Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolbitis heudelotii sold w/o rhizome

Feedback Score

Bolbitis heudelotii sold w/o rhizome

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    recently i bought some stalks of Bolbitis heudelotii and i am surprised that it was sold without the rhizome and w/o the roots. each stalk is just a stem of leave itself.

I assume that the roots will just grow by itself? is Bolbitis heudelotii harvested and sold without the rhizome and w/o the roots? should it be harvested by cutting the rhizome instead of the stalk? i am asking because i am worried that i may be buying a dead leave.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    As long the water is cold enough, the leaf will last 1 to 2 weeks, but I doubt it will reprogate itself.Maybe I am wrong but it never last on me just the leaf alone.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dun worry. the roots will grow provided u have good water conditions.the same batch of plants that i have are bubbling ..
    Just a student with no income but a great passion for aquatic life.

HOW COME YOU FELL FOR THIS CON JOB ! WHY YOU DID NOT PAY ATTENTION DURING YOUR BIO CLASS ...... HOW CAN ROOTS GROW FROM THE LEAF STEM ?
    NEXT TIME PAY ATTENTION ... BUT DON'T WORRY YOU PAID TO LEARN !

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:191cbe3fa2="bila2"]HOW COME YOU FELL FOR THIS CON JOB ! WHY YOU DID NOT PAY ATTENTION DURING YOUR BIO CLASS ...... HOW CAN ROOTS GROW FROM THE LEAF STEM ?
    NEXT TIME PAY ATTENTION ... BUT DON'T WORRY YOU PAID TO LEARN ![/quote:191cbe3fa2]

Hey, there is no need to shout here in this forum. You have bad manners. Also, for ferns, the roots does grow out of the leaves. So Bolbitis heudelotii, a water fern should be the same. For propagation,you could try to flip the leaves over and tied to a driftwood. This works well for java ferns and help the leaves develop rhizomes. Try it. As for you, bila...watch you post. Thanks. Life is a life long learning journey.
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:e0eb251918="woodduck"]As long the water is cold enough, the leaf will last 1 to 2 weeks, but I doubt it will reprogate itself.Maybe I am wrong but it never last on me just the leaf alone.[/quote:e0eb251918]

does yours come with rhizome and roots?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Although some books claim that Bolbitis heudlotti can be propagated via leaf cuttings, I have never found any evidence. I tried cutting off leaves from my existing rhizomes and left them in a tank for months, but nothing happened. I think selling the ferns without the rhizomes is an unfortunate practice.

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:2c3a9c427d="budak"]Although some books claim that Bolbitis heudlotti can be propagated via leaf cuttings, I have never found any evidence. I tried cutting off leaves from my existing rhizomes and left them in a tank for months, but nothing happened. I think selling the ferns without the rhizomes is an unfortunate practice.[/quote:2c3a9c427d]

its so discouraging to hear that becasue i spent $40 on the leaves w/o the rhizomes

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

*edited*

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:2ab3dcc400="balacam"][quote:2ab3dcc400="budak"]Although some books claim that Bolbitis heudlotti can be propagated via leaf cuttings, I have never found any evidence. I tried cutting off leaves from my existing rhizomes and left them in a tank for months, but nothing happened. I think selling the ferns without the rhizomes is an unfortunate practice.[/quote:2ab3dcc400]

its so discouraging to hear that becasue i spent $40 on the leaves w/o the rhizomes[/quote:2ab3dcc400]

That's strange, does it come in a pot? Even those that comes in pots
    have rhizomes. I would prefer it to come with wood as its a lot
    easier, tying it is troublesome and may cause it to dry out too much
    and die.

Just some info, cheer up and try again.

Cheers
    Chong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Bolbitis heudelotii sold w/o rhizome

[quote:e70fa529d0="balacam"]recently i bought some stalks of Bolbitis heudelotii and i am surprised that it was sold without the rhizome and w/o the roots. each stalk is just a stem of leave itself.

I assume that the roots will just grow by itself? is Bolbitis heudelotii harvested and sold without the rhizome and w/o the roots? should it be harvested by cutting the rhizome instead of the stalk? i am asking because i am worried that i may be buying a dead leave.[/quote:e70fa529d0]

Bro, where u buy frm?

Feedback Score

Re: Bolbitis heudelotii sold w/o rhizome

[quote:2480c5fa55="balacam"] i am asking because i am worried that i may be buying a dead leave.[/quote:2480c5fa55]

indeed i am buying dead leaves. they are turning black and starting to melt.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Balacam,

I paid $30 for my Bolbitis. It came tied on a piece of wood and with a lot of roots on the rhizomes. In fact it grow so fast in my tank that I need to cut away the old leave to make way for new leave.
    In my tank there is a small piece of rhizomes (about 3 cm) with a small branch of rhizome coming out, no leave yet. If you don't mind the size, I can pass it on to you.

Charles

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Hi 'balacam'
    Sorry to hear about your misadventure, but at least you learnt about "buyers beware". As per Chong's advice, get those in pots or already tied on driftwood... at least you know the rhizomes are there.

Like Budak, I've never gotten any sprouts from just leaves alone... it just sit there and rot!

Chong, Bolbitis do dry out very fast but having a water-mister help keep the plant moist while we tie with our klutzy fingers
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Hi,

I'm interested to sell away mine.

They are tied to 3 drift woods and cover an area of approx 30 x 30 cm.

New sprouts of leaves grow readily.

Selling price $60 for the whole bunch including the driftwoods.

Interested please sms me at 97616140.

I'm staying in the East(Bedok Reservoir Road).

ehh... just wondering why does this plant command such high price? is it because it is hard to propagate?

thanks

Feedback Score
    Personally, I've found this fern to be the hardest to cultivate.

But once it started sprouting new leaves, it's a low maint. plant requiring just occasionally removing those old aged leaves.

This plant is more suitable for tank of 4 feet and above to allow it to grow densely and provide a "wild" look in your tank.

I also find that the brighter the light, the more the leaves will grow upright and of lighter shade(more transparent).

Btw, I've narrow leaf java fern for sale too. Interested parties, please reply with your price for narrow leaf java fern.

Feedback Score
    Hi all,

fyi, all the Bolbitis and narrow leaf java fern have been reserved.

Thanx for all the interest.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Cytokinins (such as benzylaminopurine [BAP], kinetin, zeatin) can be used to induce plant growth from leafs cuttings.

perhaps you can try some (azoo brand has..) try making your own tissue cultures.

there is a word for it, (maybe polymorphic), that is used to describe how ANY part of plant can be grown into the full plant itself. (kind of like stem cells).

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:cca301c0c0="RonWill"]Hi 'balacam'
    Sorry to hear about your misadventure, but at least you learnt about "buyers beware". As per Chong's advice, get those in pots or already tied on driftwood... at least you know the rhizomes are there.

Like Budak, I've never gotten any sprouts from just leaves alone... it just sit there and rot!

Chong, Bolbitis do dry out very fast but having a water-mister help keep the plant moist while we tie with our klutzy fingers [/quote:cca301c0c0]

Haha, thanks for the tip. At least I do not have to tie the more complicated ones underwater.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast