Country
    Singapore

How to increase KH and PH.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello bros.. I am new here.

I need some advises regarding the KH and PH. I am using SERA KH & PH test kits to test my fish tank water. But the KH is so low (2 drops become yellow) and PH is about 6. I had added 1 tsp of baking soda to my fish tank (48x22x22cm) to increase KH and PH. But seems nothing changes at all.. Need some advise here.. I want to increase KH to 5 and PH to 6.8.

Thank you very much!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to increase KH and PH.

To increase KH, you need to use KH powder. Depending on the size of your tank, a 4x2x2 needs about 1 tablespoon to bring about an average of 1 KH point. It bests to mix it with water before pouring into your tank. Wait about an hour before taking reading.

A word of caution. If you have live stock in your tank, do not raise more than 1 KH point within a 24 hour period.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,there is a lot of factor regarding KH,GH and PH.
    Is your tank new? why do you want to increase the KH?
    here is an article explaining the relationship between KH,GH and PH
    It is a long write up and very informative.
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariumkh.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Hopefully,

Try adding 1 tsp of baking soda to 20 litres of water (approximately one bucket full) and ensure that it is well-mixed before adding to your water. The best way to do this will be during water changes if there are already fishes inside your tank and slowly let them accustomed. Test after about an hour to ensure that the added water is well-mixed throughout your tank.

Alternatively, you can add coral chips into your filter housing and slowly let the KH and PH creep up. Hope that helps!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am guessing its a planted tank and a KH of 5 is an ideal marker for a PH of 6.7
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just curious, what substrate are you using?

If it happens to be ADA Aquasoil Amazonia, then one of its features is the lowering of pH and kH (often measures less than 1-2 drops with kH test kit)... so if you are using those kind of substrates, then it'll be quite tough to constantly fight against what the soil is designed to do.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    To increase KH, you need to use KH powder. Depending on the size of your tank, a 4x2x2 needs about 1 tablespoon to bring about an average of 1 KH point. It bests to mix it with water before pouring into your tank. Wait about an hour before taking reading.

A word of caution. If you have live stock in your tank, do not raise more than 1 KH point within a 24 hour period.
    Hello David,
    Yes. I do have some fishes in my tank as well. I will try I use the method as you mentioned. Thanks a lot.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    Hi,there is a lot of factor regarding KH,GH and PH.
    Is your tank new? why do you want to increase the KH?
    here is an article explaining the relationship between KH,GH and PH
    It is a long write up and very informative.
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariumkh.html
    Hi..
    Yes. It's my new tank. I don't have much experience here. My plants are not growing nicely. I know the ideal rate of KH and PH is 5 KH and 6.8PH. If the KH rate is too low. The CO2 that i injected will be wasted. That's the reason why I need to raise up KH and PH.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Just curious, what substrate are you using?

If it happens to be ADA Aquasoil Amazonia, then one of its features is the lowering of pH and kH (often measures less than 1-2 drops with kH test kit)... so if you are using those kind of substrates, then it'll be quite tough to constantly fight against what the soil is designed to do.
    Hi.. I'm using HELP Advance Soil for Plants. Is this soil will also lowering of PH and KH? So, what kind of soil is the best?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
    Hi..
    Yes. It's my new tank. I don't have much experience here. My plants are not growing nicely. I know the ideal rate of KH and PH is 5 KH and 6.8PH. If the KH rate is too low. The CO2 that i injected will be wasted. That's the reason why I need to raise up KH and PH.
    There are a few factors why plants are not doing well and its good that you are attending to one of the factors now.

I may be wrong here but the principle of KH acts as a PH buffer so the CO2 you inject is not techincially wasted but it is just pushing your PH all the way down. While it is unwise to push KH up or down by 1 point, its the same for PH once you have live stock. If KH level drops too low, any more CO2 injection could result in a PH collapse.

Zero is right asking you to read the article so that you will have a more indepth understanding of water parimeters....I would read it if I were you....I know I did...;D
    [email protected]