Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

fert dosage advice for my tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

Recently just cleared off BBA & my CO2 PPM is in the recommended range now.

How do i use the following power form fertilizer & how much to dose & how frequent:
    1]NO3
    2]PO4
    3]Traces elements

My tank spec:
    1]2 x 1.5 x 1.5
    2]Dophin 500 external filter with surface skimmer
    3]2 x 40watt PL light illum 10 hours daily with 3 hours lights OFF in between
    4]Pressurized co2 system with reactor
    5]PH6.8
    6]KH4
    7]Fishes:40 Cardinal tetras, 4 otos, 2 cherry bard
    8]Plants:erect moss on log, xamss moss on log & wall, E.tenullus, Red Tiger Lotus, L.Cuba, crypto

thank you

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: fert dosage advice for my tank

There are a few links in the FAQ regarding dosing and preparing stock solution. See http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpbb...ic.php?t=12122

Maintain a routine of dosing and water change is important as well. Dosing can be done once or twice weekly.

You tank parameters look good.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi justjoin

Sorry for the digression....

Just curious, how do you cramp 40 cardinal tetras plus others into a 2 x 1.5x 1.5? Have you been doing this successfully w little fatalities, or is this the 1st time you're doing this? I know your nick belies your experience in fishkeeping.

So, why are you doing what is obviously unhealthy for the fish? Do you have a scheme, like daily water changes? Or some tricks that we could use?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Okay, my mistake! Mind registered the tank size as 1 x 1.5 x 1.5. Nonetheless, your numbers still lean towards the high side IMO, unless the tetras are all juveniles. I'm still interested to know how successful this kind of fish population will be, given the tank size.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks juggler for the info, will read up soon.

Hi elmike, My tank is 2 by 1.5 by 1.5 feet. What made you think it's too cramp for 40 cardinal tetras in there?So far so good, no casualities which i know of. Only started this tank in April 2004 which i upgraded from my 1.5ft tank.
    BTW, how many tetras should i keep there to achieve best result in term of fish ratio to tank my size?
    I am still thinking of adding another 10 tetras...what do you think?

rgds
    adrian

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:d6bafb08="justjoin"]BTW, how many tetras should i keep there to achieve best result in term of fish ratio to tank my size?
    I am still thinking of adding another 10 tetras...what do you think?

rgds
    adrian[/quote:d6bafb08]

[quote:d6bafb08="elmike"]Okay, my mistake! Mind registered the tank size as 1 x 1.5 x 1.5. Nonetheless, your numbers still lean towards the high side IMO, unless the tetras are all juveniles.[/quote:d6bafb08]

Assuming your tank is 25 gallons, I would be more comfortable w 20-25 fishes, if you would buy into the "1 inch of slim-bodied fish per gallon" guideline.

Of course, it is always better to err on the low side than otherwise. With fish in an essentially closed system, less is always better.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    elmike, if i'm running a 2X1X1ft tank, how many fishes should i keep? I believe that if you feed the fishes minimal, they should be alright. I have 40 rasbora espei, 3 otos, 1 cigar in my glosso tank and nothing has happened. Water change every 6 days (easier to calculate, cos 6X5 = 30 days) Tank running for 1 month already but everythings still good. No algae except the normal spot algae on the glass.
    Cheers
    Bryan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Fish will grow. Have you seen how big healthy rasbora or cardinals can get? It's still too early to say that everything's ok. Let the fish grow and mature first.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    For this tank I'd do the follwoing routine:
    Fully planted to the gills.

2x a week 30-50% water changes
    Or a weekly 50-70% water change

Weekly:
    Dosing: 1/8 teaspoon of KNO3 every other day
    Dosing of KH2PO4, a rice grain's worth on smae day as KNO3.
    Traces: Flourish or TMG, 5mls on off days

You can also just dose the KNO3/KH2PO4 after the water change and the traces the day after for the 2x a week water change routine.
    Volume of the dosing will remain the same.

See how the plants and tank respond to the 2x a week vs the week method. You can probably get away with less dosing with the lighting and fish load you have so you can try less also pretty saftely.
    If you do the 2x a week routine, that should be about right though.

Keep the CO2 up no matter what though.

Do not add more fish to this tank!!!!
    Get a bigger tank if you want more fish.

If you add anything, add more shrimp/algae eaters only.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:54d5276602="Encriptic"]elmike, if i'm running a 2X1X1ft tank, how many fishes should i keep?.....
    I have 40 rasbora espei, 3 otos, 1 cigar in my glosso tank and nothing has happened. Water change every 6 days (easier to calculate, cos 6X5 = 30 days)[/quote:54d5276602]

That's even smaller. I would be more comfortable w 15.

[quote:54d5276602="Encriptic"]Tank running for 1 month already but everythings still good.[/quote:54d5276602]

That's probably a flash in the pan. It'll take a while before you see real results

I had gone through similar experience where fishes in an overcrowded tank would be okay for a while, even 2 mths, and then things started to happen. Bear in mind the contagion effect in overloaded tank would be more severe.

victri made an important point. Fishes grow and you need to know their potential full-grown size. I got 2 clown loaches 3 yrs back and they have grown trice their initial size and mind you, they can growth to 9-10 inches. I now wish they would stop growing and am thinking if there is any growth retarder in the market that I could use to achieve this?

Wow, it sure feels good to have people coming to you w questions as if your're one big time fishguru!