of BGA using blackout method?"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Yes, print it out and share it around.
    Drug companies want to sell as much as they can(added to animals/food supply, non prescirption, pets etc). Some enlighten places sell by prescirption only, do not add it to any of the food supply etc.

This method I suggest cost nothing and it a better method ethically as well.

Why so many people want to spend $ on something that does not address the issue is beyond me. Marketing the "Take a pill attitude".

But perhaps more will spread the gospel.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/duncan.griffiths/hp1.htm

chk out the above article on hydrogen peroxide~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Blackout will never kill your fish, I know a dozen people that got a bit to liberal with their H2O2.

Be careful and see what dosings will work. H2O2 is like bleach, both are very strong oxidizers.
    Use with respect.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Thank you for the generous advice.

Actually, I tried the other way round......rather than blackout, I "pump" the light continuously for 16 hours a day for 2 days. The result surprise me. All alga (except spot alga on the glass and BGA on Jave Moss) disappear. And the big bonus is my plant grow damm fast.

I believe the spot alga is common and unavoidable. However, the BGA......I guess, I'll just have to take the moss out and clean it. Hope this will resolve the BGA case.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    pump so much light...will get even worse for ur bba.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Green spot algae is avoidable and easily to deal with.
    Good PO4 and good CO2 take care of it.

I've done it and so have many others for a few years now but I think with as many folks that have beaten back using that method, we can safely say good CO2/PO4 will avoid it.
    Anubias in high light areas are prone and several folks have tried adding more CO2/PO4 and that took care of it for them.

I hate green spot but have not had issues because my water has had PO4 all along.

Regards,
    Tom Barr