Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: how long does your tetra last in your tank?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-6 days

2 1.03%
  • 1-2 weeks

1 0.51%
  • 2-3 weeks

2 1.03%
  • 3-4 weeks

3 1.54%
  • 1-2 months

3 1.54%
  • 2-3 months

8 4.10%
  • 4 months and above

176 90.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifespan of tetras in your tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My cardinals are behaving a little different from yours. They are swimming freely around the tank. However, whenever someone approcahes the tank, they will go hide behind the driftwood or at the back of the tank. Of course, they will come towards me during feeding time.

Quote Originally Posted by equidorz View Post
    i gt 100pcs of cardinal in my 4 ft for 1 year already. still growin well and lively but one thing my fish likes to hide behind the moss and drift wood. the only time they swim out is when i feed them. but a small movement will scare them. any suggestions to help improve this symptom?
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh thanks riccia and yeoyL87 for the advices given, acutally my fish also same sympton as you. they normally swim freely but tends to hide when any one approach or have any movement. but i bought 16 rummy nose today @ c328. the cardinals seem to be braver after i add in the rummy nose. haha boast the cardinals confident. hope my cardinals will be braver after some time..
    Last edited by Quixotic; 29th Sep 2007 at 22:08. Reason: Spelling

Hi all of you checking on characin ages...

this is Heiko Bleher collecting tetras (and all other fishes) for several decades now and I wanted to tell you:

1. Cardinal tetra live in nature normally never more than one year, but in aquaria, well kept, 10 years is not rare. As a matter of a fact, my dear friend who unfortunately past away last year, Jacques Gery (see www.aquapress-bleher.com under Special Events), and who has described many characoids including the Paracheirodon simulans (and a new neon I found last year, to be published soon) had in one aquarium a few Cardinal tetras for almost 12 year, without a filter or air stone in it...

2. One must naturally distinguish as there are more than 1600 different characoids in America and Africa, and some are very predatory fishes. But I would say that an age of 2-3 year is normal for most, and well kept, most of the will live much longer in aquaria.

3. And remember: in aquaria all fishes if kept well (and definately the best is to keep them according to their habitat and nature, which by fat is best - have alook at my Biotopes, that is the way fishes should be kept - in their own communities within their authentic habitat) live much longer than in nature. Ie Hemigrammus bleheri (the brilliant rummy nose) and Cardinals, both in larger groups, make a perfect environment, they live together...

All the best

Heiko
    Best regards,
    Heiko Bleher

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    so far my cardinal has been with me for 6mths

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I've had two for about two years now and the other four about one year.
    Breeding golden snakeskin guppies

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    one of my 3 year old Congos just died on monday... he was the alpha male... left with 2 females now
    If I were a fish, I'd BREED all Day!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    i bought 16 neon tetras since march and only 13 survived to this date but all have grown bigger since.. hoping to find a good source for cardinals... much tougher than neons i think but rare in our LFS...
    To be... Rather than seem...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Lifespan of tetras in your tank?

Heheh 5+years now and going...
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he will drink beer while getting sunburnt.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

ember tetras are with me for 2 years and counting...
    The role of master and servant begin to cloud in the water..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China

I have raise Inpaichthys kerri for 2 years
    this picture is their children
    101130213703e467e53ee860de[1].jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

most of my cardinals and black neons survived 2.5 years+. now dying 1 by one when i mixed with 2 female guppies. i think due to over crowding as 2 female guppies were preggy and did not stop giving birth until the next generation was old enogh to continue breeding process. so from 2 guppies i have like 30+ guppies. and from around 40 tetras, i now have only 15.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

4 Cardinals in my tank, approximately 4 years old. Acquired as juveniles, now huge adults.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Most of the South American Characins I prefer to keep have lived between three and five years for me.
    I have had an Nannostomus eques live close to seven years but it outlasted it's mates by about three years.
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

my neons seem to be quite aggressive, think they will kill each other before they reach old age... some have bite marks but they are a pretty active bunch

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Lifespan of tetras in your tank?

My neons a few are on the 3rd year. Had like around 30, now around 15.

Most died are from finrot
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

My recorder tetras:

Congo tetra - 6 years
    Black widow - 5 years
    Diamond tetra - 5 years
    Blue emperor (Royal ) tetra (I. kerri) - 4 years
    Serpae tetra - 3 years

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My water pump was giving off a humming sound and I peeped into the hidden chamber to look. There in that cylindrical box was a tiny neon tetra that I though was eaten by a gourami and I had the culprit removed. (regret! How did it get there?!)

It survived 6 weeks without food and in strong current within a confined space while its cousins are already twice its size. So much for the remarkable resilience of tetra.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune, the Mystic View Post
    My water pump was giving off a humming sound and I peeped into the hidden chamber to look. There in that cylindrical box was a tiny neon tetra that I though was eaten by a gourami and I had the culprit removed. (regret! How did it get there?!)

It survived 6 weeks without food and in strong current within a confined space while its cousins are already twice its size. So much for the remarkable resilience of tetra.
    I disconnected my Ehiem for cleaning yesterday and found two shrimps very much alive..... but due to my fat fingers, I killed them while trying to get them back into the tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, I've got my cardinals for 2 months but their colours are still dull from the time I got them.

Any suggestion to improve their colours this? I'm feeding them pellets and occasionally brine shimps.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by alchemistkc View Post
    Hi, I've got my cardinals for 2 months but their colours are still dull from the time I got them.

Any suggestion to improve their colours this? I'm feeding them pellets and occasionally brine shimps.
    Whats the pH and TDS of your tank water? Cardinal tetras prefer lower pH and lower TDS water (ie. soft acidic water), so that may affect their overall condition and colors.

Maybe you can try feeding them pellet food with color enhancing ingredients, can try brands like New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula, it works well for my fishes.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast