Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: TWINSTAR NANO for inhibition of algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    As advised from Green Chapter, we have to clear the existing algae problem in our mature tanks first as the device only serves to break down the algae spores and not the algae itself.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

if you are looking to breakdown algae spores, you can use UV sterilizer which is much cheaper.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    if you are looking to breakdown algae spores, you can use UV sterilizer which is much cheaper.
    I agree with you bro Shadow. However, bentificial bacteria will be killed off by the UV sterilizer as well which might do more harm than good.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

no will not, those beneficial bacteria that colonized your filter media, substrate or rocks will not be effected.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    no will not, those beneficial bacteria that colonized your filter media, substrate or rocks will not be effected.
    Oh ok, learnt something new today again. Well maybe I'll try UV sterilizer out when my Twinstar fails on me (hopefully not so soon). Haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

As mentioned before, the only way to rid algae is to destroy them at cellular level and the only way know so far is the use of UVC.

That being said, UV sterilization is dependent on the wattage of the bulb aas well as the flow rate. Effectively speaking, it only treats the symptom and not the root or cause of an algae infestation.

It is effective against Green Water and free floating spores. However what is in the tank reminds in the tank.

I cannot stress more the importance of knowing how to control water perimeters, lighting and nutrients.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

David, you can stress it 1000 times but whenever there is new product that promise to get rid of algae every one will flock in, taking shortcut is a human instinct
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

don't 100% depend on products like this and UV.

keep and mantain a healthy tank, you can use supplements but don't depend on them solely. you need healthy plants and well maintained ecosystem inside the tank.

just like a healthy person can't depend solely on supplement to keep healthy. need to exercise regularly. thou it cannot stop him or her from minor flu from occuring but helps to reduce occurrence and recovery.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

110% agree with you Shadow.....
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So many gears in our tank these days, are we planting or gearing ? I feel this just an another way for aquarist to find a way in to their balance.

It's not 100% successful, in the end you still control light amount, co2, ferts, pruning, water change etc.

And please note hearing from other neighbor forum, this should be replaced every 6 months / year. And this not cheap!

So be wise before purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've been following the Twinstar system for a while too... not sure if you guys have seen this but just to share, the manufacturer did some tests using 2 planted tanks with the exact same setups, but one is equipped with the twinstar system and one without (this is the best way to do a test comparison for such equipment, rather than just based on single tank tests, since everyone's setup is different):

http://www.twinstarnano.com/iqvbbs/b..._user&wr_id=24

From the test results, it seems to work in inhibiting initial algae growth and allowing the plants to better out-compete algae, but this is with a new setup that starts with the Twinstar system from the beginning and with all the proper conditions made to avoid algae (not in tanks with existing algae, which probably already have underlying issues that need to be solved first).

They even did another test with 2 more tanks, but this time they set them up with the worst conditions to purposely encourage algae growth... by using mostly slower growing plants, low plant mass, too much light and lots of fertilizers:

http://www.twinstarnano.com/iqvbbs/b..._user&wr_id=15

Interestingly those tank conditions look very similar to what new aquarists would usually do when setting up a "simple" iwugami tank with just HC or glosso.

In those conditions, algae still grows like crazy in both tanks (which demonstrates that its not a "magic bullet" to totally eliminate algae)... just that in the twinstar equipped tank the algae takes more time to appear and blooms less aggressively.

So i guess those tests describe the Twinstar system as a tool to help reduce or slow down algae growth, allowing users to have a slightly wider margin of error (ie. if they happen to slack a week in maintenance, or overstock or overfeed abit too much)... but for it to work effectively, fundamental conditions in the tank still needs to be kept in balance or else algae will still grow.

Btw, i'm not promoting Twinstar, i'm just a potential customer who is also considering the product and doing my research too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For me, I look it this way. I would like to enjoy sitting down watching my tank for hours. Yes EI method works, provided I strictly adhere to the dosing and water change regime.

Unlike Amano with his legions of assistant, I'm a one man army. Like anyone else, we can't be pre-occupied only with this strict regime, our daily lives need to move on too. I know, on ocassions when we slack in maintenance, we have to work triple hard to get things back to normal.

I don't mind spend some on technology which can help me maintain some of the things that I need to do manually, really I don't mind. I like to enjoy fish/plant keeping and not labour too much while basic water change, dosing and testing is still a must.

So let's not shun gears or new technology or what not. Would you prefer to second guess your tank pH or manually shut of C02 everday?

I would like to try this product as my tank is a tall tank and require high lighting to penetrate light to my HC. Stop of buying a PAR meter (another gear), I guess I'll try this first. Lighting is the problem for my setup (too much) and the combination of difficult plants (low + high light requirements) with varying nutrient uptake.

Everybody's tank is different, so what remedy that works 100% for one might not work 100% for others. Anyway, once I start using it, I'll share the results here. Should be interesting and not disappointing I hope.
    Last edited by greenie; 14th Nov 2013 at 03:25.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, i've been doing researched too on Twinstar and what i found is more or less of what Urban had said.
    It is not the holy grail to vanish all algae forever. There will be algae,you can even see it on the twinstar nano plate holder.
    The best is to have a balance of all element in an aquatic tank and with the amount spend,IMHO i would rather spend it on my
    2 lt of seachem excel which is going to last me quite sometime to finish it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I was in Hong Kong 3 weeks back and saw a few tank with this device. BBA existed on all tanks. The owner is an Aquascaping award winner . The price is rather high. Most of us tend to have BBA issues rather than any other algae I think which this device don't seem to have an effect on.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My bet we see mostly bba in LFS because, sometime they share filters and co2 among couple tanks, as efficient as possible

or else they end up with high operational expenditure, and slash the revenue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ok giving up my obstinate,

Get Nano from our good retail friend, plugged them in last night. Will review what happen next, if it screw i will rescape.

Hopefully could be my cleaner assistant,

Amano keep jumping out of the tank, i hate to keep them purchased, and Winter is not their breed seasonal too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dhmy2kgto View Post
    Bought one unit to try, been 2 weeks since I planted my 2 feet tank. 2 sets of Pro-Z lights on 6 hours a day with CO2 at about 6 bps at 7 hours a day (activated 1 hour before lights switched on). From personal observation, plants seems to be growing well and not a single spot of algae so far. Will be increasing the timing for lighting to 8 hours once the plants are better established and will update again. One thing I noticed is that the bubbles when released do not dissolved in the water immediately and left on the surface of the water.

Agree with qool that this product is meant more for new tanks rather than mature tanks that already have algae problems.

Hope this helps. Wonder if Green Chapter will bring in the replacement parts in future.
    Just a quick update to share. Brown algae has invaded my tank despite Twinstar being in there... Gotten algae crew to clean up as much as possible. My conclusion..... Twinstar or no Twinstar, at the end of the day, algae will still appear and algae cleaning crew is still a necessity. Maybe I am doing something wrong, not too sure... :/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

6 bps for 2 feet is a lot, if you get BBA still, check flow and light intensity.

Mine is 3 feet, 1 year+ tank, 3-4 Bps, 8x Filter flow capacity, never hit by any BBA.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

applogize, yours is brown algae. Not BBA

Correction,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by milk_vanilla View Post
    applogize, yours is brown algae. Not BBA

Correction,
    Hi milk_vanilla, I have lowered the CO2 to 3bps since noticing the emergence of some green hair algae. Hope I would never have to face BBA, gonna be a pain if that happened....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast